R18 Annual or 6K Interval Scheduled Maintenance Parts List & Torque Specifications Worksheet

Scott Semone

I put the attached PDF together for performing the following Annual or 6K interval scheduled maintenance:
  • Air Filter Replacement
  • Engine Case Oil Filter and Oil Fluid Change 4.0 L or 4*(1.0L Bottles)
  • Transmission Oil Change 1.15 L or 2*(500 mL Bottles) + 150 mL Measured Note: Three (3) bottles will cover Transmission & Rear-Wheel Drive Oil Fluid Change
  • Rear Wheel Gear Oil Change 210 mL
  • Valve Adjustment 0.2 mm - 0.3 mm

Part 1 - Lifting the R18 using the Kern-Stabi

Part 2 - Replacing the Air Filter

Part 3 - Rear-Wheel Drive Service

Part 4 - Transmission Fluid Change

Part 5 - Engine Oil Filter and Oil Change (Kern-Stabi X518)

I updated the attached PDF (2023 August 26) with contributions from forum members Ulrich and Cornel:

Attachments

• R18 B Maintenance Book(1) (3).pdf
    8.9 MB · Views: 114
Last edited:
I'll try and make them shorter and perhaps funnier, I'm pretty dry and monotone as I don't have any real editing software or skills... Anyway, I hope they help..
I updated the PDF to include the Air-Filter replacement; not sure why BMW doesn't recommend that the air-filter be replaced annually? (My filter was pretty dirty after a year...). I'll probably upgrade my air-filter later in the future; I'll keep the stock air-box and associated air-flow ducts for warranty purposes though.

I'll try and make them shorter and perhaps funnier, I'm pretty dry and monotone as I don't have any real editing software or skills... Anyway, I hope they help..
Great videos, I think the pace is ok and you don't sound monotone at all. Along with the pdf these videos encourage me to do some maintenance myself. (y)

Last edited:
I put the attached PDF together for performing the following Annual or 6K interval scheduled maintenance:
  • Air Filter Replacement
  • Transmission Oil Change 1.15 L or 2*(500 mL Bottles) + 150 mL Measured Note: Three (3) bottles will cover Transmission & Rear-Wheel Drive Oil Fluid Change
View attachment 10685

View attachment 10686

I updated the attached with gear and transmission fluid amounts.

Nice work, Scott! I just uploaded my air filter video. I really like your style.
Video looks good... Maybe epoxy the brass sleeves back into the plastic air box housing, or perhaps replace with a Rivnut; they work well for these types of applications.

Obviously you're proficient at posting these YT videos, I found yours immediately; I still can't figure out how to find my videos via a normal search?

Video looks good... Maybe epoxy the brass sleeves back into the plastic air box housing, or perhaps replace with a Rivnut; they work well for these types of applications.

Obviously you're proficient at posting these YT videos, I found yours immediately; I still can't figure out how to find my videos via a normal search?
Do a search on youtube page at the top and enter "Scott Semone BMW"

Not to get totally off topic R18 wise; what do I need to do so that the videos shows up if someone searches "R18 oil change", and/or "R18 DYI maintenance", etc.?
You have to add the words oil change dyi and maintenance in de description and the metadata. After that YouTube will rank it depending on the amount of comments, likes and views.
It might also take some time before google/YouTube indexes the keywords.
Make sure to also add all the models it applies to. I assume R18, R18B, R18TC. also different ways to write the models, like the R18TC and the R18 Transcontinental

QUESTION: Allen or TORX

I replaced the Rear-Wheel Drive and Transmission Fluid today; I noted a discrepancy between what I'm seeing on my bike vs other information that out there i.e. I'm seeing a 6mm Allen for the rear-wheel fill plug and an 8mm Allen for the transmission fill plug, vs a TORX fitting? I want to try and get good information out there; however, I'm definitely looking at an ALLEN fitting vs a TORX for the two above mentioned plugs. I can see how a Torx can be used, but what is the correct tool to be used here?

• Air Filter Replacement
View attachment 10685

View attachment 10686

Part 3 - Rear-Wheel Drive Service

Part 4 - Transmission Fluid Change

Amazing, thank you kindly for sharing. Really thorough and detailed videos.
One question if I may. What is the mileage on your bike and when was the last time the rear wheel drive oil was changed prior to the video? I am asking as I was not expecting the oil to be that dark. I replaced the oil twice on my M109R and it always came out clear.
I know it is a different bike but the principle is the same.
Thank you again.

Back