R18 Huge power potential (RSD info)

I reached out to Roland Sands Design about details of their drag bike build. The following is their response.

"Hi Evan,

Attached is a tech sheet with all of the details on the original blue BMW R18 Dragster build RSD X BMW R 18 Dragster - Roland Sands Design. We did just build another orange version of this same bike for a client which is a little bit different in regards to the front forks, rear wheel/tire (full size pro stock slick on beadlock wheel) and we made it chain drive as well. Performance-wise, they both have identical powertrain modifications.

The BMW R18 is very versatile in regards to tuning. The stock ECU and O2 sensor system is able to adapt up to +/-20% so no custom tuning or reflashing of stock ECU was required, even with the custom intake and exhaust mods that we made, it adapted immediately and runs great. This is quite amazing and have never seen this on any other bike ever.

We did dyno the blue bike (naturally aspirated without Nitrous injection) and it made 107 HP / 135 TQ. This is impressive comapared to stock R18 dyno sheets that I have seen online from Cycle World showing about 81 HP/107 TQ. Big gains for just opening up the intake and exhaust!

The biggest concern of this engine making too much power would probably be the clutch, especially since the whole bike has to be disassembled to change it. Our nitrous system is a simple wet system and we only have jetted to add +10-20HP for this reason."
I am blown away by the huge increase in power from such simple mods and NO TUNING! BONKERS!!!!!

Having removed the exhaust baffles, flappers, cat and putting in a new intake I can attest to the significance of the improvement

I had always suspected that this big-block had oodles of power reserves in it, and that BMW was being overly conservative. Well-done Roland Sands for tapping some of that potential!

Now, I'm just waiting for someone to put on a turbocharger and intercooler to REALLY make her sing! :ROFLMAO:

Mike

I Call BS, there has to be tuning involved... once you remove the cats the check engine light will be on without a "tune" and what about the stock speed limiter...

I Call BS, there has to be tuning involved... once you remove the cats the check engine light will be on without a "tune" and what about the stock speed limiter...
Not on this bike. Its very well documented and is the only bike currently on the market that has wide band 02 sensors and an ecu that allows +- 20% adjustments in all tables. So basically its an auto tuner from the factory as bmw built this bike to be modded. you do have to use the fooler plugs for the exhaust valve to not trip a check engine light but nothing besides that need be done tuning wise to delete the cats and change the intake. You are right about the stock speed limiter if you wanna go faster then the speed limiter lets you go...

For the ignorant amongst us (e.g. myself), would you mind sharing this documentation? Plus I'm sure the forum would be interested.

Mike
this is a quote from BT MOTO/Bren tuning:

Perfect fueling, all the time! The BMW R18 comes equipped with wideband oxygen sensors stock which fully target fuel at every throttle position. Once setup, the bike is running an “auto” tuner all the time! Never needing custom adjustments for aftermarket parts, etc. The bike will adjust itself for the new parts!.

SO stock ecu r18 without tune will auto adjust to mods to keep stock af ratios and timing. Bren tune changes those baseline numbers to extract more performance out of it. Their tuning is on a stock bike and you can do what ever mods and the ecu will adjust to the new bren tune baseline numbers. This is why non of the full exhaust offerings have any disclaimers about needing a tune like on other bikes. The ecu with the wideband 02 sensors is an auto tuner already. Now if RSD had done custom dyno tuning with the mods they probably could have gotten another 5-10hp out of it just from being able to set it up to be more aggressive then factory settings.

Now I’m just waiting for those folks whose warranty has expired and is willing to spend the money to mod…. You know, for science.
The 'BrenTune'? ... quite a few people here have done that and are loving it .. it is on my list as well .. I just have a few other little things ahead of it ;)

Back