R18 Car engine oil

Hi, knowing that R18 has separate crankcase for transmission clutch oil, using final drive oil, from engine oil its self.
I think we can use Car engine oil for R18. Its an open discussion.

Last edited:
All of the above are correct and it should be understood that all of them need to be combined to give the R18 proper maintenance.
When a question comes up, check out the specs in the owner's manual.

Last edited:
I’m curious to know the motivation. Availability? Expense? Because you can? No snark, honestly curious.
I'm sure that each owner/rider will have their own reasons, but for me it's all of the above.

I'm a retired professional mechanical technician/machinist. I really like the guys at my local dealership but I'm not going to pay shop rate to do something that I can do in my own shop, which is as well or better equipped than most retail motorcycle shops.
Also, everything European and/or branded by ANY motorcycle manufacturer virtually always costs significantly more money for the same product sold for us "common folks". We can get brand name, high quality oil & filters MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE than what it will cost at the dealership. And that's just engine oil. Looking at the costs of gear oil and hydraulic fluids for the clutch and brake systems... it gets out of hand! Lastly, lots of folks don't live close to a BMW dealership, so having service done can be a real pain in the bum! Will the dealership do the work quickly enough to justify that the owner can just go take a long lunch? If it has to be left overnight, how far is the round trip?
My local BMW dealer is not terribly far away and they seem to be very capable, so I'm lucky there. But I'm also not so well heeled that I can justify paying shop rate and BMW retail pricing on the materials. For more than 3 decades I worked on other rider's bikes. Sometimes I wonder how many hundreds of motorcycles that I've worked on and ridden. I stocked some of the expensive branded stuff for the owners who insisted on it. I stocked lots of equal quality materials for those who cared about their wallets and if a customer had particular requirements that I didn't stock, I asked no questions and let him supply the materials of his choice or ordered them for him.

Being retired and having dealt with this sort of discussion for 40 years I did some research.

The owners manual specifies the engine oil as follows:
SAE 15W50 API SJ, JASO MA2
The BMW oil that they recommend is semi-synthetic and it meets all of the above specifications. It's called Advantec Pro 15W50. You can get it for $19.50/qt. at Amazon., $16.50/qt. at Bob's BMW, and for $15/qt. at Sierra BMW. OK...

BUT the JASO MA2 specification is all about producing an oil that meets the needs of a WET motorcycle clutch. That means a clutch that is bathed in the engine oil. The R18 has a DRY CLUTCH. It would suffer catastrophic failure if it was made wet in oil of any type. Using an oil made for an engine with a wet clutch (as are MOST Japanese motorcycles) would not be harmful, but in the case of the R18 the specification for a wet clutch oil is an unnecessary requirement that adds to the expense.

Never mind that I personally have a few decades of positive experience using "non-wet clutch" specified oils in hundreds of Japanese motorcycles that have wet clutches, the R18 simply doesn't need an oil with that specification.

For this discussion, I will assume (from extensive personal experience spanning 4 decades) that Mobil 1 is a producer of VERY high quality synthetic motor oils. It is not alone in it's ability to make motor oils of the highest qualities matching any vehicle manufacturer's specifications. There are a variety of manufacturers who make very high quality oils that meets most automotive and motorcycle manufacturers requirements and, truth to tell, most vehicle manufacturers get their "branded" oils from those great companies. But Mobil 1 falls short of no other and their reputation is well documented longer than we care about here. In no way have I EVER been associated with Mobil 1, their products or the profitability of their products. I have only been a consumer.

Mobil 1 "Racing 4T" meets the full specification that BMW gives for the R18 engine oil. You can buy it at Amazon.com for $36.98/qt. OUCH!
It would be cheaper to buy the BMW oil at the dealership.

But regular Mobil 1 15W50 FULL synthetic motor oil meets all the specs at matter! You can buy it at Amazom.com for $22.31/qt. or in a 5 quart bottle for $42.29. You can buy it today at Walmart for $24.97 for 5 quarts in a 5 qt. bottle. That's a heck of a savings. I have stocked Mobil 1 oil and put it in hundreds of motorcycles (most of which even have wet clutches) for 4 decades. Virtually every purchase that I have made for Mobil 1 has been from Walmart or another local retailer that sold it at the best local price.

The above is only a discussion of motor oil quality and price, but I think that it's a good reflection of what a quality/price conscious owner might consider. Let your conscience AND wallet be your guide.

Last edited:
Dunning-Kruger ?
I admit that I had to look that one up and now I know that it was an insult.
I won't go on the defensive such that I should go into a list of my dissertations and accomplishments in the automotive, motorcycling, aeronautics, nuclear mechanics or physical science history. I am somewhat published on the web and known in the motorcycle and physics industries, by anyone who cares will find me on the web.
Getting back to the topic at hand, I still say that anyone who cares about cost/competence/other personal issues regarding the maintenance and/or repairs of their R18 (or any other vehicle) should do a bit of research and make their own informed decisions.

Great advice, thanks Mucker.

My last Walmart experience (ironically specifically for motor oil): I'm walking through the parking lot, there's a lady and two pre-teens also walking toward the doors to my right. All of a sudden one of the kids spits, like a great big lougie, straight up into the air over them all. The mom and other kid let out a squeal and everyone scatters as, I imagine, spittle is raining down on them all. They regroup and mom hits the kid in the back of the head, throws her cigarette on the ground, and they all go into the store.

I saved about $20

Being retired and having dealt with this sort of discussion for 40 years I did some research.

The BMW oil that they recommend is semi-synthetic and it meets all of the above specifications. It's called Advantec Pro 15W50. You can get it for $19.50/qt. at Amazon., $16.50/qt. at Bob's BMW, and for $15/qt. at Sierra BMW. OK...

BUT the JASO MA2 specification is all about producing an oil that meets the needs of a WET motorcycle clutch. That means a clutch that is bathed in the engine oil. The R18 has a DRY CLUTCH. It would suffer catastrophic failure if it was made wet in oil of any type. Using an oil made for an engine with a wet clutch (as are MOST Japanese motorcycles) would not be harmful, but in the case of the R18 the specification for a wet clutch oil is an unnecessary requirement that adds to the expense.

Never mind that I personally have a few decades of positive experience using "non-wet clutch" specified oils in hundreds of Japanese motorcycles that have wet clutches, the R18 simply doesn't need an oil with that specification.

For this discussion, I will assume (from extensive personal experience spanning 4 decades) that Mobil 1 is a producer of VERY high quality synthetic motor oils. It is not alone in it's ability to make motor oils of the highest qualities matching any vehicle manufacturer's specifications. There are a variety of manufacturers who make very high quality oils that meets most automotive and motorcycle manufacturers requirements and, truth to tell, most vehicle manufacturers get their "branded" oils from those great companies. But Mobil 1 falls short of no other and their reputation is well documented longer than we care about here. In no way have I EVER been associated with Mobil 1, their products or the profitability of their products. I have only been a consumer.

Mobil 1 "Racing 4T" meets the full specification that BMW gives for the R18 engine oil. You can buy it at Amazon.com for $36.98/qt. OUCH!

But regular Mobil 1 15W50 FULL synthetic motor oil meets all the specs at matter! You can buy it at Amazom.com for $22.31/qt. or in a 5 quart bottle for $42.29. You can buy it today at Walmart for $24.97 for 5 quarts in a 5 qt. bottle. That's a heck of a savings. I have stocked Mobil 1 oil and put it in hundreds of motorcycles (most of which even have wet clutches) for 4 decades. Virtually every purchase that I have made for Mobil 1 has been from Walmart or another local retailer that sold it at the best local price.

The above is only a discussion of motor oil quality and price, but I think that it's a good reflection of what a quality/price conscious owner might consider. Let your conscience AND wallet be your guide.
Thanks for the info!

Guys It is an open discussion, IMHO The reason we have to use Motorcycle oil is because of wet clutch, there is a friction modifier in the car oil that will cause problem to motorcycle clutch.
Another more advance BMW thing is Molybdenum's BMW doesn't recommend using the oil that has Molybdenum inside, but from my research BMW Adv oil also contain Molybdenum.

The reason I posted this is because, dealer's mechanic was chatting with me about R18 oil selection. R18 has separate crankcase for transmission clutch oil, using final drive oil, from engine oil its self, like the old BMW motorcycle. Hence, you might able to use car engine oil, for better protection and cost saving.

I love M1 Racing 4t really good oil for its price.

I love M1 Racing 4t really good oil for its price.
I'm sure that M1 Racing 4T is excellent stuff! I was only pointing out that the R18 doesn't need it. And that the R18 has a dry clutch, so the potential issue regarding use of oils with friction modifiers that can cause problems with wet clutches, is NOT an issue with our machines.
For all practical purposes, the R18 is much like most cars made today. The engine, clutch, transmission and final drive are ALL separate systems. The engine, transmission and final drive still have specific requirements for lubrication type and viscosity. The DRY CLUTCH should NEVER see any form of lubrication whatsoever.
I have no ax to grind here. I only suggest that owners pay attention to the specifications in the owner's manual, while knowing that the oil does not have to meet wet clutch requirements.

Attachments

• Clutch specs.pdf
    19.6 KB · Views: 7
  • R18 Engine Oil.pdf
    35.7 KB · Views: 16
Mobil 1 5W20 is my preferred choice for pistol and revolver lubrication. Also used it in my R1200C.
I'm sure your firearms are well lubricated, but I suspect that motor oil will collect too much grime & grit. I prefer oil that's firearm specific for all of my firearms. I particularly like moly on the slides to minimize wear.

Last edited:
Any self-respecting motorcycle forum needs at least one proper Oil War (-:

Many valid arguments above, except that I can't entirely agree with the OEM's Oil Specification. The R18 motor is EURO-5 compliant. That not only implies low emissions and noise pollution, but also close tolerances (even more important since it is air-cooled), reduced friction, and much improved QC. Using a JASO-MA2 oil in the engine would not hurt, even though it is not strictly required in this instance. And I am not too bothered about brands or grades (viscosities) either, as long as the oil's API specification is current.

BMW might specify API SJ because that is currently in all those 44-gallon oil drums in their workshops worldwide, but my 2020 Rocket 3R and 2021 R18 will see at least API SN poured into their oil spouts. And only since API SP is not yet freely available in SA. See https://www.api.org/products-and-se...d-classifications/oil-categories#tab-gasoline.

Which oil is the best? Which tires are the best? What color is the best? Which toquilla is the best? Big tits, small tits? My dog can whoop tour dog.
My God can kick your Gods ass
PUTA QUE PUIRA?

Back