R18 vs Harley

I am 57. Learned to ride at 55. Only bike has been an R18 first edition

Love it and thinking of upgrading to 2025 roctane

I keep getting advice to get a Harley - road king, Electra glide…I like touring with a cruiser look (hence the Roctane)

Anyone who has ridden both R18 and HD - what’s the big deal with HD.

I have limited life now and don’t want to miss some magical HD experience but I am guessing it’s mostly talk…anything SUBSTANTIALLY better about an HD experience? I know each bike has strengths and weaknesses but am I missing something by sticking with BMW?
I've had both Harley's and BMWs before getting my 2023 R18 Anniversary model. Only you can decide on what experience you prefer. It depends on your riding style and interests. Are you riding freeways or canyons. Do you want sound and vibration or smooth and rather quiet? Most Harley's are sold with the idea that you will be adding on or modifying the bike. That would include performance mods and things you might add for comfort or styling. BMWs are not designed to be modified other than comfort/ styling add ons for the most part. The factory does not offer performance mods, and there are very few and aftermarket.
I find BMWs to be a more refined product than Harley's. It's like the difference between a Chevy with all due respect and a Mercedes if that makes sense. But ultimately it's a personal decision.

Just get what you like, make sure you get a bike you won't outgrow quickly, don't drink and ride, pay attention, and have a good time....

I've owned Harley softtails and Road King before getting my 22 R18B FE. I'll be honest if money were not a consideration, I'll probably get a fully loaded CVO Streetglide instead.

However, R18B is ~$20k vs $40~50k CVO. And I like the big boxer enough that in my mind it is 80-90% as good as the Harley, thus my decision to buy.

IMO R18B:
Pros:
Looks, build quality, uniqueness, expected reliability (to be tested), ACC
Cons:
Vibration at higher speed (> 75mph is not very comfortable), feet forward position not ideal, sound not as good as HD, lack of aftermarket options

Both will have nice vibration at idle, but I still feel HD's vibration is more warm and organic if it makes sense to anyone while BMW's more artificial.

Have not experienced the heat issue with my 2023 R18C and I ride in southern AZ in the summertime? My HD was never happy in traffic, and neither was I when the seat started to heat up when forced to sit for any length of time in summer here, but once moving the bike was fine. I just figured I had handed HD enough of my money over the years so best to give BMW a shot at my pocketbook. On my 5th GS and first R18, so far so good!

Yes mine too. I wasn't trying to get into splitting hairs within the pro/cons as we all have our own tolerances to everything from seat comfort, wind management or performance-drivetrain traits, etc., but this engine is more like "old" boxer/pre liquid cooled bikes in that it continues to objectively get smoother and smoother from around 3-4 Ks to 8-9Ks and likes to have her legs stretched. I now have to hunt to find an "annoying" RPM and it takes less than +/- 3-5 MPH or +/- one gear changes to be in a very happy place.

I've owned about all the major brands of bikes and more Harleys than any other brand. In my experience, there are three reasons to buy a Harley over a R18.

Weight- the R18 is heavy, you can get a similar bike from Harley that is going to be 60-80 lbs less. The R18 weighs 761 lbs and the Fat Boy weighs 699 lbs. If you move look at other softails, they can weigh less than that even. The R18 feels heavier at slow speeds and when pushing around in a driveway or walk. Great example- I have a section of pavers in front of my garage. I can roll a Harley Low Rider back and forth on it just fine, but if I try to turn the wheel (while turning around) while moving my R18 it digs in and shifts pavers around. Kind of a pain, so I have to turn around in on pavement and roll backwards into my garage with the R18.

You want to do Harley things- like wanting to do rides with your local HOG chapter or join a legit MC that requires an American made bike.

You want to be able to go to a large event, like Sturgis or Daytona Bike Week and have pop up shops ready to do basic things to your bike like an oil change and a tire swap. That pop up shop probably isn't going to stock an oil filter, air filter or spark plugs for your R18, and they may even not have the right sort of jack to get it off the ground, as we all know.

The R18 is better constructed than any Harley I have owned- the engineering and assembly is just top notch when it comes to cruisers. It's smartly designed and well built.

No, I don't think so. Rent one for a day or a few days to see for yourself or go test ride one to compare. Harleys are great too, but they are not better.

Having owned Street Glide and Road Glide baggers (still own a Street Bob), I would say one of the best things about owning a HD ( at least in USA ) is the peace of mind knowing that if I'm on the road and the tire goes flat or I need service of some kind, it is fairly easy and quick to get back on the road. Most places I ride (Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota) I feel vulnerable on my R18B.
It took me almost 6000 miles before I was totally smitten by the BMW. I miss the wind management of the Road Glide.
I feel like I took leaps forward with most of the tech on the BMW, but went backwards with the navigation.

Just buy one of each :)

So interestingly enough... today I got on for a ride to work for the first time since my 114 mile trip last weekend and this bike feels completely different. Its so much smoother. Im guessing now over 800 miles on it Ive passed the break in period AND I have to admit I did not believe it when I used to read it here on the forum. It really makes a difference. Im so excited. The first 100 or 200 miles even made me think I made a mistake. Maybe thats why there are so many low miles R18 up for sale??

So interestingly enough... today I got on for a ride to work for the first time since my 114 mile trip last weekend and this bike feels completely different. Its so much smoother. Im guessing now over 800 miles on it Ive passed the break in period AND I have to admit I did not believe it when I used to read it here on the forum. It really makes a difference. Im so excited. The first 100 or 200 miles even made me think I made a mistake. Maybe thats why there are so many low miles R18 up for sale??
Good to hear and it will continue to get even better over the next couple service intervals 🍻

I've had a few H-Ds, including two Sporters and an FLHTCUI (Harley dresser). Rode those between '95 and just a few years ago. While I found the Sportsters fun to ride, the dresser was less so, underpowered, and prone to maintenance issues.

My R18 Tranny is my second Beemer, the first being a K1600 GTL. Having rode a BMW for a while now, I'm spoiled and can't see going back to H-D.

Last edited:
👍 I haven't broken in my TC yet, only 7,800 miles so far. I consider this in relation to my '02 GS; it didn't feel broken in until I hit around 18,000 miles.

7,800... yea its going to be a while. Everything is so close by for me.. only get like 2-4 days a months to have a day where I can ride more than 80 miles in a day..

Disclaimer: below are data points only, not an argument nor a conclusive 'fact'. Also not appropriate for the TLDR crowd.

I ride a TC and a GS, almost exclusively solo or 2-up. For my height, age and build, I find the TC a very comfortable bike for my type of long distance riding, especially 2-up: about 300 miles/day, give or take 50-100 or so, mostly secondary roads, interstates and urban streets when I must.

I also ride with a small group of long-term, skilled and experienced riders. We meet up annually for a multi-day, multi-state ride and we either ride our own bikes or fly in and rent. These rides often cover 2-3,000 miles or more. Two guys own and ride HDs, three if us own and ride BMWs.

We've talked about their various bike experiences and, uniformly, the rented HDs and Indians have not pleased them: handling not to their liking, engine heat, seat discomfort, RID issues. The guys who own HDs love their own bikes, and I can see why, though the rentals have not been well-received by them either. They chose the bike that fits them and have tweaked these bikes to fit their needs, as we all do.

It comes down to personal prefererence and choice and one's personal farkling. I really haven't toured on either a HD nor an Indian, only done test rides at the dealer, so my input here is 2nd person and inconclusive.... it's a data point, not a conclusive result.

The only conclusive result here is that I find the TC to be a great fit for me. 😁 YRMV.

Last edited:
7,800... yea its going to be a while. Everything is so close by for me.. only get like 2-4 days a months to have a day where I can ride more than 80 miles in a day..
That's a great shot if your bike in your profile pic, looks good!
I getcha on the mileage. Keep at it, it'll come around.
I used to live where riding was year-round. I often rode to work and I tried to do at least one multi-day ride each year.
Now I live where riding is seasonal but, fortunately, we were able to retire, so I can take better advantage of the frustratingly limited riding season.

Having owned Street Glide and Road Glide baggers (still own a Street Bob), I would say one of the best things about owning a HD ( at least in USA ) is the peace of mind knowing that if I'm on the road and the tire goes flat or I need service of some kind, it is fairly easy and quick to get back on the road. Most places I ride (Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota) I feel vulnerable on my R18B.
It took me almost 6000 miles before I was totally smitten by the BMW. I miss the wind management of the Road Glide.
I feel like I took leaps forward with most of the tech on the BMW, but went backwards with the navigation.

Just buy one of each :)
Agreed. The extensive HD dealership network is a good asset. Most HD dealerships I've been to have been very helpful and are much appreciated (shout out to High Plains HD in Clovis, New Mexico and Snake HD in Twin Falls, Idaho).
The relative scarcity of BMW dealerships is a valid point, though in 100,000 miles plus of BMW riding it's only become an issue once on a trip, when I couldn't find a @#$$! proper o-ring for my GS oil filler plug. To offset that, the forum and 3rd party support is phenomenally good.

I am 57. Learned to ride at 55. Only bike has been an R18 first edition

Love it and thinking of upgrading to 2025 roctane

I keep getting advice to get a Harley - road king, Electra glide…I like touring with a cruiser look (hence the Roctane)

Anyone who has ridden both R18 and HD - what’s the big deal with HD.

I have limited life now and don’t want to miss some magical HD experience but I am guessing it’s mostly talk…anything SUBSTANTIALLY better about an HD experience? I know each bike has strengths and weaknesses but am I missing something by sticking with BMW?
I owned
I've had both Harley's and BMWs before getting my 2023 R18 Anniversary model. Only you can decide on what experience you prefer. It depends on your riding style and interests. Are you riding freeways or canyons. Do you want sound and vibration or smooth and rather quiet? Most Harley's are sold with the idea that you will be adding on or modifying the bike. That would include performance mods and things you might add for comfort or styling. BMWs are not designed to be modified other than comfort/ styling add ons for the most part. The factory does not offer performance mods, and there are very few and aftermarket.
I find BMWs to be a more refined product than Harley's. It's like the difference between a Chevy with all due respect and a Mercedes if that makes sense. But ultimately it's a personal decision.

Just get what you like, make sure you get a bike you won't outgrow quickly, don't drink and ride, pay attention, and have a good time....
I have owned a used 1998 HD Electra Gluide Classic, a new 2005 Road King, and an new 2006 Ultra Classic. A new BMW 2005 LT1200, a new 2009 Rt1200, a new 2012 GTL 1600, and a new 2022 R1800B. If you like the style, the GTL 1600 is hands down far better to ride than any Harley I had. (power, ride, safety, wind protection, technology) For the most part, my HDs had poor suspension, poor brakes, lack of safety technology, too much wind buffeting, and I always had a sweaty ass from motor heat. A seat sheep skin is a must. My new R1800B is not as comfortable as the 2012 GTL 1600, but I consider it a day cruiser, not touring bike. It is quite loaded with technology and nicer to ride than the HDs. Also has a reverse. Note that I have never had as much wind buffeting or a sweaty ass or motor heat on any of the Beamers, but I did install a taller windshield on the R1800B, as they do come with a very short windshield. HD are nice looking bikes, nice chrome, but HD is at least 10 years behind in technology.

I owned

I have owned a used 1998 HD Electra Gluide Classic, a new 2005 Road King, and an new 2006 Ultra Classic. A new BMW 2005 LT1200, a new 2009 Rt1200, a new 2012 GTL 1600, and a new 2022 R1800B. If you like the style, the GTL 1600 is hands down far better to ride than any Harley I had. (power, ride, safety, wind protection, technology) For the most part, my HDs had poor suspension, poor brakes, lack of safety technology, too much wind buffeting, and I always had a sweaty ass from motor heat. A seat sheep skin is a must. My new R1800B is not as comfortable as the 2012 GTL 1600, but I consider it a day cruiser, not touring bike. It is quite loaded with technology and nicer to ride than the HDs. Also has a reverse. Note that I have never had as much wind buffeting or a sweaty ass or motor heat on any of the Beamers, but I did install a taller windshield on the R1800B, as they do come with a very short windshield. HD are nice looking bikes, nice chrome, but HD is at least 10 years behind in technology.
The 2024 CVO Street/Road Glides feature fully up-to-date tech, upside-down forks, axially mounted front brake calipers, variable valve timing and a range of other improvements and tweaks trickling down from Bagger Racing, as well as electric windshields, brilliant lighting, etc. The regular ones are not far behind. We cannot blame H-D if we cannot afford CVOs. Ducati recently did a limited run of Diavels complementing a Bentley Model, selling between £46K and £71K. They sold out just over one month. Kramer regularly sells limited jacked-up KTM runs direct online for top dollar - they are generally all gone in one day. Russian Box-39 does spectacular Customs generally starting at $100K - they cannot build them fast enough, despite sanctions. There are a lot of people out there with lots of spare change.

Back