R18 Classic front end hopping vibration

No brand is perfect ; problems with all . Some people love/hate. Not doubting problems with some Michelin Clll’s. Do l continue with a brand with potential vibration problems ( M Clll - not in all cases) , or a tyre brand that may blow apart ( Metzeler Cruisetec - rare occurrence but happened in this instance) ?
Would be interesting to know what happened..... bike was bought 2nd hand with that tire on it..... so unknown what original owner did for the 2,000ks they had it..... I'd guess rode it under inflated is a possibility?....

Anyway.... this thread has me now understanding how expensive tyres are..... so I am going to ride really slow from now on..... luckily I'm old and forget stuff quickly..... so will probally only be slow until the end of the street.

Last edited:
Would be interesting to know what happened..... bike was bought 2nd hand with that tire on it..... so unknown what original owner did for the 2,000ks they had it..... I'd guess rode it under inflated is a possibility?....

Anyway.... this thread has me now understanding how expensive tyres are..... so I am going to ride really slow from now on..... luckily I'm old and forget stuff quickly..... so will probally only be slow until the end of the street.
😂😂😂

Well another post where I have to admit that I was been wrong, I earlier stated that 'mine are actually fine' ... and that I have to take back.
They now have just under 9000 miles on them and although the rear is perfectly fine the front is far from it.
Yesterday I noticed this:

Front Tire 8-4-2023 01.jpg

Front Tire 8-4-2023 02.jpg

Yes I am just about down to the 'wear bars' so it is time for a new one .. but I was shocked to see that the tire seems to
de-laminate ... never seen that in a modern tire ... oh well I am going to give the Metzler 'Cruisetech' a shot ... got one on order ...
I will let you all know. Unfortunately I will have to mix match ... the rear has (by estimate)
probably another 4000 miles left in it and I am too cheap to chuck that tire ;)

EDIT: btw. that is not the only spot, so it not something I ran over .. there are multiple .. all in the same area of the tire more or less severe.

Well another post where I have to admit that I was been wrong, I earlier stated that 'mine are actually fine' ... and that I have to take back.
They now have just under 9000 miles on them and although the rear is perfectly fine the front is far from it.
Yesterday I noticed this:

View attachment 11129

View attachment 11130

Yes I am just about down to the 'wear bars' so it is time for a new one .. but I was shocked to see that the tire seems to
de-laminate ... never seen that in a modern tire ... oh well I am going to give the Metzler 'Cruisetech' a shot ... got one on order ...
I will let you all know. Unfortunately I will have to mix match ... the rear has (by estimate)
probably another 4000 miles left in it and I am too cheap to chuck that tire ;)

EDIT: btw. that is not the only spot, so it not something I ran over .. there are multiple .. all in the same area of the tire more or less severe.
I just went ahead and put two new Cruisetecs on the bike... OUTSTANDING...way better then those awful C3s were. I wouldn't mix them personally....not worth the few dollars for safety and ride characteristics! You only have two wheels!

Wow that is horrific to see. Hope you get a chance to replace it soon.

Interesting to hear Adrian R. Glad your bike is back to feeling safe.

I am still waiting on my service department to confirm if they will replace my front Michelin Commander 3, I can see this wheel hopping under some conditions. My rear which has now been swapped for a Bridgestone feels very safe and stable.
Ride safe everyone

@Adrian R I am not a fan of mix matching either ... but I give it a shot ... if it feels OK I ride out that C3 and then do a 'Cruistech' in the back as well.
@R18_DK Yes a new one is on order should be here mid next week ... I just take it easy in the meantime ;)

Back