Steering Damper, To Have or Not to Have?

I think a damper is used to ad stability but more importantly to help the rider with steering. Some bikes may get away without one because the steering may not be heavy/difficult but in the case of my B for example, the steering is a bit on the heavy side due to the batwing adding an extra 50 pounds of weight to the steering column and also the aerodynamics at speed may have been a factor which contributed to the decision to add a damper. If it is there I think there is a good reason for it. That you may get away without one? That is a different story.

Last edited:
Yes, better to have than not. I just wonder how powerful a spring, if that is what is inside, they put in the steering damper. At any rate, I vote for the one I had on my /5 bmw :) Nothing rocks better then an old fashion knob you can turn to increase friction level rate lol. My my the good old days...

I removed mine on my base r18 and have yet to notice any difference. I removed it to add the fork covers I got off ebay that didn't have the cut outs for a steering dampner. If I had a b or tc I personally would not remove it because of the big fairing sitting on the forks, but on a base r18 like I have, especially if not using a ws, I see no need for it so far. Maybe if I had a passenger that was very heavy it might be helpful, dunno🤔

My Classic FE came with Cruise and the damper. I have a sneaking suspicion the damper is really there for the windscreen which may shed aerodynamic loads unevenly, creating divergent or uncommanded steering inputs. Just my two cents worth.

Back