R18 - Aftermarket ECU options

Finally got to try out the Bren map. Couple of caveats. It was really cold (for california 48°F), the roads were damp (wet in places) and I only had an hour and a half.

That being said and to make a long story short very worth it. The bike is just faster. More torque at even lower rpm and more torque and power on the top end. Seems to be happier at higher revs than before. The power is steady as well. Took me by surprise actually. The throttle response made me feel more connected to the engine. Anytime I wanted more gusto it immediately answered. I accidentally got up to 85 mph in a 50 zone because the acceleration was so smooth and fast.
I agree with your observations, and worth the money to me as well.

Finally got to try out the Bren map. Couple of caveats. It was really cold (for california 48°F), the roads were damp (wet in places) and I only had an hour and a half.

That being said and to make a long story short very worth it. The bike is just faster. More torque at even lower rpm and more torque and power on the top end. Seems to be happier at higher revs than before. The power is steady as well. Took me by surprise actually. The throttle response made me feel more connected to the engine. Anytime I wanted more gusto it immediately answered. I accidentally got up to 85 mph in a 50 zone because the acceleration was so smooth and fast.

I would say in general the way the bike was running seemed more confidence inspiring. It had been sitting in my cold garage (last night 28°F) for quite a while and it started smoother than it ever has. It was loud tho. I took my silencers off a bit ago and it was a bit loud then but now I’m contemplating quieting the thing down a bit. Thing is if I ride it conservatively in Roll or Rain mode it’s not too much. In Rock mode the bike turns into a different beast.

I look forward to exploring further tomorrow. Hopefully the roads dry out a bit more. I will certainly dress warmer for less distraction.
Looking forward to hearing more on your experiences with the Bren map.

To clarify, our tuning works with your current software version. This is why we have you email us a file then we email you back a mod file. If your software is updated by the dealer, we also need to update the tuning file or it will be incompatible with the new software. Much like you experience with certain apps on your computer or phone. We charge the $100 because we have to make a new file for your motorcycle based on your questionnaire and software version. This takes time to do but we really only try to charge the minimum for the work.
So Mr Bren Tune guy, I have your hand held, purchased 3 years ago and used for my K1600, very satisfied with the K1600B version.
Any updates in 3 years for the KB.
What is required for the R18 upgrade?

So Mr Bren Tune guy, I have your hand held, purchased 3 years ago and used for my K1600, very satisfied with the K1600B version.
Any updates in 3 years for the KB.
What is required for the R18 upgrade?
Hearing you give such positive feedback to BrenTune bodes well.

At times a TFT update doesn't involve an ECU update so always good to check if the bike still flashes after you get it back from the dealer. If faced with an "incompatible" error when trying to flash, it means they also updated the ECU.
So brought my TC to my dealer on the 11th for "hopefully" a TFT firmware update. Though I did revert to the stock map before bringing it. Well, an update was done, but just a small one according to the service manager and no updates to the TFT, and they're not sure exactly what was updated. Anyway I just now attempted to reload my custom Bren Tune to the bike, and it worked - no incompatible error, and the MyGeniusClient app reports that the custom tune is loaded on the bike again. Very nice!

So if you do bring your B or TC to the dealer for an update, make sure to check if your Bren Tune can be re-loaded afterwards.

Since the bike runs lean, you want to run ethanol free 89 octane fuel.
I wish but,we don't have ethanol free fuel here in these parts.The Bren Tune is remarkable and addresses the rough idle and lean condition.Truely night and day difference.
Since the R18 has wide band O2 sensors it really has a broader range to adjust AFR espicially with the BT Moto tuner.
I would recommend the tuner as a 1st option to add to the R18 over anything,well except maybe for that Gawd Awful Seat,LOL!

I wish but,we don't have ethanol free fuel here in these parts.The Bren Tune is remarkable and addresses the rough idle and lean condition.Truely night and day difference.
Since the R18 has wide band O2 sensors it really has a broader range to adjust AFR espicially with the BT Moto tuner.
I would recommend the tuner as a 1st option to add to the R18 over anything,well except maybe for that Gawd Awful Seat,LOL!
Mine is due to arrive tomorrow.

Mine is due to arrive tomorrow.
Hey MD,
The process to get everything downloaded, answer 25 questions and send info, then retrive the map is a bit much.My wife has a I.T. degree and did it without a hitch.If you are computer savvy good, just take your time.BT has youtube videos that help.I will say,it is worth the effort.You won't believe how the tune adds power and smooths out the idle.Deeper sound too!

Hey MD,
The process to get everything downloaded, answer 25 questions and send info, then retrive the map is a bit much.My wife has a I.T. degree and did it without a hitch.If you are computer savvy good, just take your time.BT has youtube videos that help.I will say,it is worth the effort.You won't believe how the tune adds power and smooths out the idle.Deeper sound too!
Time I have right now. I had a lumbar fusion 3-1/2 weeks ago. I’m home for another six weeks.
I’ve already read the Internet so it will give me something to do.

Where I live in No. Illinois, it's difficult as well. I use and have used a fuel additive for years that neutralizes the ill effects of ethanol. Huge difference in engine run. Also, not sure why BMW recommends high octane fuel. The R18's engine sports low compression so the higher octane offers no advantage. Plus, running higher octane can induce an even more lean run... I plan to run only 87-89 octane fuel in the R18 and use an additive to eliminate ethanol's ugly evils. I've used for years in ALL my non auto *gasoline* engines. Makes a big difference.

Attachments

• IMG_20211213_055549.jpg
    IMG_20211213_055549.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 4
Back