R18 - Aftermarket ECU options

At times a TFT update doesn't involve an ECU update so always good to check if the bike still flashes after you get it back from the dealer. If faced with an "incompatible" error when trying to flash, it means they also updated the ECU.
Well, good news. I brought my TC back to my dealer for the latest 012.008.040 software/TFT update. Took just over 2 hours. I did revert my tune back to stock before bringing the bike in for the update. I ran some errands after the update and noticed no issues with it, though this coming weekend will really be the true test when I get to ride it.
Oh yeah, I said there was good news! So after I got the bike back home and let it cool off, I decided to see if the Bren Tune could be re-flashed. I was really expecting to see some "incompatible" error, but no - the flash completed successfully! I then brought the handheld up to my PC to verify that the last file written to the bike was the Bren Tune mod, and sure enough it was. So I have the latest TFT update and the Bren Tune installed - life is good. :)

So those of you with either a B or TC and worry that the new TFT update will alter the ECU so the Bren Tune can no longer be loaded, worry no more.

Well, good news. I brought my TC back to my dealer for the latest 012.008.040 software/TFT update. Took just over 2 hours. I did revert my tune back to stock before bringing the bike in for the update. I ran some errands after the update and noticed no issues with it, though this coming weekend will really be the true test when I get to ride it.
Oh yeah, I said there was good news! So after I got the bike back home and let it cool off, I decided to see if the Bren Tune could be re-flashed. I was really expecting to see some "incompatible" error, but no - the flash completed successfully! I then brought the handheld up to my PC to verify that the last file written to the bike was the Bren Tune mod, and sure enough it was. So I have the latest TFT update and the Bren Tune installed - life is good. :)

So those of you with either a B or TC and worry that the new TFT update will alter the ECU so the Bren Tune can no longer be loaded, worry no more.
While you were able to reinstall the Bren tune you now won’t have the advantages of whatever upgrades were in the new dealer flash.

While you were able to reinstall the Bren tune you now won’t have the advantages of whatever upgrades were in the new dealer flash.
Incorrect. The dealer update made no changes to the ECU software, which is why the Bren Tune was able to be re-flashed. This dealer update only made changes to the TFT software, and perhaps the Bluetooth/WiFi software.
If the dealer flash has made any ECU updates, the Bren Tune would have generated an “incompatible” error, per Bren Tuning in my above post.

Incorrect. The dealer update made no changes to the ECU software, which is why the Bren Tune was able to be re-flashed. This dealer update only made changes to the TFT software, and perhaps the Bluetooth/WiFi software.
If the dealer flash has made any ECU updates, the Bren Tune would have generated an “incompatible” error, per Bren Tuning in my above post.
So you’ve confirmed the other changes has remained, that’s interesting.

Hmmm. When/how does that questionnaire arrive? Is it in the box? Email? I didn't see anything on the website when I ordered my unit.
Once you receive the unit and have downloaded the original file, send an eMail to [email protected] with the file as an attachment and your BT Order # as the subject.
They will then send you the questionnaire.

You should find everything you'll need under the R18 drop-down here: https://brentuningmoto.com/resources/
I'd highly recommend watching this video:

I tried to open the pdf file but it’s not working. At least not on my phone. I’ll have to try tonight at home on my Mac.

All new EFI motorcycles have a VCU(vehicle control module) & ECU(engine control module).
Hence most updates are in the VCU.

Gday,TK

Squeeps wrote (a long time ago) "I just want a service manual man"...yep we all do!! I am beginning to think that ain't NEVER gonna happen. Just don't complain too much on this forum about shop manuals or promised accessories...or other information from the mother ship, the BMW faithful will shoot you down saying you're whining and sounding like a broken record...even tho' those comments seriously miss the point.

I haven't done anything to the intake or cats or flaps but I did install Hattech mufflers that I special-ordered for off-road use only (great company and product by the way). Not ugly loud; the 02 sensors did their thing, and according to my seat-of-the-pants dyno the low end performance was improved and the high end unchanged, all as expected. My bike exhibits no "too lean" symptoms/conditions. Once a tuner is available I will open the intake, remove the cats and the butterfly flaps, get a good mix going and run it like God intended. I admit I have a love-hate relationship with BMW...I love this motorcycle and I hate the way BMW has treated the buyers (and PLEASE no more "pandemic/COVID/supply chain crap...BMW chose to compete in the American cruiser market and the other brands I deal with, including Harley - love it or hate it - have fully continued parts and accessory availability along with a full compliment of shop/service info & equipment. The ONLY brand I have had issues with over the past year is BMW).

BMW's new advertising for the R18 should be "Expensive unsupported motorcycle, fantastic motor, decent performance, poor factory support, no accessories, and crappy dealer service. The perfect motorcycle for determined hot-rodders and do-it-yourselfers."

Does this still hold true in July of 2023.... poor support?

Squeeps wrote (a long time ago) "I just want a service manual man"...yep we all do!! I am beginning to think that ain't NEVER gonna happen. Just don't complain too much on this forum about shop manuals or promised accessories...or other information from the mother ship, the BMW faithful will shoot you down saying you're whining and sounding like a broken record...even tho' those comments seriously miss the point.
What is it you are looking for ?

What is it you are looking for ?
The BMW shop manual. Not the owners manual.

BMW has refused thus far to release any copies to the public, instead keeping them under "lock and key" within their dealer networks. 🤬

There are those of us, like me, who will NEVER take our bikes to the dealer (unless a recall campaign) and are incensed by BMW's short-sighted decision in this matter. They aren't winning any new loyal customers with this d*ck move.

Mike

Back