Setting the proper preload for the rear suspension

Well since I’m an XXL Body I adjusted my preload 11 turns. What a smoother ride; my back isn’t jolted when I his a bump; thanks for the workaround!

Regarding the foot pegs - I haven’t looked but the rider pegs on my R1200C were spring loaded and the bottom end was beveled. I had pushed the speed and lean (on a particular exit ramp off 101 in to Novato, CA) that both of my foot pegs were scuffed up!

I know the pegs on the R-18 are spring loaded; I need to check if they are beveled like the 1200C.

I know the pegs on the R-18 are spring loaded; I need to check if they are beveled like the 1200C.
The R18 have replaceable “Rub Nuts” on the bottoms of the pegs, the R1200C doesn’t have these. Both bikes are spring loaded so as not to dig in and cause a loss of control.

Mine was set on 0 which corresponds to my weight plus riding equipment.
I tried 1 and 2 and it was too stiff !
But together with my sweet heart, the manual chart gives around 12 turns and it was really uncomfortable, we ended with only 5 turns.
Of course I was riding gently, but I wonder about this chart !!!

A number of You Tube reviews complained about the harsh ride but I find it very comfortable even going over our speed humps. Maybe its set up for big 'uns as I weigh 110kg. Maybe BMW UK set it up properly - will check.

R

A number of You Tube reviews complained about the harsh ride but I find it very comfortable even going over our speed humps. Maybe its set up for big 'uns as I weigh 110kg. Maybe BMW UK set it up properly - will check.

R
I'm just back from a 40 km ride with the new adjustment, and WITH my sweet heart.
The feeling is completely different !
She didn't complain !
😉
I'm on the big'uns side too...🙄

Last edited:
I have "played" with my rear suspension adjustment. At 210 pounds, I'm pretty sure mine is at 4 turns out for a decent ride. And, with 800 miles on it so far, the R18's ride quality has also become a bit more compliant on it's own. The seat's still HARD, but the overall ride only punishes my bum when I hit a sharp edged bump.
I've talked with the gents at my local dealership and let them know that my R18 had the shock in the "shipping" setting and that they might want to make adjustments to the "test ride bikes" and customer's bikes before handing them over. It can only improve sales and make for happier customers.

Yesterday I took a fun ride through local twisty roads and, while taking a sweeping right hander, was suddenly surprised to solidly "ground" the footpeg. First time since buying the R18 and I'm sure it won't be the last. I'm still getting used to riding a "lightweight" machine with greater sportbike-like capabilities than the big touring machine that's parked next to it. There was a time when I rode only sportbikes and was even able to use them almost to their potential. The days of knees skimming the tarmac are gone for me, but I may have to get back into the habit of shifting more body weight to the inside of the turns. :rolleyes:

Most manufacturers print a "prep sheet" for each model. It would detail exactly what should be done at the dealership in the process of removing a bike from the crate and preparing it for delivery. It the engine comes empty, the instructions will say to add oil. If the handlebars are packed on the bottom of the crate, it will detail how they should be installed onto the bike. Fluid level checks, tire pressures, etc. When I worked at a Kawasaki/Suzuki dealership, we went so far as to also setup the clutch, brake and shift levers to suit the individual rider's proportions and preferences. Before the new owner rode off we always told him to take the time to actually read the owner's manual.
I would bet a fair sum that BMW failed to include instructions detailing proper setting of the rear suspension in the prep sheet.
It should also be noted that some (not all) dealerships have folks that uncrate and "prep" the bikes for delivery, saving the more experienced/talented techs for the "real shopwork". Presumably those new guys will eventually learn more and graduate to the work that requires more knowledge and experience. That doesn't excuse a lack of proper preparation, but perhaps if we all politely inform the service manager of the things that can be corrected, they will be.
That's what I did. In an effort to not embarass anyone, I asked to speak to the service manager off to the side and informed him about setting the suspension after the bike is uncrated. He thanked me for the heads-up.

Hi all, new R18 owner here from San Diego, CA; been lurking for a few days and signed up today.

This thread is extremely useful. I just reached this conclusion over the weekend after having gone through the manual. Like most others on here, my bike also had the 'shipping' setting for the rear suspension. Adjusted it according to my weight and it is significantly better. I hurt my back the first evening riding it and was extremely disappointed - to the point to considering reversing my trade (if such a thing were possible). Happy now, loving it (except the seat).

Cheers!

Hi all, new R18 owner here from San Diego, CA; been lurking for a few days and signed up today.

This thread is extremely useful. I just reached this conclusion over the weekend after having gone through the manual. Like most others on here, my bike also had the 'shipping' setting for the rear suspension. Adjusted it according to my weight and it is significantly better. I hurt my back the first evening riding it and was extremely disappointed - to the point to considering reversing my trade (if such a thing were possible). Happy now, loving it (except the seat).

Cheers!
Welcome!!! Just wait for seat options

Cheers!
Welcome, post often with lots of pictures.

Cheers!
This is why God made Corbin Seats.

Well since I’m an XXL Body I adjusted my preload 11 turns. What a smoother ride; my back isn’t jolted when I his a bump; thanks for the workaround!

Regarding the foot pegs - I haven’t looked but the rider pegs on my R1200C were spring loaded and the bottom end was beveled. I had pushed the speed and lean (on a particular exit ramp off 101 in to Novato, CA) that both of my foot pegs were scuffed up!

wow ..11 turns ... I am 100 kg (well...approx) and on the demo bike that came to me with "shipping" suspension setting and made for a terribly jarring ride; I went up to 5 turns ... did improve but not enough I thought. Eager to know if this will ever manage to accommodate a pillion in comfort though .....

Back