R18C as a first bike

rublezz345

Site Supporter
Good day to everyone!

Planning to buy my first bike and I definitely want R18. Now I will highly appreciate your advice on this, because I`m stucked in the middle - buy Yamaha Drag Star 1100 ( 2004-2005) as first, then sell it next year and buy brand new R18 OR buy R18 a not waste my time. All of you is highly experienced riders, so your advice ( pros/cons) will be highly appreciated!

Sorry for any mistakes as I`m not native english speaker :)

P.S. Living in Azerbaijan

Your English is better than my Azerbaijan, so no worries!

I can't give you 'advice' as like you I'm an inexperienced rider, but I did take a leap of faith (in my self) and buy an R18 as my first bike. I've had no regrets, only pleasure. The R18 is a joy to ride and it puts a massive smile on my face every time I take it out. It took a while to get accustomed to the size and power of the bike, and slow speed manoeuvring is not for the faint hearted(!), but I find it handles beautifully and I've become a confident rider on it. I'm assuming your hesitation is based on being new to riding and thinking the R18 might be too much to handle straight away? If you're not confident in your riding ability at this point in time, then maybe go for a smaller/cheaper bike and get some miles under your belt first, but otherwise get on the R18 and start as you mean to go on!

I'm sure others on this forum will be able to provide more experienced advice, but best of luck with whatever you decide.

Your English is better than my Azerbaijan, so no worries!

I can't give you 'advice' as like you I'm an inexperienced rider, but I did take a leap of faith (in my self) and buy an R18 as my first bike. I've had no regrets, only pleasure. The R18 is a joy to ride and it puts a massive smile on my face every time I take it out. It took a while to get accustomed to the size and power of the bike, and slow speed manoeuvring is not for the faint hearted(!), but I find it handles beautifully and I've become a confident rider on it. I'm assuming your hesitation is based on being new to riding and thinking the R18 might be too much to handle straight away? If you're not confident in your riding ability at this point in time, then maybe go for a smaller/cheaper bike and get some miles under your belt first, but otherwise get on the R18 and start as you mean to go on!

I'm sure others on this forum will be able to provide more experienced advice, but best of luck with whatever you decide.
Thank you! Probably I`ll make short trip to Germany and rent R18C, to feel it.

I was moped rider in childhood ( 13-15yr age, now I`m 37) and at the moment taked riding course. Trying to forget old non-acceptable habits )))

Imho, it depends on your goals.

If your ultimate goal is to just ride the R18, starting on it and just learning that bike might be the way to go in terms of cost and time. Going through multiple bikes can be time consuming and costly.

If your goal is to get into motorcycling as a hobby/sport in a broader sense, I would humbly recommend starting on the smallest bike feasible. That'll promote the quickest skill acquisition and competency. (Also... small bikes are hilariously fun to ride!)

Your goal can change though, as mine have over the years with motorcycling.
This can be a contentious topic but this is what I've gathered from my personal experience. Your mileage may vary of course.

Either way, I hope you have a successful entry into an immensely enjoyable and rewarding hobby!

Imho, it depends on your goals.

If your ultimate goal is to just ride the R18, starting on it and just learning that bike might be the way to go in terms of cost and time. Going through multiple bikes can be time consuming and costly.

If your goal is to get into motorcycling as a hobby/sport in a broader sense, I would humbly recommend starting on the smallest bike feasible. That'll promote the quickest skill acquisition and competency. (Also... small bikes are hilariously fun to ride!)

Your goal can change though, as mine have over the years with motorcycling.
This can be a contentious topic but this is what I've gathered from my personal experience. Your mileage may vary of course.

Either way, I hope you have a successful entry into an immensely enjoyable and rewarding hobby!

That's the main point. I was dreaming for bike too long and don`t want to waste any minute. Anyway I wanna to ride it first, cos my opinion is based only on Youtube videos and user feedbacks, then I`ll pull the trigger or stop it.

Reactions: Vyk
welcome rublezz345! I believe you’re the only member/soon to possibly be owner from Azerbaijan! Very cool. My wife’s sister and her husband lived in Baku for a year and really enjoyed themselves.

Anyhow, advice…hmmmm. Test ride it with the ability to buy right then and there. Have all the resources lined up and ready. Then leave. Go to lunch and think it over. Regardless of which way you’re leaning, go home.

When you wake up the next day, you’ll have one of two feelings: relief (that you didn’t buy) or excitement (you’re already getting dressed to go buy it). You’ll know.

I should add that the advice about starting small is correct. And so is the advice about just getting an R18. These are entirely contradictory and simultaneously true.

/motorcycles are emotional purchases
//the heart wants what the heart wants
///be careful, it’s a lot of bike

Last edited:
welcome rublezz345! I believe you’re the only member/soon to possibly be owner from Azerbaijan! Very cool. My wife’s sister and her husband lived in Baku for a year and really enjoyed themselves.

Anyhow, advice…hmmmm. Test ride it with the ability to buy right then and there. Have all the resources lined up and ready. Then leave. Go to lunch and think it over. Regardless of which way you’re leaning, go home.

When you wake up the next day, you’ll have one of two feelings: relief (that you didn’t buy) or excitement (you’re already getting dressed to go buy it). You’ll know.
I'm glad to hear that they enjoyed staying in Azerbaijan.
Probably I'm first who is really interests in R18 here in Baku. I've to check with local BMW dealer possibility to order R18, as we have no BMW Motorrad dealer here. After test ride in Germany, I'll make decision to buy or not and from where. Anyway bike with warranty will be better.

Well, the Dad comes out in me when these types of questions get posted and my response is probably not the most popular. The R18 is not a beginner bike in any shape form or fashion. Like many here with varying degrees of experience and abilities, many (if not the majority) started on something smaller. But there is light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. First and foremost, I highly recommend taking a motorcycle safety course. Secondly, if you're intent on a cruiser, there are loads of 350cc-750cc bikes that are much more beginner friendly. Learning slow speed maneuvers on a 400lb bike will build confidence much faster than an 800lb 1800cc sled. Heck, go buy a Royal Enfield Meteor (350cc) to learn on. Under $5k US. The R18s aren't going anywhere.

Well, the Dad comes out in me when these types of questions get posted and my response is probably not the most popular. The R18 is not a beginner bike in any shape form or fashion. Like many here with varying degrees of experience and abilities, many (if not the majority) started on something smaller. But there is light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. First and foremost, I highly recommend taking a motorcycle safety course. Secondly, if you're intent on a cruiser, there are loads of 350cc-750cc bikes that are much more beginner friendly. Learning slow speed maneuvers on a 400lb bike will build confidence much faster than an 800lb 1800cc sled. Heck, go buy a Royal Enfield Meteor (350cc) to learn on. Under $5k US. The R18s aren't going anywhere.
I agree on each word above, but there I've give some inputs.
Buying and selling here is a real pain. Price for used 2004yr Yamaha Drag Star 1100 is $7k, 2008 Suzuki Boulevard $8.5k. I'm already passing safety course, so shouldn't be any issues on this side.
Thank you for wide responce.

Been riding over 60 years-I started riding at 4 years old on a 3HP minibike. My 2 cents worth, buy the R18 and be very cautious.
I hear of a lot of motorcycle accidents where the rider went out and bought a brand new Harley for their first bike.
There is no substitute for the experience gained with seat time no matter what you are riding.

I agree on each word above, but there I've give some inputs.
Buying and selling here is a real pain. Price for used 2004yr Yamaha Drag Star 1100 is $7k, 2008 Suzuki Boulevard $8.5k. I'm already passing safety course, so shouldn't be any issues on this side.
Thank you for wide responce.
Been riding over 60 years-I started riding at 4 years old on a 3HP minibike. My 2 cents worth, buy the R18 and be very cautious.
I hear of a lot of motorcycle accidents where the rider went out and bought a brand new Harley for their first bike.
There is no substitute for the experience gained with seat time no matter what you are riding.

I would also seriously consider continuing education/training.

I'll be taking my 4th class/clinic of the year this weekend. There is merit in having someone else watch and instruct you compared to just trying to figure everything out yourself!

I would also seriously consider continuing education/training.

I'll be taking my 4th class/clinic of the year this weekend. There is merit in having someone else watch and instruct you compared to just trying to figure everything out yourself!
Agreed. Classes are terrific. I had been riding for 4 or 5 years then took a class with my girlfriend (eventually Mrs. Todkavonic) because she was looking to buy a bike. It was super helpful and worth the time and expense.

I don't know about Azerbaijan but here in the Australian bush the hazards are every were [ Kangaroos, Emus, Dirt roads, Other road users etc ] The experience on Motor cross and Trials bikes in the 60s and 70s has helped keep me alive, For the last few years in Australia it is Government Legislation all new riders must learn on a LAMS approved motorcycle [ Learner Approved Motorcycle ] which i think is 50hp or less. So for some body with no experience to jump on a 91hp 345kg and nearly a metre wide motorbike is not sensible.

Reactions: Vyk
The R18C is one of the easiest and nicest handling bikes I have ever ridden.Low center of gravity and balanced.
Not sure why folks talk about the weight ot it being heavy.Funny,I never bought a bike to carry.The weight of this bike makes for a smooth and easy bike to ride.The power is not overwhelming but linear with spot on gearing.The R18C is kinda in the convertible category.You can take the bags & windshield off or leave them on for a more tourer feel.The 16 inch front wheel does help some to slow the steering down a bit.
Take a class, get the optional crash bars and spend lots of hours in a slow speed parking lot maneuvers focusing on repeated clutch release and braking.There is enough torque that the throttle does not need to be applied in most cases.
Anyone can graduate to riding in a straight line 70 to 80 mph situation.Learning how to operate the bike at slow speeds will make you a real rider.Many great videos on Youtube,leaning,pushing.pulling and steering with butte and leaning body control.
Good Luck and Be smart.

As to the original question, if the question really is between the VSTAR 1100 and the R18, I see no reason not to go for the BMW if you prefer it and if the price difference isn't a factor (there of course is a significant price difference.) As argued above, there may or may not be reasons to consider other options, but between these two, if you can afford the R18, I say go for it.

As to the original question, if the question really is between the VSTAR 1100 and the R18, I see no reason not to go for the BMW if you prefer it and if the price difference isn't a factor (there of course is a significant price difference.) As argued above, there may or may not be reasons to consider other options, but between these two, if you can afford the R18, I say go for it.
Thank you!
Anyway I`m planning to buy R18, first or after other bike/s, just don't want to get into buying/selling challenge. 2014y R1200GS is for 18kEUR here ( just to show our market rates)

I repeat. Buy It. Don't do anything stupid, that means: practice till you have confidence, don't drink and drive, stay focus, wear appropriate gear.

I already scratched my plan.
1. Travel to Germany for testdrive
2. Make a decision
If YES, will buy it.

Back