R18 Car engine oil

I admit that I had to look that one up and now I know that it was an insult.
I won't go on the defensive such that I should go into a list of my dissertations and accomplishments in the automotive, motorcycling, aeronautics, nuclear mechanics or physical science history. I am somewhat published on the web and known in the motorcycle and physics industries, by anyone who cares will find me on the web.
Getting back to the topic at hand, I still say that anyone who cares about cost/competence/other personal issues regarding the maintenance and/or repairs of their R18 (or any other vehicle) should do a bit of research and make their own informed decisions.
Finally... the dreaded "oil thread" has hit his forum. God help us all!!

Apparently we're not the only ones that scratch our heads over BMW's gear oil specifications.

BMW Hypoid G3.jpg

I'm sure that M1 Racing 4T is excellent stuff! I was only pointing out that the R18 doesn't need it. And that the R18 has a dry clutch, so the potential issue regarding use of oils with friction modifiers that can cause problems with wet clutches, is NOT an issue with our machines.
For all practical purposes, the R18 is much like most cars made today. The engine, clutch, transmission and final drive are ALL separate systems. The engine, transmission and final drive still have specific requirements for lubrication type and viscosity. The DRY CLUTCH should NEVER see any form of lubrication whatsoever.
I have no ax to grind here. I only suggest that owners pay attention to the specifications in the owner's manual, while knowing that the oil does not have to meet wet clutch requirements.
Clearly the R18 is NOT a wet clutch design so, as you stated, there is no need for motorcycle specific oil!

Back