Suspension Question

Might be a non starter, but the only thing that has kept me from committing to the FE is the harsh rear ride . Now I read that the new 2022 Transcontinental and Bagger come with dynamic suspension …. That’s a game changer . Trouble is I like the clean lines of the FE am not into computer screens and music systems on the motorcycle, nor for that matter, the huge fairing. So question is, could the Dynamic Suspension be fitted on the FE or has the chassis changed with the TC and Bagger

Make sure the suspension is properly adjusted before you close the book on it. I think a great deal of the press people that write about the suspension had the wrong set up. I know for sure mine has the wrong set up when I test drove it and bought it. Once I adjusted it, it was like a bran new bike and boy was I smiling like an idiot. I have also seen some different staged suspensions out there for the r18.

Might be a non starter, but the only thing that has kept me from committing to the FE is the harsh rear ride . Now I read that the new 2022 Transcontinental and Bagger come with dynamic suspension …. That’s a game changer . Trouble is I like the clean lines of the FE am not into computer screens and music systems on the motorcycle, nor for that matter, the huge fairing. So question is, could the Dynamic Suspension be fitted on the FE or has the chassis changed with the TC and Bagger
Wrong!!! The suspension is not an issue with the R18, in fact, comparing with HD Softail, the R18 is "softer". The problem usually is about pre load configuration, that the dealer doesn't adjust properly before giving the bike to the client. Having said that, the R18 (yes) has a comfort problem with the stock seat, that's a fact, solved with changing it for any Mustang or Corbin seat. Personally I don't like the front of the B nor the T, but is just me. If I had to choose again, I would go (again) for the R18.

Make sure the suspension is properly adjusted before you close the book on it. I think a great deal of the press people that write about the suspension had the wrong set up. I know for sure mine has the wrong set up when I test drove it and bought it. Once I adjusted it, it was like a bran new bike and boy was I smiling like an idiot. I have also seen some different staged suspensions out there for the r18.
Agreed. I rode a couple Harleys and the R18 back to back and the BMW is not lacking. My dealer set up the suspension on their demo bikes though, which makes all the difference.

Once dialed in, the suspension in the FE is totally acceptable. I'm guessing that whatever you rode wasn't set up properly, or even set up at all. Maybe give it another go and set it yourself?
If you must have the dynamic suspension, heck, it'd be pretty cool to deconstruct a TC by ridding it of the fairing and such. I'd say that it wouldn't be too difficult to sell what you remove, but not sure about the market in Mumbai.

There’s a chart on the preload in a different thread. Have the dealer move the preload adjuster all the way counter clockwise. Then 8 to 12 full turns clockwise. Then ride, The Tall Seat or Day Rider makes a huge difference in conjunction with the preload.

Is that the Wunderlich Fairing? Your thoughts Would be appreciated. I just want something to hide behind into the wind or over 80 Mph
Yes it is. Cuts the wind nicely (in comparison to naked that is). Noticeable difference for sure. I’ve only ever ridden naked bikes so it is night and day for me at least. They do have a larger windshield for it as well that I’m curious about. I’m putting lower wind deflectors from Memphis shades tomorrow (thanks to r2k’s advice).

Yes it is. Cuts the wind nicely (in comparison to naked that is). Noticeable difference for sure. I’ve only ever ridden naked bikes so it is night and day for me at least. They do have a larger windshield for it as well that I’m curious about. I’m putting lower wind deflectors from Memphis shades tomorrow (thanks to r2k’s advice).
That’s what I’m looking for. Thanks!

Hi Urgefree - sorry for my late reply. I have fallen in love with the R18 from the get go. In fact one of the admins on this forum was kind enough to explain that snafu of a lot of initial R18 test bikes - being given to potential customers with "shipping" settings on the rear shocks ... sure enough that was true on my test ride . I called for it back and was permitted to fiddle with the rear shock to adjust. I went only up to 5 on the settings - I know there are 21 settings so to be honest there is always that niggling feeling that maybe at 10 or 15 I may have the dampning I want. But I have to call for the bike again and request dealer to let me fool around with the settings for the day. So there is still a sliver of hope. The problem is not the bike the problem is where I live - Bombay, India. We may arguably have the worlds most annoying roads to ride on. Rumbles, undulations and bumps galore. Dont get me wrong - I love the R18 - its not just a bike, its art :) There was some talk of a "heritage" seat - spring setup like the classics of the 50's were ones butt was suspended above the frame curtesy of 2 springs. But BMW has not as yet responded to when that rig would be available and then I got caught up in some other stuff and did not pursue. Spoke to a few aftermarket companies too like Wilbur etc . One of them said to ship the shock to them and they would change the Spring etc ... but thats a majorly costly affair for me from India to US shipping and then the headache of getting it back through Indian customs etc .... I have not entirely closed the book on the R18 ... one simply can't ;-) its too beautiful

Wrong!!! The suspension is not an issue with the R18, in fact, comparing with HD Softail, the R18 is "softer". The problem usually is about pre load configuration, that the dealer doesn't adjust properly before giving the bike to the client. Having said that, the R18 (yes) has a comfort problem with the stock seat, that's a fact, solved with changing it for any Mustang or Corbin seat. Personally I don't like the front of the B nor the T, but is just me. If I had to choose again, I would go (again) for the R18.
Hi Luis
Yes I agree ... the stock seat is perhaps the most uncomfortable bike seat on earth. I think there are bicycle seats more comfortable. My more detailed answer is above in the reply to Urgefree - so I won't repeat, but I was concerned if i softened the pre load too much I may have a bottoming out issue on the bumps. Thats why I kept only to 5 or 6 if memory serves me right, on the test ride. I wanted to explore the rest of the settings but time was short that day . The B and T seem to have changed the chassis a bit - less rake and so perhaps more manoeuvrable. But I am not a Faring and music system type of person so I too would still look only at the FE

Agreed. I rode a couple Harleys and the R18 back to back and the BMW is not lacking. My dealer set up the suspension on their demo bikes though, which makes all the difference.
Hi PistolPeteSTL ... I agree with the Harley comparison. Had a Heritage Softail . Never ever was able to reconcile with the suspension in my riding conditions. Beat the stuffing out of my back./ What was worse Is I spent a bit and got this lovely bit of aftermarket kit called the "shotguns" . Gas shocks. Electronically adjustable. Great stuff and good folk at the company too. Because of those shocks i was able to keep the Heritage for a year ... eventually even those could not compensate enough and I had to reluctantly let the Heritage go. I think that If they only had put in the DeSA (Dynamic Electronic suspension) of the GS (well not exactly the same but principally the same) they could have had me at the get go. If they even offered it as a fitting I would go with the FE R18 with a dynamic rear suspension. To date, over the past 15 years (since I returned to biking) the only bike that has not irritated my lower back problem has been the GS with DeSa. Sold the Gs before the 2nd lockdown and am not looking to return to that format as my first and permanent love is the Cruiser. And one more thing ... the V Twin format in my 35 degree c heat conditions is quite brutal. That is why the 1800 cc boxer really is my number one choice for cruiser format

Back