Reverse gear issue

Just been out on my R18 C. Quite used to working with the reverse assist however, this morning, although showing as in Reverse, it would not reverse. Tried several times and was on flat ground. When switching back to Neutral, it did not show Neutral straight away. I had to play with it a little.
Just back from ride so will let it cool down and take a better look. Very inconvenient though. Glad I haven't yet carried out the BrenTune in case it has to go back to the dealers.

That happened to me a couple of time.
And I'm used to it, so I did no mistake with it.
So many securities in this thing...

I've only used it twice. Both times it worked perfectly. The dealer told me that if it doesn't disengage immediately, just push the bike forward slighty and it should disengage.

UPDATE!
All good again. I can't remember if perhaps I had a brain fart and didn't hold in the clutch but either way, working perfectly now.
As Adrian say's, it is sometimes necessary to have to rock the bike to come back out of Reverse but recently even that has been improving.

.....and get one of these groovy farkles. I makes shifting easier.

Not for me I’m afraid. Maybe through regular use or whatever, I have no issues with the short lever as supplied. Might feel different if freezing hands were an issue.

Not for me I’m afraid. Maybe through regular use or whatever, I have no issues with the short lever as supplied. Might feel different if freezing hands were an issue.

I often had problems with the reverse gear, and nothing since I installed this extended lever

May be it's the solution ?!!

The longer lever increases the torque you can apply to the handle. I’ve found a couple times on mine you can rotate the stock lever enough to engage the switch that shows it in neutral, but not enough to engage the mechanical bits.

It might also have to do with the position of the drive train so slight movement forward or aft could allow the mechanics to engage after the reverse switch has engaged.

The longer lever increases the torque you can apply to the handle. I’ve found a couple times on mine you can rotate the stock lever enough to engage the switch that shows it in neutral, but not enough to engage the mechanical bits.

It might also have to do with the position of the drive train so slight movement forward or aft could allow the mechanics to engage after the reverse switch has engaged.
As you mentioned, towards the end of the movement there is a slight click’ indicating the gear has engaged. Likewise, especially when coming out of reverse, it is sometimes necessary to rock the bike back and forth. Agree with all you say.

Reverse gear glitch happened again today. Slipped into reverse and noticed the R on display was flashing. Pressed the starter and nothing happened. No odd noises and no movement. Tried several times turning bike off and on between attempts. I am suspecting a sticky microswitch somewhere as when I click back to normal I then have to press the clutch for the R to switch back to N on the display. I will try again tomorrow and see if it has gone back to normal.
The more I use the reverse, the smoother the process becomes but this glitch can be a pain.

Reverse gear glitch happened again today. Slipped into reverse and noticed the R on display was flashing. Pressed the starter and nothing happened. No odd noises and no movement. Tried several times turning bike off and on between attempts. I am suspecting a sticky microswitch somewhere as when I click back to normal I then have to press the clutch for the R to switch back to N on the display. I will try again tomorrow and see if it has gone back to normal.
The more I use the reverse, the smoother the process becomes but this glitch can be a pain.
When I put my bike in reverse I hold the gear lever in place and push the bike either forward or backward(which ever is easier).Then I hit the red button to back up.It works perfectly every time.
Since I have a sidecar it is definitely a must use feature.
The reverse also will not allow you to push the red button on and off repeatedly.If I do that the R will flash and not back up.
Again the reverse is well thought out and will only work if it is engaged properly.Just jiggle back & forth after putting the lever in reverse.You will feel it go in & lock the reverse.
Hope that helps.

TK

Last edited by a moderator:
When I put my bike in reverse I hold the gear lever in place and push the bike either forward or backward(which ever is easier).Then I hit the red button to back up.It works perfectly every time.
Since I have a sidecar it is definitely a must use feature.
The reverse also will not allow you to push the red button on and off repeatedly.If I do that the R will flash and not back up.
Again the reverse is well thought out and will only work if it is engaged properly.Just jiggle back & forth after putting the lever in reverse.You will feel it go in & lock the reverse.
Hope that helps.
If I was not clear I can give you mu phone number.
TK
Many thanks for the prompt response and guidance. I will follow your advice and hopefully avoid this problem. 😊

I agree with this. It's a mechanical system, and the gears sometimes need a little help to get the reverse lever and associated mechanical bits to "lock in" so to speak. Just take pressure off those mechanical bits ever so slightly by gently rolling the bike forward and/or rearward force while you rotate the reverse gear lever.

This is nothing that unusual for a transmission or any gear-engaging system. They're mechanical and sometimes require a little more persuasion and finesse to get the the internal gear components properly aligned before the system is fully engaged. You can't simply switch it randomly into what you assume is the right position. Once you know these systems work, you'll get it right every time thereafter.

IMHO, it's part of the charm of owning a mechanical system.

I agree with this. It's a mechanical system, and the gears sometimes need a little help to get the reverse lever and associated mechanical bits to "lock in" so to speak. Just take pressure off those mechanical bits ever so slightly by gently rolling the bike forward and/or rearward force while you rotate the reverse gear lever.

This is nothing that unusual for a transmission or any gear-engaging system. They're mechanical and sometimes require a little more persuasion and finesse to get the the internal gear components properly aligned before the system is fully engaged. You can't simply switch it randomly into what you assume is the right position. Once you know these systems work, you'll get it right every time thereafter.

the operative word is "gently";)

I will bear your advice in mind also and report back. Many thanks for taking the time to respond.

I have not got my reverse to work at all ??? I am thinking, did I leave the side stand down when I tried to back it out of my garage, that might be what was wrong ??? Is the side stand an issue with this bike ???

Back