R18 as only bike?

It’s all relative. I had a neighbor a few years back who was part of the crew to build the motor cross tracks at the Pontiac Silverdome and Palace of Auburn Hills when the tour would come through Detroit. He’d always have me out to watch construction of the track, then the races. Those guys are absolutely nuts in how they ride. Pure reckless abandon. Flying through the air over massive jumps, then grinding through the washboard section of the course, all at full out speed. My guess would be that those riders would look at adventure riders going through some puddles and call them posers as well! I never knew any riders, but would have to imagine their bodies don’t age very well taking that type of abuse.
This is exactly the point of why the "only bike" premise of the thread is difficult. While I've taken my GS on single track and sand in locations hundreds of miles from where I live, it is much easier on a light weight dual sport like a KTM 350 or 500 EXC than a 500+ pound adventure bike and the speed thru those sections would be faster on a dirt bike than adventure bike. But on the flip side, I wouldn't want to ride that KTM from my house to get to those dirt spots so far away carrying all my camping gear.

Adventure bikes are probably the best "only bike" out there, which is why they are so popular now. They can ride sporty, they can tour and they can do dirt, but they won't be as good as a dedicated bike for each of those. But part of why the Starbucks crowd loves them is they do make a great sport-touring bike even if you never get them dirty (or only rarely).

The great thing about today is most street bikes are amazingly capable and can be many things. It's all a matter of priorities. If I was to only have one bike, it'd be my GSA. But I think the best option is to have several so you can pick the bike that fits the mission and have some variety.

I found the factory bags on the classic minimal. I could carry a laptop in 1 bag, maybe a hat and gloves in the other. They weren’t meant to get stuffed. This really cramped my ability to use the bike for business trips. Heck, I had my riding jacket in the right bag and the clip broke off. Essentially the rivet just busted.

All this to say, R18 is beautiful but not functional.

Have to agree with a GSA as only bike. It’s just so utilitarian.

I don't think that the original post was meant to be about the R18 as a do-it-all bike in the true sense of the word.
Even the GS is not really a do-it-all bike either. Some dirt roads/service roads are doable as long as it's nothing too extreme. At close to 700lbs loaded it can't possibly be a dirt bike.
I think that the GS Adv. is a great bike. Loved mine when I had it but it did have its limitations . I don't think that a do-it-all bike exists at all. Some get closer to it than others but that's about it.

Maybe this is being mixed up?

Do-it-all bike <> only bike.

I could easily like with my r18c as an only bike.

I also have cars.

The r18c could just be that special toy that is washed & polished, and dragged out on nice days - not used as a utility vehicle.

If you are funds / space / interest / time limited to only having 1 bike AND that bike needs to provide all functions, on & off road, transporting shopping etc - then no. I don't think the r18 (any variant) would be best suited.

Maybe this is being mixed up?

Do-it-all bike <> only bike.

I could easily like with my r18c as an only bike.

I also have cars.

The r18c could just be that special toy that is washed & polished, and dragged out on nice days - not used as a utility vehicle.

If you are funds / space / interest / time limited to only having 1 bike AND that bike needs to provide all functions, on & off road, transporting shopping etc - then no. I don't think the r18 (any variant) would be best suited.
That’s why it depends on your priorities.There are a lot of riders who don’t care about off-road or using their bike to commute or run errands or doing cross-country trips.

If my priority for a bike was more sedate riding, a bike I love to look at, that leaves a smile on my face every time I crack the throttle and can do some light touring (weekend trip), my R18C could be an only bike.

A do-it-all bike is another word for jack-of-all-trades.
It means a bike capable of tackling all roads in almost all conditions.
It does it all not from your standpoint, from your preference, but from the bike itself being capable of overcoming adversity in all conditions.
It is not synonymous with "the only bike".
In my book, anyway...

A do-it-all bike is another word for jack-of-all-trades.
It means a bike capable of tackling all roads in almost all conditions.
It does it all not from your standpoint, from your preference, but from the bike itself being capable of overcoming adversity in all conditions.
It is not synonymous with "the only bike".
In my book, anyway...
So much of motorcycles like many others things depends on perspective. "All" the things that are interesting to me may not be the same as others, thus a Do-it-all for me may not be the same as it is for someone else. Even an "only bike" might excel at only the most important things to me, rather than all the things I might be interested in doing.

The one downside of specialization or categories that bikes have now is originally most motorcycles had similar capabilities and we didn't call them different kinds of bikes. For example many of the "roads" weren't paved, so they had to ride off-pavement. Did that make them adventure bikes? Many of them had < 500cc, yet people toured cross-country on them. How was that possible since only big engine bikes are "touring bikes"? All bikes can be jack-of-all-trades.

Ka eke au ki runga i nga mea he kino rawa atu nga toka ka tino miharo te hunga katoa e kite ana.
Mena kei te pirangi au ki tetahi mea roa ki te takaro ka whiwhi ahau i tetahi wahine whai tits nui.

So much of motorcycles like many others things depends on perspective. "All" the things that are interesting to me may not be the same as others, thus a Do-it-all for me may not be the same as it is for someone else.
It is not based on your perspective. It is based on what the motorcycle is capable of doing, period.
You base things of this nature on facts and not on emotions.

hey, chacaunga umba banga chey yong ich?

Bạn có nói điều đó với Mẹ của bạn không?
Bạn chỉ là một kẻ ngu ngốc mồm mép.
हो सकता है कि आपको वास्तव में एक से अधिक भाषा बोलना सीखना चाहिए।
中文將是一個很好的起點。

Last edited:
I probably made the biggest adjustment. Over the last year I got rid of a sidecar rig, a Harley street brawler (a serious bored out thug dyna) and My GS. my riding style is changing and my GS had over 100,000 miles on the clock. I've made a big adjustment in my attitude; I look at all the rides Ive done over the last 10 years and really only needed a GS for a few of them. My R18 can handle them just fine. I still need a temporary windshield for long hauls on the slab... but who really wants to do that anyway :)

I AM taking my R18 cross country this summer and Im going to have a blast doing it. My body has held up well enough that the extra discomfort wont bother me and I do love this bike. I love it a lot more than my GS, even though I have had every iteration of the GS starting with the R80 :). Im going to miss it 2000 miles in, but I couldnt love a bike that ugly :) It sure could get me places, though...

For wind and comfort plus on and off-road purpose buy a Jeep with vinyl roof. I’m not kidding. The bike is ALWAYS and issue, ALWAYS. Rain, back pain, leg pain, cold, the height of the seat, where to park (take on and off the saddlebags), park in reverse because of the weight. I’m trying to say, there’s is not an all purpose bike. BTW, the R18 is amazing for the road, but never think to use it on for streets during summer (30o C or more). With all that said, I love my bike.
Ha... you are darn right. My friends asked me how I was going to ADV ride and i showed them... try getting a kayak and three bikes on a GS :)

Attachments

• IMG_3086.JPG
    IMG_3086.JPG
    744 KB · Views: 7
That’s why it depends on your priorities.There are a lot of riders who don’t care about off-road or using their bike to commute or run errands or doing cross-country trips.

If my priority for a bike was more sedate riding, a bike I love to look at, that leaves a smile on my face every time I crack the throttle and can do some light touring (weekend trip), my R18C could be an only bike.
My R18 is not my only bike but you’ve described exactly what I bought it for.

Back