R18 Annual or 6K Interval Scheduled Maintenance Parts List & Torque Specifications Worksheet

I put the attached PDF together for performing the following Annual or 6K interval scheduled maintenance:
  • Air Filter Replacement
  • Engine Case Oil Filter and Oil Fluid Change 4.0 L or 4*(1.0L Bottles)
  • Transmission Oil Change 1.15 L or 2*(500 mL Bottles) + 150 mL Measured Note: Three (3) bottles will cover Transmission & Rear-Wheel Drive Oil Fluid Change
  • Rear Wheel Gear Oil Change 210 mL
View attachment 10685

View attachment 10686

Part 1 - Lifting the R18 using the Kern-Stabi

Part 2 - Replacing the Air Filter

Part 3 - Rear-Wheel Drive Service

Part 4 - Transmission Fluid Change

Amazing, thank you kindly for sharing. Really thorough and detailed videos.
One question if I may. What is the mileage on your bike and when was the last time the rear wheel drive oil was changed prior to the video? I am asking as I was not expecting the oil to be that dark. I replaced the oil twice on my M109R and it always came out clear.
I know it is a different bike but the principle is the same.
Thank you again.
The drained rear-wheel drive and transmission gear oil was black in color; my bike has 4,700 miles on it currently, it was a year ago when the 600 mile break-in service was performed.

The drained rear-wheel drive and transmission gear oil was black in color; my bike has 4,700 miles on it currently, it was a year ago when the 600 mile break-in service was performed.
Thank you. I guess you would not have seen the color of the oil when it was done at the 600mls if this was performed by the dealer. The reason I mention this is because I would have thought the new oil would have been more like a honey color as opposed to black which would indicate lots of metal dust suspended. Maybe it turned this color due to the gears matting and future oil change will reveal a clear or lighter color. My bike just had the 600mls service last Wednesday and was done by the dealer as part of the service plan I purchased when I bought the bike but the final drive oil change was not part of the schedule. Will bear this in mind and ask the dealer at the 6K service next year.
Thank you again.

Thank you. I guess you would not have seen the color of the oil when it was done at the 600mls if this was performed by the dealer. The reason I mention this is because I would have thought the new oil would have been more like a honey color as opposed to black which would indicate lots of metal dust suspended. Maybe it turned this color due to the gears matting and future oil change will reveal a clear or lighter color. My bike just had the 600mls service last Wednesday and was done by the dealer as part of the service plan I purchased when I bought the bike but the final drive oil change was not part of the schedule. Will bear this in mind and ask the dealer at the 6K service next year.
Thank you again.
Actually... My 600 miles service was included when I purchased the bike; when I looked at the rear-wheel gear oil color, I was starting to think that I got exactly what I paid for at my 1st service interval - ZERO.

I hate to think that my service shop didn't perform the work as specified, because the sales person included it as part of the purchase; because I like the guys at my local shop, I just can't afford them... :)

Well, don’t feel too bad about it as the final Drive service is not included on the 600mls service. The plus side is that you performed the service now and you know exactly what was put in so from now she has the adequate fluids etc.
This will prompt me to check the fluids on mine at some intervals and check the levels and colouration and if needed I will drain the old fluid and replace it with new one.

Anyone using the KERN-STABI X518 stand, in order to center their R18 when performing an Engine Oil and Oil Filter change; the KERN-STABI directions do recommend removing the two hydraulic floor jack brackets 6 & 7 as depicted within the below image:

I'm going to update the PDF in the initial post in order to illustrate this; I found it was a bit tricky to remove the oil filter with the oil filter wrench still attached, due to interference from the lifting brackets 6 & 7.

1688894785328.png

Anyone using the KERN-STABI X518 stand, in order to center their R18 when performing an Engine Oil and Oil Filter change; the KERN-STABI directions do recommend removing the two hydraulic floor jack brackets 6 & 7 as depicted within the below image:

I'm going to update the PDF in the initial post in order to illustrate this; I found it was a bit tricky to remove the oil filter with the oil filter wrench still attached, due to interference from the lifting brackets 6 & 7.

View attachment 10800
I updated my first post with the last of the five YT videos, covering the annual 6K maintenance:

Part 5

Hi Adam,
Nice video on the air filter change out, I replace my air filter yesterday and had same problem with the brass inserts unscrewing. Did you soleve the problem withe the brass inserts coming out?

Barry
I didn't solve the problem. I just carefully threaded them back in. Next air filter change, I'll replace the housing bottom and screws and hopefully do it better than the factory.

I may purchase another set and mark them separately as Engine Oil and Transmission Oil, so not to cross contaminate the two different oil types; they're fairly easy to clean, as well as super inexpensive.
Good idea, appeals to my moto-OCD (or as my wife refers to it, my AR'ness.

I measured out 1.15 L; I did a measured comparison of the drained oil, which was closer to 1.1 L, just shy of approximately 50mL I would guess..

Not sure if it would hurt to top it off to the very top of the fill hole?

I measured out 1.15 L; I did a measured comparison of the drained oil, which was closer to 1.1 L, just shy of approximately 50mL I would guess..

Not sure if it would hurt to top it off to the very top of the fill hole?
Did the same ... measured out what came out just short of 1.1 ... but I assume that is loss I have still stuck on the drain pan and such ... I seen the call for 1.15L in the dealer instructions with my own eyes ... so I figure it is the correct amount ... seems you have the same info.

I update my initial entry with the attached R18 Maintenance Booklet PDF file; which covers the Valve Adjustment, Engine Oil Change, Transmission Oil Change, Rear-Wheel Gear Oil and Air-Filter replacement; a special Thank you to forum members Ulrich and Cornel who provided much of the technical contributions...

Attachments

• R18 Maintenance Book.pdf
    8.9 MB · Views: 44
I update my initial entry with the attached R18 Maintenance Booklet PDF file; which covers the Valve Adjustment, Engine Oil Change, Transmission Oil Change, Rear-Wheel Gear Oil and Air-Filter replacement; a special Thank you to forum members Ulrich and Cornel who provided much of the technical contributions...
Great stuff thank you all

Back