R18 with Sidecar '

My understanding is that it was approved in Europe since it was built, assembled, and tested in The Netherlands. I was told by the U.S. company representative that the builder (Ad Donkers -- LBS sidecars) borrowed an R18 from a local dealer to get the assembly perfect, including installing the Leading Link front end on the borrowed R18, assembled the entire rig and test drove it in The Netherlands before disassembling everything, returning the borrowed R18 to the local dealer, then shipping everything else to the U.S. LBS affiliate for assembly on my R18.

You don’t need a leading link or mods for a sidecar... but it helps. I’ve been a side artist for quite some time (Urals and an old R75/6 I converted. These rigs sure look good

You don’t need a leading link or mods for a sidecar... but it helps. I’ve been a side artist for quite some time (Urals and an old R75/6 I converted. These rigs sure look good
You don’t need to modify the front geometry (there are a few ways to accomplish it) BUT after a few miles with cruiser-style bikes without addressing the front end you will wish to Hell you had’ve!

You don’t need to modify the front geometry (there are a few ways to accomplish it) BUT after a few miles with cruiser-style bikes without addressing the front end you will wish to Hell you had’ve!
After spending several years driving a 1986 Suzuki Cavalcade with a 2-person (side-by-side) Motorvation sidecar, where there were NO modifications to the front end of the Suzuki, which steered like a Mack truck with no power steering; I decided for this build the Leading Link was an absolute necessity!

After spending several years driving a 1986 Suzuki Cavalcade with a 2-person (side-by-side) Motorvation sidecar, where there were NO modifications to the front end of the Suzuki, which steered like a Mack truck with no power steering; I decided for this build the Leading Link was an absolute necessity!
I hear ya! I've used both leading link and reduced trail (or "raked") triple trees on various rigs and they do make a difference. Beach bars will increase steering leverage and help some but don't even come close to "fixing" the front geometry.

I hear ya! I've used both leading link and reduced trail (or "raked") triple trees on various rigs and they do make a difference. Beach bars will increase steering leverage and help some but don't even come close to "fixing" the front geometry.
After years of using an unmodified front end, this LL is such a massive improvement. Took me several hundred miles to get used to how light the steering is now.

Post all the Pictures you want of the beautiful rig. I will enjoy every single one.. incidentally I have a sidecar rig and it is a hoot. People are so taken by sidecars, it just puts a wide eyed smile on everyone’s face when they see one. There are rare. This picture doesn’t belong here so please forget me for sharing for those who may be uninterested

89212D4E-116A-4A6C-9F2B-35F798938992.jpeg

Great!
The forum is for those whom own a R18.Posting of your other motorcycles isn't bothersome to me.I appreciate the love of motorcycles.
I am glad you get it!
The Sidecar does make it a problem when stopping for gasoline.Folks have all knids of questions,FUN for us that are retired.I like talking to people.
The sidecar gets all kinds of (y).Even from folks that don't really like motorcycles.It's a HOOT for sure.Thanks again for posting.
I have a Indian RM,Honda Rebel,and the R18C.My wife has a Honda Lead.The Rebel & Lead are in Vietnam.Lots of riders there.LOL!
Anyway,we can't go back till Covid is done there.

Thx again,HD w/sidecar & Love the Springer!

Great!
The forum is for those whom own a R18.Posting of your other motorcycles isn't bothersome to me.I appreciate the love of motorcycles.
I am glad you get it!
The Sidecar does make it a problem when stopping for gasoline.Folks have all knids of questions,FUN for us that are retired.I like talking to people.
The sidecar gets all kinds of (y).Even from folks that don't really like motorcycles.It's a HOOT for sure.Thanks again for posting.
I have a Indian RM,Honda Rebel,and the R18C.My wife has a Honda Lead.The Rebel & Lead are in Vietnam.Lots of riders there.LOL!
Anyway,we can't go back till Covid is done there.

Thx again,HD w/sidecar & Love the Springer!
I'm thinking my R18c is going to need a side car....I had a Ural for several years and couldn't go any where without leaving 30 minutes for Q&A...

Attachments

• 7A93ADD9-5993-4F03-BA8F-AEC839E33D33.jpeg
    7A93ADD9-5993-4F03-BA8F-AEC839E33D33.jpeg
    413.2 KB · Views: 7
  • F4241321-FF9C-4C3A-B717-853793BFCA02.jpeg
    F4241321-FF9C-4C3A-B717-853793BFCA02.jpeg
    868.5 KB · Views: 8
I'm thinking my R18c is going to need a side car....I had a Ural for several years and couldn't go any where without leaving 30 minutes for Q&A...
Hannigan is the one I highly recommend .

Hannigan is the one I highly recommend .
Agree with R18C. Under his very generous tutelage I have a Hannigan on order now. Very easy and straightforward engagement so far. Not surprisingly they know their stuff and have been remarkably patient with evolving design ideas.

One of the first, NOT the first. Looks awesome to boot. Seen it in person. Super shop as are the owners.
Yeah,Watsonian sidecar made in England.They have been making sidecars for around 100 years.I checked into them.They look kinda like a Steib sidecar that were put on BMWs years ago.A friend of mine has one on a Sportster.After,he saw my rig he really got excited and now wants a bigger bike to purchase a Hannigan with the ECC.
The price on the Watsonian was not bad except for the shipping was gonna bump the price up quite a bit.Next,there is no entry door.Having bought a Hannigan and having a door makes the car a easy in & out.Next,No Brake on the car.This does 2 things,#1:saves the brakes on the bike so you are not just using the brakes on the bike.#2:The braking is much more controllable allowing you to stop in a straight line.Next,comes the ECC(Electronic Camber Control)This enables the driver to adjust the to the crown of the road so the car is not pulling towards the drain off side of the road.Last American made and Hannigan installs with perfect alignment right at the factory.
I did my research and watched every Youtube video I could find.I read everything I could.One article mentioned not having a brake on the sidecar.
He said"Just ride the rig over a cliff and save the other guy from being involved in your accident",LOL.
I don't claim to be a expert on sidecars but I do own one.To be clear,I have ridden a Ural.My Hannigan is nothing like a Ural except to the gas on, right gas off, left.
My rig is stable and I wouldn't have believed the difference in manufactures and customer service.I went to Kentucky and was able to tour the entire plant.Ruth said"you can come back anytime you want and see the progress.Great folks.She also did classroom instruction and actual on the bike instruction.
Last thing,I'm gonna be 72 in April and been riding since 1962.Do the math,:D.Gotta say the rig has brought me to a place where I haven't been before.Thought I had done about all I could do.Rode/Traveled in all 48 states on a motorcycle.Plus rented bikes in Hawaii.I also have a Condo in Vietnam and a Honda Rebel to ride when my wife and I go back there to visit.
So,my answer to"How fast have you ridden the bike with a side car?"
I can smile and say "above triple digits":cool:

Attachments

• IMG_9794.JPG
    IMG_9794.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_9790.JPG
    IMG_9790.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_9793.JPG
    IMG_9793.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 33