Smoke on start up

hdas9

Hi All,
Been a member for a while, so thought I’d introduce myself.
Ive had bikes for nearly forty years, albeit with a couple of gaps. There have been many ( mainly road bikes) sports / roadsters etc.

The latest is a R18 FE - which will randomly smoke (a lot) from the left cylinder on start up. Hence the title.
I’ve read some of the other posts on this, and can relate to the fogging! also noted the replacement piston scenario. I wonder, will the original rings be used? Is the piston /ring design / specification / tolerances altered?from OE. Indeed, does anyone know, are the left / right pistons slightly different, given the flat engine layout / stand situation? Or is there another means of preventing the oil from collecting where it shouldn’t be?

The local Motorrad dealer now have the bike and have loaned me an R18FE, so they’re definitely looking after me. No news as yet, but it’s only been a few days and they did say it could be a while.

Welcome to the forum, sorry you got a smoker. I don’t have that problem nor any knowledge to help I am sure others will provide some.

Hi All,
Ive had bikes for nearly forty years, albeit with a couple of gaps. There have been many ( mainly road bikes) sports / roadsters etc.

The latest is a R18 FE - which will randomly smoke (a lot) from the left cylinder on start up. Hence the title.
I’ve read some of the other posts on this, and can relate to the fogging! also noted the replacement piston scenario. I wonder, will the original rings be used? Is the piston /ring design / specification / tolerances altered?from OE. Indeed, does anyone know, are the left / right pistons slightly different, given the flat engine layout / stand situation? Or is there another means of preventing the oil from collecting where it shouldn’t be?

The local Motorrad dealer now have the bike and have loaned me an R18FE, so they’re definitely looking after me. No news as yet, but it’s only been a few days and they did say it could be a while.
I will mention that I like to turn the engine off after a ride, then tilt the bike to the right for 10 seconds or so to give the oil a chance to drain away from the left side. I also ran my bike in with heavy loads (although not high rpm)

I don't claim to know anything important, and that may all just be pseudo science

Hi all
An update - the Motorrad dealer has changed the left piston assembly, so rings and gudgeon pin too.
only been out twice since, but no smoke !

Regarding the number of cases, it should be useful to know the reason why the left piston fails on almost brand new engines .....:rolleyes:

I did ask some obvious questions regarding sizes / tolerances / ring detail / materials but wasn’t surprised by the ‘no information given by Bmw’ reply.
As always, the dealer staff were top notch.
Ill give the engine a couple of hundred miles to bed back in, then maybe look to get the oil changed - new parts mating together and with the (dis)assembly, in my mind it has to be worth it.

Oil Level could be a concern. Mine had the smoke prob as well . Oil level was set above the window level by the dealer at the 1000km maintenance , then i had to come back few hundred miles after for the pump wine issue . They played with the throttle quite a bit in the workshop to listen to the new exhaust sound and suddenlly completely fogged the whole shop ! oil over pressure ?
I noticed when i got the bike new the oil level was very low in the window and no issue then .

I've had the smoke problem a few times on my R1200C Montauk.
But it was a matter of 30 second smoke, no piston issue.
It was after having the bike unused for a while, and resting on the side stand.
It doesn't happen anymore since I keep it on front wheels stand.
I do the same for the R18.

Hi you should not have a smoker. But a easy fix solution is I have a condor wheel chock I drive my goldwing into keeps engine level and super easy to clean and do maintenance
Jp cycles. $250.00. Handy piece of equipment

Hi All,

Well, I am having the piston and ring replaced this winter. I am just riding the bike. It’s not a super big deal. I used to ride airheads and you’d get some seep. It’s a big motor though and it’s a lot of seep. I’m getting less and less incidence which means it’s seating better probably. It’s nothing to worry about but BMW is replacing the pistons.

I have a theory all these bikes have sat for a long time. I pulled my battery the other day and there was what looked to me like storage grime all over the terminals.

Anyway, airheads do that. Giant airheads, if not built better can do it a lot. My new piston and ring is ordered and it doesn’t affect the bike

Regarding the number of cases, it should be useful to know the reason why the left piston fails on almost brand new engines .....:rolleyes:
I’m pretty sure this is not a piston failure. It is an issue where oil is seeping behind when the motor is on its side. IIf it wouldn’t have been soooo much smoke I would’ve remembered my airhead days sooner.

But. The new piston is a thing and I’m getting one.

After a ride of 30 miles today and whilst the bike was upright, ie not on the side stand my R18FE started to emit thick blue smoke from the left hand exhaust. After calling the BM dealer they told me to continue riding for another 10 miles to see if it cleared, it did clear eventually. The dealer then told me to “monitor it”….. not happy to say the least, smoke and mirrors spring to mind….

Some older model BMWs, if parked on the side stand on some ground leaning left oil would seep into the cylinder and smoke upon startup. Is there any chance you parked on some ground with a left lean?

Thanks Phil, I will do that. Its recently just had its first service!
Cheers BMWryder9, this smoke screen happened after I had done a 30mile trip, the bike hadn’t been stood on its side stand or been idling. It is a bit concerning, I have had Bm’s in one shape or another for over 30 years and never had this happen before. Its under warranty and if it goes bang it‘s over to the dealer!

Thanks Phil, I will do that. Its recently just had its first service!
Cheers BMWryder9, this smoke screen happened after I had done a 30mile trip, the bike hadn’t been stood on its side stand or been idling. It is a bit concerning, I have had Bm’s in one shape or another for over 30 years and never had this happen before. Its under warranty and if it goes bang it‘s over to the dealer!
Hi
I had this problem with mine at the beginning of may. I had the bike towed to the nearest deal, they had it for a week and said they could find nothing wrong, I told them it only happened after a decent ride out.
so I picked the bike up rode it home and put it in the garage on the side stand.
I went back to the bike the next day with phone in hand and videos the start up. And there it was blue smoke from the left hand exhaust.
I sent hids to the dealer who sent it to Bmw.
My bike is now in the garage awaiting the delivery of a new design piston and rings

Hi
I had this problem with mine at the beginning of may. I had the bike towed to the nearest deal, they had it for a week and said they could find nothing wrong, I told them it only happened after a decent ride out.
so I picked the bike up rode it home and put it in the garage on the side stand.
I went back to the bike the next day with phone in hand and videos the start up. And there it was blue smoke from the left hand exhaust.
I sent hids to the dealer who sent it to Bmw.
My bike is now in the garage awaiting the delivery of a new design piston and rings
That's a pain in the arsenal, but she should be fine with the upgraded parts. Just curious as to your bike's build date?

Back