Reverse Gear

I've looked at other threads on this topic, but haven't seen this aspect.

For context, my R18 is an FE with <3000Kms.

From new, it's been hard to get in and out of reverse gear - to solve it involves rocking the bike back & forth and continuing to push or lift the lever.

I was hoping that it would become easier with time - but that doesn't seem to be happening.

I don't use it often (maybe that's the problem), but I do like things I pay for, to work.

Anyone else seeing this?
TIA

My lever goes in easy but after reversing can sometimes be tight to release, so I rock the bike back & forth a little. I think it’s more noticeable if used on a slight incline. It doesn’t concern me.

I really like my wunderlict lever.... a lot more intuitive to use..... might seem to be off topic.... but.... because you can look down and see it.... and you lift it to engage.... it seems to work better.... maybe I'm better at lifting (lever) and wobbling (bike) at the same time.... then trying to find that thing hidden down there.... not knowing what way to flick it.... and wobbling.... maybe I'm a 2 things at a time kinda guy.... not 3 things..... 2021FE with 2,500ks

20230528_160921-01~2.jpeg

I use my Reverse Gear after every ride, as I have to back my bike into the garage which is slightly uphill and then it transitions slightly downhill; I rock my bike slightly forward (pushing it now uphill) and quickly squeeze the front brake to hold the bike and to release any tension on the Reverse gear.

If I don't remove the weight of the bike in the form of tension on the reverse gear, it's basically going to be stuck in Reverse... the trick is to remove the tension or the weight of the bike on the Reverse Gear.

I find if you wait a minute, it will pop right out. It has a lot of reduction for the motor, so it will release the tension if you just wait.

This is with the brake on.

Also, if I back down a ramp and the bike goes too fast, it poops out. Shuts down reverse with a flashing R . The only thing to do is take it out of reverse and put it back in. So I brake as I go down the ramp to my trailer backwards in reverse.

David

On my bagger, engaging reverse gear can be finicky. Yes, rocking the bike will get it going. One other thing that happens to me is sometimes, if I let go of the starter button and press it again, the bike won’t reverse. The reverse lever is still engaged, meaning I reversed, didn’t move the lever, stoped the bike, pressed the starter to reverse some more and, sometimes it won’t reverse again. I need to shut the bike off and then it works.

On my bagger, engaging reverse gear can be finicky. Yes, rocking the bike will get it going. One other thing that happens to me is sometimes, if I let go of the starter button and press it again, the bike won’t reverse. The reverse lever is still engaged, meaning I reversed, didn’t move the lever, stoped the bike, pressed the starter to reverse some more and, sometimes it won’t reverse again. I need to shut the bike off and then it works.
Perhaps the Reverse function is inhibited due to overheating?

From new, it's been hard to get in and out of reverse gear - to solve it involves rocking the bike back & forth and continuing to push or lift the lever.

I was hoping that it would become easier with time - but that doesn't seem to be happening.

I don't use it often (maybe that's the problem), but I do like things I pay for, to work.

Anyone else seeing this?
TIA

Anyone else seeing this?
TIA
Hi i had the same problem on my 2022 Classic , i found you do not "push" the lever all the way in one go , just ease it down till it stops then push it it into position and the R should come on the speedo .

Hi i had the same problem on my 2022 Classic , i found you do not "push" the lever all the way in one go , just ease it down till it stops then push it it into position and the R should come on the speedo .

T
Thanks for the tip - I'll give that a try next time I take the bike out.

It appears that this "issue" varies from bike to bike and is circumstance specific.

I guess that means it's a trial & error process, for each of us, to find a remedy - That doesn't sound like the precision engineering I'm accustomed to from BMW.

That said - it REALLY is a 1st world problem - "The reverse gear is a bit fiddly on my otherwise awesome (weekend princess) motorcycle" - BOO HOO to me :)

Thanks for your responses.

There's no synchromesh on the reverse gear; You have to ensure the gears are fully engaged/disengaged when using.

For example, when disengaging, you need to ensure the bike's weight isn't resting on the reverse gear sprocket when trying to disengage. In this event, roll the bike in the opposite direction the weight is coming from (i.e., if the bike's on a slight downhill, you'll need to muscle the bike slightly uphill to relieve tension on the reverse sprockets.)

Another thought (as I'm typing this...), you should be able to pull the clutch in WHILE running the reverse gear to relieve tension on the reverse sprockets...

...I'll try that theory out on Alcina tomorrow, unless someone already knows the answer before then.

Mike

There's no synchromesh on the reverse gear; You have to ensure the gears are fully engaged/disengaged when using.

For example, when disengaging, you need to ensure the bike's weight isn't resting on the reverse gear sprocket when trying to disengage. In this event, roll the bike in the opposite direction the weight is coming from (i.e., if the bike's on a slight downhill, you'll need to muscle the bike slightly uphill to relieve tension on the reverse sprockets.)

Another thought (as I'm typing this...), you should be able to pull the clutch in WHILE running the reverse gear to relieve tension on the reverse sprockets...

...I'll try that theory out on Alcina tomorrow, unless someone already knows the answer before then.

Mike
Keehn ... I pull my clutch every time i use my reverse (although only to get her out of the wheel chock) it is just a reflex .. it doesn't seem to matter to the neutral lock that the lever provides .. taking the pressure off (as you stated) seems to be the key ... not leaning up against the stop makes mine engage and disengage very easily.

Clutch has nothing to do with reverse.

Pulling it will do nothing

David
Clutch disengages the transmission from the final drive.

Reverse gear is in transmission.

Hence, clutch WILL disengage reverse from final drive.

Mike

Back