R18 as only bike?

I am simply not a one-bike kind of person - never was.

If you do not earn enough to afford it, it means you are selling yourself short or need to improve something - been there, done that (-:
If your place is too small, you obviously need to get a larger place - finally sorted as well ((-:
If your other half will not allow it, you obviously lack subtle diplomacy and marketing skills and need to work on that, seriously - forever improving and target moving as well (((-:
If you cannot imagine yet another one you wish to own, you might be in trouble, deep trouble )-:

Tongue in cheek, of course. Each to their own.

Xdiavel, testastretta, iceberg-white. Just blipped on the radar screen.
2-Ducati-XDiavel-S_02.jpg
(photo courtesy Ducati)

I only have one bike, mostly because I have other summer hobbies that take up quite a bit of the finite time I have for recreation. (We are a boating family and I love golf). I can see giving up the boat in a few years, but never golf. Maybe another bike will enter the mix at that time. For me, the R18 is a fantastic bike for a few hours of riding, but wouldn’t be my choice for anything cross country in nature. At this stage of my life, I’m not doing any of that type of riding, so the R18 is a perfect only bike for me. Plus, I get to look at it every single day in the garage and it never gets old to see it.

Went to dealer demo yesterday. Beautiful weather and no waiting. Took a Limited Edition R18 out for 45 minutes.

Vastly different experience from my current R1250RS--and all my previous roadsters and sports bikes--like moving from a power yacht to an aircraft carrier.

When I returned, the salesman, same guy who sold me my RS, asked: "Well?"

"That was really cool, . . . but I don't see it working as my only bike."

He tried hard not to make it seem like I hadn't just said the most obvious thing in the world. "Have a donut," he said.

Picked up a Nav 6 while I was there, too. Figure I saved a lot of cash: no new cruiser, a free donut, and 15% off the nav system!

Attachments

• IMG_3408.jpg
    IMG_3408.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3407.jpg
    IMG_3407.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
R18 is my only ride at the moment and will be for a while. I had a Harley VROD VRSCA up until the last month and loved it but it had to go to make way for the R18 first edition, given my other priorities as much as I love to ride. Both attached..

Attachments

• 783317D2-8724-49F9-9977-F45BEE0B21F3.jpeg
    783317D2-8724-49F9-9977-F45BEE0B21F3.jpeg
    752.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 92C1F73A-866D-4C57-B0EB-E0B6B8E1EC9B.jpeg
    92C1F73A-866D-4C57-B0EB-E0B6B8E1EC9B.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 20
It IS a do-it-all ride even if you have to install a windscreen and/or saddlebags. The stock seat isn't great, especially for passengers. But there are options out there for that issue. The suspension is good provided it's been setup for your weight. Most dealerships give no attention to the rear shock, so don't be surprised if the ride quality on the test bike is not great. A few turns of the shock preload screw makes a big difference.

Personally, I'm fortunate to have a full dressed touring machine for the long rides with or without my wife behind me and/or if I need to carry a load. Prior to getting the weekender seat, she would have nothing to do with the R18. But with the better seat, she gives it two thumbs up. It's got almost 1900 milers on it and I purchased mine in the middle of the winter. Every chance I get I'm on my R18!
Hi! I just got all of the windscreen and lighting parts in and was looking for any installation instructions. I read what you wrote about the windscreen being detachable; that makes a lot of sense as I look at the parts.

Thanks for any info! 'Alan [email protected]

"Only bike" or "do it all bike" is always a loaded question. It depends on your use case.

For me, the R18 is a great bike to ride solo or with a passenger on smooth roads. It is not a great choice for potholed and cracked urban areas or getting offroad. It is not a great choice for track days. It is not a great choice for wheelies. Whether it is a good choice for you depends entirely on how you want to use it.

The best "do it all" bike type is an adventure touring machine, like a GS or Africa Twin, but that's how I use bikes.

"Only bike" or "do it all bike" is always a loaded question. It depends on your use case.

For me, the R18 is a great bike to ride solo or with a passenger on smooth roads. It is not a great choice for potholed and cracked urban areas or getting offroad. It is not a great choice for track days. It is not a great choice for wheelies. Whether it is a good choice for you depends entirely on how you want to use it.

The best "do it all" bike type is an adventure touring machine, like a GS or Africa Twin, but that's how I use bikes.
But they are so ugly! At least to my eye

But they are so ugly! At least to my eye
Different purpose. The R18 is a beautiful bike and something to keep clean and admire while parked and enjoy the character while riding. My GSA on the other hand only gets a bath once or twice a year as it's often riding in dirt & mud and the layer of dirt on it fits its purpose.

Reactions: R2K
Hello,

My local BMW dealer is having an R18 demo day next weekend. I plan to attend. I currently own an R1250 RS. It's a great bike, and I use it for commuting, light touring, and weekend rides with friends.

I'm attracted to the aesthetics of the R18, and I'm sure I'll have a better feel for it after next weekend. If I really like the ride, I'd have to trade my RS (I'm on a one-bike diet).

What's the consensus about this bike as a do-it-all ride?
It is not. Don't fool yourself. No matter how much you would like to think that, it simply isn't a do-it-all bike, even with the extra stuff you may think it will turn it into that machine.
Buy it but keep the Beemer as well.

Different purpose. The R18 is a beautiful bike and something to keep clean and admire while parked and enjoy the character while riding. My GSA on the other hand only gets a bath once or twice a year as it's often riding in dirt & mud and the layer of dirt on it fits its purpose.
Keep the cleaning to yourself. Don't say a word about it to anyone that rides an adventure bike. The more mud on it the better. Even giving it a bath once or twice a year is once or twice too many times. You are committing sacrilege in the process!

Keep the cleaning to yourself. Don't say a word about it to anyone that rides an adventure bike. The more mud on it the better. Even giving it a bath once or twice a year is once or twice too many times. You are committing sacrilege in the process!
There are a number of absolutely spotless GSs parked outside Starbucks that never got that memo…. ;)

There are a number of absolutely spotless GSs parked outside Starbucks that never got that memo…. ;)
Because most of the adventure series beemer riders are posers. Social status and a lot of pretend. Like the big adventures on two wheels as seen on some documentaries starring Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman.
There are some legit ones but they're an absolute minority. I know because I've ridden with a lot of them for many years. Thank you Jesus for making me see the truth!

It is not. Don't fool yourself. No matter how much you would like to think that, it simply isn't a do-it-all bike, even with the extra stuff you may think it will turn it into that machine.
Buy it but keep the Beemer as well.
I completely agree, well said

Because most of the adventure series beemer riders are posers. Social status and a lot of pretend. Like the big adventures on two wheels as seen on some documentaries starring Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman.
There are some legit ones but they're an absolute minority. I know because I've ridden with a lot of them for many years. Thank you Jesus for making me see the truth!
It’s all relative. I had a neighbor a few years back who was part of the crew to build the motor cross tracks at the Pontiac Silverdome and Palace of Auburn Hills when the tour would come through Detroit. He’d always have me out to watch construction of the track, then the races. Those guys are absolutely nuts in how they ride. Pure reckless abandon. Flying through the air over massive jumps, then grinding through the washboard section of the course, all at full out speed. My guess would be that those riders would look at adventure riders going through some puddles and call them posers as well! I never knew any riders, but would have to imagine their bodies don’t age very well taking that type of abuse.

Back