R18 Support "Dock"

Hi Submariner,

I'm getting an R18 Classic in a few days. I emailed Wheel Dock about the model of Wheel Dock to use. They said they didn't have the width of the wheel on file for the Classic and they said they weren't sure which chock I should use which seemed surprising since people here are using it.

I wanted to ask you if your front wheel on your R18 Classic and the fender were stock or if you've done any modifications? If I search by model on their website they only show R18, not R18 Classic, which returns Model 3L for the Wheel Chock Part Number, not W-525 as you wrote above. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Tom
When I called Wheel Dock to place an order, they wanted the measurement of the width of the front tire, which I gave them as 5 1/4". The Sales Receipt sent by Wheel Dock stated Item Model W-525 Description Wheel Chock Model W - 5 1/4 (W525) Another (Thank you for your order) lists the Product as Chock Size: Model 3 Wheel Chock. It fits the R 18 Classic like a glove, and the front wheel and fender are stock OEM.

Submariner

When I called Wheel Dock to place an order, they wanted the measurement of the width of the front tire, which I gave them as 5 1/4". The Sales Receipt sent by Wheel Dock stated Item Model W-525 Description Wheel Chock Model W - 5 1/4 (W525) Another (Thank you for your order) lists the Product as Chock Size: Model 3 Wheel Chock. It fits the R 18 Classic like a glove, and the front wheel and fender are stock OEM.

Submariner
Thank you very much! I really appreciate the information.

Tom

I put in an order for a Model W-525 Wheel Dock Friday for my R-18 Classic that I picked up from the dealer yesterday. It’s arriving next week. Thanks everyone.

I received the W-525 Wheel Dock for my R18 Classic and set it up this weekend. The unit is very high quality.The Wheel Dock fit is fairly tight but it seems to work well. I can hear the wheel squeaking slightly as it is inserted in the dock but the dock doesn’t move (as long as the bike is straight into the dock) and it doesn’t seem like I have to push excessively to insert it. The side-to-side movement is minimal once it is in place and locked in. I installed a FOBO 2 tire pressure monitor system and I checked that the tire pressure was within 1 lb of the recommended front and back tire pressure as specified by BMW so the front tire was not overinflated.

The one disadvantage of the tight fit is that the bike needs to be very straight to be placed properly in the dock because there is no additional space on each side. It’s fairly easy to be slightly “off” from the center line on one side when inserting the tire which results in a very minor slight lean for the bike but I don’t think it’s an issue. I’ve had the unit slide on the floor sometimes if I’m trying to straighten the wheel but that was seldom. I didn’t see any signs on the sidewalls of the front tire that it was scraping on the sides of the Wheel Dock.

I asked the manufacturer if the tight fit was a concern? I had considered using some tire dressing to see if a little lubrication would help. They thought the tight fit would be fine and tighter was better than the front tire being too loose. They also recommended the following:

“1) Spray some silicone on the inside rails of the chock and it will reduce any friction there might be. Bike should slide right in with no problem.

2) If the chock is sliding on the floor, put a thin rubber mat (something like a rubber shower mat will work) under the chock and it will keep it from sliding.”

I’ll try those two suggestions. I’m very happy with the Wheel Dock. It seems very sturdy, easy to use and it holds my bike up great between the two cars in my garage. I’ve attached pictures including pictures with my indoor cover over the bike when it’s docked which also fit great.

I think I might paint the long floor lever with some neon paint to make sure I don’t trip over it if the bike isn’t docked. The other thing is since the bike is up straight I can’t activate the built in handlebar lock on the R18 so I’ll get a disc lock. So far I highly recommend the Wheel Dock. It seems to be well worth it.

Tom

FFADDDC0-B933-4DA9-8013-79647690027F.jpegFF4CDE60-EAAA-4154-B7D3-F6800BBFE730.jpeg5EBF3471-D50A-4C19-8A6E-2FFFF4468C94.jpeg11E36147-CA34-4A25-93E1-52EE758AE2E8.jpeg0382DBED-4621-46A9-9F74-DD537CEDD99E.jpeg3CE61DB6-C7E3-40F4-ACCC-2AA2BC048812.jpeg8DCB4DD3-E80C-4F0C-9A80-B248D337E3BE.jpeg755CB423-CF3A-47CA-9805-055A9FCC3858.jpegCCC9B021-718C-4E86-841B-E4B79EE14E24.jpeg

Last edited:
I received the W-525 Wheel Dock for my R18 Classic and set it up this weekend. The unit is very high quality.The Wheel Dock fit is fairly tight but it seems to work well. I can hear the wheel squeaking slightly as it is inserted in the dock but the dock doesn’t move (as long as the bike is straight into the dock) and it doesn’t seem like I have to push excessively to insert it. The side-to-side movement is minimal once it is in place and locked in. I installed a FOBO 2 tire pressure monitor system and I checked that the tire pressure was within 1 lb of the recommended front and back tire pressure as specified by BMW so the front tire was not overinflated.

The one disadvantage of the tight fit is that the bike needs to be very straight to be placed properly in the dock because there is no additional space on each side. It’s fairly easy to be slightly “off” from the center line on one side when inserting the tire which results in a very minor slight lean for the bike but I don’t think it’s an issue. I’ve had the unit slide on the floor sometimes if I’m trying to straighten the wheel but that was seldom. I didn’t see any signs on the sidewalls of the front tire that it was scraping on the sides of the Wheel Dock.

I asked the manufacturer if the tight fit was a concern? I had considered using some tire dressing to see if a little lubrication would help. They thought the tight fit would be fine and tighter was better than the front tire being too loose. They also recommended the following:

“1) Spray some silicone on the inside rails of the chock and it will reduce any friction there might be. Bike should slide right in with no problem.

2) If the chock is sliding on the floor, put a thin rubber mat (something like a rubber shower mat will work) under the chock and it will keep it from sliding.”

I’ll try those two suggestions. I’m very happy with the Wheel Dock. It seems very sturdy, easy to use and it holds my bike up great between the two cars in my garage. I’ve attached pictures including pictures with my indoor cover over the bike when it’s docked which also fit great.

I think I might paint the long floor lever with some neon paint to make sure I don’t trip over it if the bike isn’t docked. The other thing is since the bike is up straight I can’t activate the built in handlebar lock on the R18 so I’ll get a disc lock. So far I highly recommend the Wheel Dock. It seems to be well worth it.

Tom

View attachment 2278View attachment 2280View attachment 2281View attachment 2282View attachment 2283View attachment 2284View attachment 2285View attachment 2288View attachment 2289
Glad you like the Wheel Dock. What indoor cover is it you are using, I like the fit.

After reading this article I’d be careful about Silicon on tires if the mixture contains petroleum:

https://www.detailxperts.net/blog/2012/08/20/tire-dressing-what-it-is-and-should-we-use-it/#:~:text=Solvent-based silicone dressings, often a clear, greasy, sticky,premature drying and cracking of the tire surface.

Petroleum can affect paint and cause tires to dry up. If anyone has suggestions on what might slick up the tire sidewall without petroleum please speak up. Thanks
I think I have some Zymol Tyre I want to try https://www.microfiberproducts.com/zy701typr12o.html . It’s not cheap but it has no silicon and it’s great on your tires. Will it actually help the tire slide into the Wheel Dock easier? No clue.

I think I have some Zymol Tyre I want to try https://www.microfiberproducts.com/zy701typr12o.html . It’s not cheap but it has no silicon and it’s great on your tires. Will it actually help the tire slide into the Wheel Dock easier? No clue.
I had time to try the Zymol Tyre spray today. I went for a 30 minute ride after I applied it and then parked the bike in the Wheel Dock. I still get some squeaking from the tire but it went in fairly easily. I think it helped a little. I’m not sure I’d buy it only for that purpose.

I had time to try the Zymol Tyre spray today. I went for a 30 minute ride after I applied it and then parked the bike in the Wheel Dock. I still get some squeaking from the tire but it went in fairly easily. I think it helped a little. I’m not sure I’d buy it only for that purpose.
For what it’s worth I have two Wheeldock chocks and the spacer kit. Goal was having a Wheeldock I could use on a wide variety of bikes. A slight squeak going in occasionally occurs but more importantly as long as you can get the bike in and out of the chock without the chock sliding it is good to go - the tighter the fit the better. I always had one Hell of a time getting my K1600B straight into the chock because with all of the fairing pieces I can’t see the chock so…I bought a high quality finished yard stick and some round quarter (coin) sized adhesive magnets. I stuck two magnets on the yardstick so I could attach it vertically to the Wheeldock for a visual in those cases. Problem solved.

Yeah,I have a Wheel Dock that I have used on 16 & 19inch wheels.The spacer kit allows for different fitments.Also,Cleaning the Wheel Dock with some WD-40 will help.I would discurage applying anything to the tires.

Regards,Tom

My front wheel is a 120/70/19 what is the correct model number to order?
Thanks

That's the size of my front tire as well, on my standard FE R18. You go to their website, select BMW, select R18, and then 2021. It'll bring up this
97C691CE-C2E5-4811-AABE-489CDD9ED869.jpeg

Just to be 100% sure, you could measure the width of your tire. A woodworking clamp works swimmingly. And include the measurement in the comment part of the order. Looking at my invoice from when I purchased (before they had the R18 as an option), I have the Model 3.

I bought one of these units for a 16 inch wide tire.I called them when I got a bike with a 130x60-19 inch wheel and I was able to buy spacers to allow me to use it on different width tires.
It works for both my R18C 130x90-16 & my bike with 130x60-19 with 1 large & 1 thin spacer.So,no need to change the spacers with these 2 bikes.
BTW,Great product.In the past WheelDock would make these in a special red color for Dealers to display on the showroom as to get folks to buy them.
Here is a picture of a medium spacer.The spacer kit comes with zip ties.I bought some extra ties at HF.
On a second note.As these are used it helps to lightly use WD40 on a rag and apply it to the side rails to keep clean and to glide in more easily.
Use sparingly & wipe off any excess sides only.Windex the bottom where the flat of the tire sits.

Attachments

• IMG_9418.JPG
    IMG_9418.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9419.JPG
    IMG_9419.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, for you guys in the Benelux/German region, you could try this one.
Got it yesterday, assembled it and tryed it; it fits nicely for the 130mm wide front tire of the R18 Classic.
Not bolted to the floor (yet).. in the pictures, note the little hook that locks the mechanisme when in use.

Happy with is

Attachments

• IMG_20211015_162712.jpg
    IMG_20211015_162712.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20211015_162735.jpg
    IMG_20211015_162735.jpg
    641.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20211015_162800.jpg
    IMG_20211015_162800.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
Back