Rate the R18 Please ! ! !

Really? It’s an oil change just like every other road bike. I think you can pull it off.
Some dealers like MAX BMW had even offered service classes to customers for basic maintenance tasks. I know several have complained about factory service manuals not being available to end customers anymore, but all the basic stuff is just like most any other bike. Make friendly with some techs at the dealership & you can get torque settings and clearance specs for all the basics.

I’d expect something like a Haynes version to come out for more advanced items. I have those for my older BMWs and they are helpful.

Guess my thinking is a bit on the outer fringes. For the record, this is my 5th BMW motorcycle to go along with 15 Harleys. Always did my own maintenance on the Harleys, mainly because I was broke and was also a diesel mechanic so fairly easy. When I decided to rejoin the BMW fray, understood services were part of the cost of ownership and after jumping up and down off tanks and other heavy equipment for 25 years in the Army - I find it easier to stroke a check than to make these old bones get up and down.

Having said that - I just complained about the cost of a wunderlich accessory a couple days ago, and had to remind myself I'm riding a $30k motorcycle - I really shouldnt squabble about a $150 footpeg if it increases my riding pleasure as those parts are equal in quality to the bike itself.

So, heading to the dealer for a service is still not my favorite thing to do, but as I said, I calculated all that into the equation before buying the bike. YMMV.

I do know a BMW certified mechanic, I will toss a hint at him.....
I recall long ago, a friend worked as a mechanic for a British bike dealer, his wife would sew up tool rolls and they would stock them with fine tools and a manual, set off the new owner all set to go, it was not long before the new owner was back with his bike needing work. The shop owner was not loosing any money on those tools that he included in the sale.... jp

Back