Rate the R18 Please ! ! !

Would you rate the R18FE a better choice over a R18B? If you had to do it all over again would you still get the R18FE over a R18B? I realize the extra weight is a factor on the R18B and to me it is a hand full trying to do a slow turn or change direction when stopped to go the other way (did a test ride). Maybe a trade-off of R18FE looks vs better rear travel with the R18B mode
Would you rate the R18FE a better choice over a R18B? If you had to do it all over again would you still get the R18FE over a R18B? I realize the extra weight is a factor on the R18B and to me it is a hand full trying to do a slow turn or change direction when stopped to go the other way (did a test ride). Maybe a trade-off of R18FE looks vs better rear travel with the R18B models.
I just switched over from the Classic to the Bagger yes it is heavier but the ride is so much better

Slow speed turning does require noticeable counter steer, but I those moments are rare.

I have a 2021 R18 Classic, First Edition. I put the Roland Sands heads on it and upgraded to a Weekender seat. An amazing bike! Comfortable and dynamic with great power and riding position. I love having no fairing to block the view. One of my all-time favorite bikes!

I'm lucky enough to currently own four bikes (R1250GSA, Tenere 700, an R18 Classic, and a YZ450FX). I have owned more motorcycles than I can remember in my lifetime. 80% have been BMW's, and over half of those have been GS/GSA's. I am drawn to the R18 in a way that I have never been with other bikes. For me, motorcycling is about being immersed in an experience that makes everything else fade away; if only so you can catch your breath. When I ride the R18 I'm hypnotized by the sound, the torque, its character, and the way it makes me feel cooler than I am just being the pilot. For a while at least, I am immersed; and I can catch my breath. Yeah, I like my R18C.
I so totally agree with you, have owned many bikes but only 5 BMW's. This bike is TOPS I am just crazy about the experience of riding it.....

I don’t understand the high rpm mentality. This bike is harmonious between 1,800 rpm and 2,500 rpm.
It's not a mentality, ride it how you wish and be happy. I'm happy riding it within it's design parameters in which the engine is a joy. You're using a third of the engine's normal operating range and there are more "harmonious" capabilities than you choose to use, good for you. I as have others described clear examples of "proper" use the wider RPM range and for anyone that's ridden as long as you claim I find it hard to understand how you can't understand. Your condemnations make it sound like an engine being continually bounced off the rev limiter rather simply using the available range.

Be well and ride safe.

Don’t own one…might not unless a fire sale on a R18C and bmw .9 financing. When it comes to bikes everyone can, may, might, and probably just wants to do their own thing. From what I read, and these post confirm, it has a low spread sweet spot rpm range. That is how BMW designed the engine. Don’t know if that means one has to shift more to stay in the zone or not. Likewise, as the engine breaks in it might be possible that sweet spot can be expanded a bit higher and the engine still be smooth. Stock it seems maybe when you hit 80 you start to feel a bit of vibs from the engine.

And like others have said, heck if someone wants to rev up heigher so be it. Just so they realize that is not where BMW designed the smooth rpm range. It is not a good thing, bad thing. It simply is what the bike is. If you want smooth run it within the designed rpm range, if you want higher revs and then ‘feel’ the big boxer engine so be it :)

I think it would be a hoot to see a R18B that has the front faring taken off and a Corbin batwing put on in its place :)
Too bad bmw does not import the R18B without speakers in the saddle bags, would allow more storage space.
Handlebar mounted fairings with so much weight are not a benefit to a ride (sort of like my long gone r1200clc).
Ride safe and enjoy the model you got all and ride them how you want or ride them like you stole it

Last edited:
It's not a mentality, ride it how you wish and be happy. I'm happy riding it within it's design parameters in which the engine is a joy. You're using a third of the engine's normal operating range and there are more "harmonious" capabilities than you choose to use, good for you. I as have others described clear examples of "proper" use the wider RPM range and for anyone that's ridden as long as you claim I find it hard to understand how you can't understand. Your condemnations make it sound like an engine being continually bounced off the rev limiter rather simply using the available range.

Be well and ride safe.
The words "I don't understand the high rpm mentality" meant I don't get that style of riding. Those words somehow seemed like a condemnation to you. It was a reflection on my view of riding.

The words "I don't understand the high rpm mentality" meant I don't get that style of riding. Those words somehow seemed like a condemnation to you. It was a reflection on my view of riding.
Comment was not meant to be directed at any persons post :(
I own a Hondas nc700x, it too has anarrow sweet spot power band. Think some of the mag sites referenced ‘having’ to short shift the bike to stay in the power band mode. I like that bike, it is my gutless wonder I call it, doesn’t nothing great, all things good is my take on it. Maybe like that old day honda pacific coast :)

I have not owned bikes per say with high rpm range zones, well guesss my short lived honda st1300 might apply to that mode. Though found my st100 very well mannered a ride. Miss that bike for certain.

I don’t need a R18C, if though after another test ride I find I can live with the rear shock travel I might consider it. I. Find the bike to be, in a manner of speaking, a work of art (well that might be saying a bit much). To me BWW…think cycle world video review said it, BMW created the Form first to copy the old Ike (R7??) then figured out how to fit/design the engine so one could ride it (limited some may say power band, not lots of leg room under the jugs). I am not a techie bike owner thus my thoughts could be off the mark.

Apology if it appeared I was directing my comments to any specific post made in this thread.

The darn bike is such a looker and the Big Engine is indeed a different opposed twin experience for any of use current/prior Boxer owners. Too me it is a redo of the old r1200cl/clc trim bike. Better is some (many) ways yet with limitations just like that cl/clc line had. The extra weight the R18 line carries and some may feel restricted low speed handling aside.

Last edited:
It's definitely better than a swift kick to the nuts... :D

Actually, I like it a LOT! First boxer I've owned and I'm really enjoying it (after replacing that POS stock seat with a Weekender)...
where did you get the new seat ??? I found my seat a bit less than I was expecting, after more than an hour if felt very hard !! !

I bought the Weekender at Max BMW in North Hampton, NH. It is infinitely better than the OEM POS and is well worth the price for both me and my pillion...

I think the R18TC is somewhere around bike number 25 - including 15 Harleys. I would say I've stopped looking for the perfect bike, but am already thinking of adding a bobber R18 to the stable for Hooligan days. The TC is effortless to ride, pure enjoyment.

Having said that - every bike I've ever owned, was the best bike I've ever owned - when I owned it.

Back