R18 B/TC and the TFT

I ordered a $15 cable from Amazon. I figured that BMW wasn't manufacturing their own cables, so something generic should work. I'll follow up when the cable arrives.
For anyone interested, my generic USB C to 90° lighting cable charge just fine. It’s 3’ long, so it needs coiled a bit but the iphone X (no case) and the cord all fit in the tank cubby.

FYI - software version 12_008_40 has been released by BMW for bikes with the 10.25” TFT display.
This is supposed to fix additional Bluetooth and connectivity issues between the bike and the BMW Motorrad Connected app on the phone, along with other (un-mentioned) changes.

I picked up my Bagger this past Sunday, and I also have to manually join the bike's WiFi on my iPhone, even though I have it set to auto-join.

I have tried using Apple Music to stream to the bike, and I am having an issue where it stops playing after every song. I'm following a thread on the Luxury Touring RT forum where users are discussing the same issue. Are you having the same issue, as well?

I ordered a $15 cable from Amazon. I figured that BMW wasn't manufacturing their own cables, so something generic should work. I'll follow up when the cable arrives

I bought a short apple cable from Sierra BMW, but I find that I have to instruct my phone to link up to the system each and every time I stop and turn off the bike. Very frustrating! And you don't see the map on the screen in NAV mode. It just gives you turn by turn directions. Hugely disappointed in that.

FYI - software version 12_008_40 has been released by BMW for bikes with the 10.25” TFT display.
This is supposed to fix additional Bluetooth and connectivity issues between the bike and the BMW Motorrad Connected app on the phone, along with other (un-mentioned) changes.
How do you upgrade it?

I purchased a pack of three short cables with a 90 degree connector for less than $15 on Amazon (my phone is an Android USB-C to USB-C); I place my phone in the compartment upside down in order to manage the cable length.

Also, I had to set the BMW app to always run in the background in order to not need to reconnect each time I power OFF-ON my bike.

Attached are pictures of the cables and package if it helps with searching Amazon..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220926-101906-609.png
    Screenshot_20220926-101906-609.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20220926-101938-310.png
    Screenshot_20220926-101938-310.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
I had my B in for break-in service this week. I bought it on August 20.

Software update that the dealer estimated would take 4 hours ended up taking 8. Tech told me that the bike was several updates behind and that they needed to do better updating the software on bikes before they leave the showroom.

Luckily, I wasn't waiting for it. Tech said once they're plugged into the computer, they have to stay plugged in until the update's finished--unplugging early wreaks havoc with the software, evidently.

Love the bike, but it's tech heavy. Will probably end up springing for the extended warranty, as I plan to keep the bike a long time, and I imagine it will get expensive in a hurry if the hardware fails.

Make sure your new B or TC has the latest software update before you leave the dealer. Happy trails.

Software update that the dealer estimated would take 4 hours ended up taking 8. Tech told me that the bike was several updates behind and that they needed to do better updating the software on bikes before they leave the showroom.

Luckily, I wasn't waiting for it. Tech said once they're plugged into the computer, they have to stay plugged in until the update's finished--unplugging early wreaks havoc with the software, evidently.

Love the bike, but it's tech heavy. Will probably end up springing for the extended warranty, as I plan to keep the bike a long time, and I imagine it will get expensive in a hurry if the hardware fails.

Make sure your new B or TC has the latest software update before you leave the dealer. Happy trails.
Great advice, thanks!

Can you post the current software version that was loaded onto your B?

Ver. 013_012_050

Did BMW provide any release notes, enhancements and or known bug fixes related to the new software release? (I think I already know the answer, but figured I'd ask anyway...)
I checked my bike last night, which was purchased back in July of this year; it also had 013_012_050. I'm not sure if they performed an update at the "break-in" service interval.

Ver. 013_012_050

Did BMW provide any release notes, enhancements and or known bug fixes related to the new software release? (I think I already know the answer, but figured I'd ask anyway...)

I got my bike back today after the update, and the repair order for the update said ABS, AUDIO, DME, DWA, ESA, EWS, GM, GMS, KOMBI.

The service writer was not familiar with all of the codes - or what parameters were changed. I have not had chance to ride the bike to see if I can tell a difference in behavior. I know that my radio doesn't randomly turn on at high volume when I start the bike.

I am curious to see if Connect will show as many ABS interventions as it did. Prior to the update, ride recordings showed the ABS kicking in at almost every stop.

I got my bike back today after the update, and the repair order for the update said ABS, AUDIO, DME, DWA, ESA, EWS, GM, GMS, KOMBI.

The service writer was not familiar with all of the codes - or what parameters were changed. I have not had chance to ride the bike to see if I can tell a difference in behavior. I know that my radio doesn't randomly turn on at high volume when I start the bike.

I am curious to see if Connect will show as many ABS interventions as it did. Prior to the update, ride recordings showed the ABS kicking in at almost every stop.
I noticed a ton of ABS indicators, when reviewing all of my post ride data; I typically ride with my pointer-finger on the front brake lever, which I've come to start using almost exclusively since noting that the R18 braking is distributed to the front & rear wheels as part of the ABS system. I assume that was the reason for the high number of ABS indicators.

I'm not sure if that is the case, when using the rear Foot brake? I probably should review the owners manual regarding the brake system.

My riding style since owning the R18 B has changed a LOT from my 2008 R1200 GS Adventure; I typically fingered my front brake lever, while using the rear brake simultaneously. Where I hardly use the rear brake on the R18; unless I'm naturally using the rear brake without really noting it. I do typically position my right foot, where my toe is resting against the brake pedal; which tells me where the brake is if I feel I need it.

Again, a lot has changed; I thought I would hate the rear heal shifter, now I love it and can't imagine not having it. The heal shifter took all of an hour or so of riding to adapt and fall in love with it.

I hope I'm not adopting any bad habits

Below is an example of a short ride, with a lot of ABS indicators marked along the way:

Can you post the software version that they recently loaded, I'd like to compare it to my version?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221117-035721.png
    Screenshot_20221117-035721.png
    426.3 KB · Views: 5
Back