R1200C demise not R18 problem

• Thread starter Deleted member 1344
  • Start date
I couldn't disagree more. I and many others loved that bike. I still kick myself for getting rid of it when I was getting the R18. The R18 is a different bike, and I love it also, but back in '99 when I got my 1200C, its combination of torque and handling beat other cruisers from my perspective. Nearly 100n-m of torque at 3000rmp and 200 lbs lighter than the R18.... I just don't remember anybody complaining about it at the time.

And I don't recall it being marketed as "retro" at all. It was just BMW's take on a modern cruiser at the time.

It wasn't a flop any more than the R18 is a flop. It made a big splash at the time but was never ubiquitous. I really don't think that the R18 will be any different, which is fine by me.

As to awful chrome, I don't get that either. This was mine just before I got rid of it after more than 20 years of ownership. Chrome held up great. It was garage kept, but other than that, I didn't do anything special in the care and feeding department.

While you might personally hate the looks, I can promise you that there are a bunch of people who also hate the R18's looks also. My airhead friends think that the R18 is the biggest abomination since...well...the R1200C....

View attachment 7176
Still own my C and have had an r18 classic fe for over a year.... Two terrific bikes, two very different rides.
To each his own, but each bike is 'wonderful' in it's own way.

MY vote for the all-time ugliest bike has got to go to the '94 Goldwing. In my eyes, it's a rolling turd. Bleecchhhhhh!!!!

Attachments

• goldwing.jpg
    goldwing.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 6
Back