R18 shifting concern

Greetings! Ive taken my R18 Classic on a couple short rides but it seems no matter how I adjust my shifter lever I have issues getting my boot to shift the bike easily. Either I set the shift peg low and downshifting is easy but then I have trouble getting under it to upshift. So then I take off the shift lever and re-attach it angled higher and now upshifting is easy but I cant easily get my toe over the peg to downshift. This seems to be a combination of the peg being somewhat short and the floorboard keeping me from being able to get my toe under it easily.

Anyone else notice this? Does everyone with an R18 Classic just end up using the heel shifter to do upshifts? I dont want to go that route but I should probably try it.

I found that the heel shifter was the way to upshift with floorboards.. My R18TC came with floorboards, and I tried to get used to them, wanted to like them... but I found upshifting off the front of a floorboard to be clumsy and failure prone, hitting neutrals and stuff.. it was just ugly and didnt come naturally, after over 50 years riding toe shifting is instinctive for me... I have other bikes, all with footpegs and decided to just put footpegs on my TC. It was a good decision for me.

These footpeg/platforms are an interesting between sort of pedal.

Last edited:
I also have found the pegs to be easier. I will invest (at some point) in the Wunderlich wider foot pegs but at $575 they are behind a new seat in creature comfort order.

My Classic was the first bike I owned with floorboards and a heel shifter. But, up shifting with toe and floorboards is near impossible, pegs would be needed to do it comfortably. I’ve gotten used to the heel shifter on the R18 now and don’t mind it. I have the toe shifter set up about even with floorboard, so it is easy to downshift. The torque on the R18 is so good anyway, I find I shift less than my other bikes

I have the floorboards also and have set the shifter and the heel shifter to be exactly in a straight line. This seems to work best for me.
In the owners manual, it says it is not possible to upshift with the toe shifter if you have the floorboards.

Greetings! Ive taken my R18 Classic on a couple short rides but it seems no matter how I adjust my shifter lever I have issues getting my boot to shift the bike easily. Either I set the shift peg low and downshifting is easy but then I have trouble getting under it to upshift. So then I take off the shift lever and re-attach it angled higher and now upshifting is easy but I cant easily get my toe over the peg to downshift. This seems to be a combination of the peg being somewhat short and the floorboard keeping me from being able to get my toe under it easily.

Anyone else notice this? Does everyone with an R18 Classic just end up using the heel shifter to do upshifts? I dont want to go that route but I should probably try it.
Same here - but i started using the heel shifter and am now used to it.

My first few miles on the bike and I found it almost impossible to find the shift with my toe. Now it is second nature and I can change gear anyway I choose. Ie. Toe only or heel and toe. I have the floor boards on my Classic. I am a size ten shoe and wear BMW short touring boot.

Thanks for the input. I tried buying a shift peg extender off amazon for BMW motorcycles that would get the shift peg to stick out an extra inch (or just over) but it doesnt fit, the internal diameter is too small. So, I'll probably adjust my pegs for heel/toe shifting and learn to shift that way and become "that guy"

i-hate-you-angry.gif

Back