R18 - Aftermarket ECU options

I had a diffeeent manual downloaded first. I’ve learned a great deal in this process. How to factory reset and completely update windows computer. Ftdichip.com has Ftdi driver package. How to turn off anti.virus scan temporarily for the necessary drivers to work. Where my diagnostic is under the right side panel…. Which manual is correct for my bike. Why I switched to Mac:). If your not learnin your not livin’. Stock settings file sent, Phew. Time to put bike parts back on and go for a rip and take mental notes of pre tune feel. Stoked.

I have called the hattach folks to see if they have a dyno run for their complete system vs stock. I'll report back.

I have been pondering this for a while. My experience with exhaust and intake mods are mostly with hp and higher rpm engines. Not so much with low end torque beasts. Everyone by now is aware that the old school free flow straight pipe setup was/is a mess for low rpm applications.

I think BMW does the low tech flapper valve solution for the low exhaust volume (and associated velocity) problem at lower rpm's. I wonder now if the cat and flapper valve are 'tuned' to keep descent scavenging exhaust velocities at the lower rpm range where all the torque is. Or possibly/more than likely the flapper is just for noise. Not sure freeing things up for 3000 rpm is an issue to be solved . Idk. For the r18 I really don't care about anything above 3500 rpm.

I am not smart enough to know. But smart enough to opine...

From a pure ecu mapping point, it appears @BT Moto has done a great job with the torque dip low in the range. That is where I would spend my money if I were looking for actual performance improvements. For sound, find a slip on you like.

Edit: I do recall reading on another forum some time ago and the dyno said that the flapper was causing the torque dip that we see. Ymmv.

Last edited:
So I’ve had the weekend to try out the Bren Tune. I can report a positive experience with it. Note that this is based on my 2022 R18 Transcontinental, but I suspect it’s the same with all R18s. Here goes…

I feel the engine to be smoother over the RPM range, and more snappier in Rock mode (the only mode I use). It seems to accelerate quicker, and I believe the shifting is smoother as well. On a brief full throttle run, I was surprised how quickly it got to 100 mph, with it seemingly getting a second wind at that point with it even pulling a bit stronger. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to see its top speed, as I was on a public freeway. If I can find out its top speed with the new tune I’ll post back.

There are a couple downsides however.
One, when running WOT you can visibly see the fuel gauge go down. Yes, you can expect to see your fuel range go down quite a bit depending how you’re riding it, but I expected that.
Secondly, if you decide that you need a software update done by the dealer, you’ll have to revert back to the stock tune, and then pay $100 to have the map re-done with the updated BMW tune. Unfortunately I may have to do this as I’ve been experiencing connectivity issues with the TFT, and a upcoming mid to late December BMW software update is supposed to fix these issues.

Still, I’m happy with the Bren Tune, but would’ve waited to install it if I had completely read Bren Tuning’s fine print to prevent having to pay the extra $100.

So I’ve had the weekend to try out the Bren Tune. I can report a positive experience with it. Note that this is based on my 2022 R18 Transcontinental, but I suspect it’s the same with all R18s. Here goes…

I feel the engine to be smoother over the RPM range, and more snappier in Rock mode (the only mode I use). It seems to accelerate quicker, and I believe the shifting is smoother as well. On a brief full throttle run, I was surprised how quickly it got to 100 mph, with it seemingly getting a second wind at that point with it even pulling a bit stronger. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to see its top speed, as I was on a public freeway. If I can find out its top speed with the new tune I’ll post back.

One, when running WOT you can visibly see the fuel gauge go down. Yes, you can expect to see your fuel range go down quite a bit depending how you’re riding it, but I expected that.
Secondly, if you decide that you need a software update done by the dealer, you’ll have to revert back to the stock tune, and then pay $100 to have the map re-done with the updated BMW tune. Unfortunately I may have to do this as I’ve been experiencing connectivity issues with the TFT, and a upcoming mid to late December BMW software update is supposed to fix these issues.

Still, I’m happy with the Bren Tune, but would’ve waited to install it if I had completely read Bren Tuning’s fine print to prevent having to pay the extra $100.
"you can visibly see the fuel gauge go down"

not a problem!

/no fuel gauge
//if you have to explain a joke...

Thank you for the update. Should be getting my tuning files from Bren sometime next week so hopefully by the end of the week I’ll be able to install it. Did you have to update your Bren tune files after dealer update? Perhaps I’ll call my dealer tomorrow and see if they can do a quick dealer install. Didn’t do it after first service cause I did it in my garage. Strange that no service light has shown up ever…?

I thought that if you turned it back to the stock tune before going to the dealer you could just go back to your new tune when you got it back??

To clarify, our tuning works with your current software version. This is why we have you email us a file then we email you back a mod file. If your software is updated by the dealer, we also need to update the tuning file or it will be incompatible with the new software. Much like you experience with certain apps on your computer or phone. We charge the $100 because we have to make a new file for your motorcycle based on your questionnaire and software version. This takes time to do but we really only try to charge the minimum for the work.

Thank you for the update. Should be getting my tuning files from Bren sometime next week so hopefully by the end of the week I’ll be able to install it. Did you have to update your Bren tune files after dealer update? Perhaps I’ll call my dealer tomorrow and see if they can do a quick dealer install. Didn’t do it after first service cause I did it in my garage. Strange that no service light has shown up ever…?
The only BMW update I’m concerned with is for the TFT. If you don’t have a R18 B or TC, I’d go ahead and update without worry.

The only BMW update I’m concerned with is for the TFT. If you don’t have a R18 B or TC, I’d go ahead and update without worry.

At times a TFT update doesn't involve an ECU update so always good to check if the bike still flashes after you get it back from the dealer. If faced with an "incompatible" error when trying to flash, it means they also updated the ECU.

Mine is a naked r18 so I think I’ll wait for a spell before getting the dealer update. I’ve had no computer issues so far. I heard a rumor there is limited update capacity in the bike but that may have been either BS or I misunderstood something (happens a bunch).

Finally got to try out the Bren map. Couple of caveats. It was really cold (for california 48°F), the roads were damp (wet in places) and I only had an hour and a half.

That being said and to make a long story short very worth it. The bike is just faster. More torque at even lower rpm and more torque and power on the top end. Seems to be happier at higher revs than before. The power is steady as well. Took me by surprise actually. The throttle response made me feel more connected to the engine. Anytime I wanted more gusto it immediately answered. I accidentally got up to 85 mph in a 50 zone because the acceleration was so smooth and fast.

I would say in general the way the bike was running seemed more confidence inspiring. It had been sitting in my cold garage (last night 28°F) for quite a while and it started smoother than it ever has. It was loud tho. I took my silencers off a bit ago and it was a bit loud then but now I’m contemplating quieting the thing down a bit. Thing is if I ride it conservatively in Roll or Rain mode it’s not too much. In Rock mode the bike turns into a different beast.

I look forward to exploring further tomorrow. Hopefully the roads dry out a bit more. I will certainly dress warmer for less distraction.

Back