to seat or not to

Not all people are preoccupied with sex appeal. Over 60% of adult Americans are noticeably obese. We are a fat nation. It’s obvious at Walmart.
Yes they are... preoccupied with sex appeal, otherwise they wouldn't be preoccupied with sex.
My post was written in good humour , so you don't have to take it so seriously.
Most fat ladies are kinkier than the good looking ones. Believe me!

The stock seat is horrible. I replaced mine in my first week with the bike with the Weekender. The width is what really helps. It can also split to be solo seat or pillion. The pillion also has much more padding than stock. Most say a Russell Day Long will be the most comfortable, but I think it ruins the look of the bike. For me, the Weekender hits the balance right, it’s not so huge that it looks bad on the bike, but much more comfortable than the stock seat.
The stock seat is not the problem in my opinion. After replacing the rear shock with a customized one from Wilbers, my R18 rides close to the comfort of a GS. 3 hours in the original saddle is not a problem anymore. A few other friends did the same to their R18 and are as happy as I am now. I also find that from an aesthetic standpoint, the stock seat looks the best on the R18. Cheers from Japan.

The stock seat is not the problem in my opinion. After replacing the rear shock with a customized one from Wilbers, my R18 rides close to the comfort of a GS. 3 hours in the original saddle is not a problem anymore. A few other friends did the same to their R18 and are as happy as I am now. I also find that from an aesthetic standpoint, the stock seat looks the best on the R18. Cheers from Japan.
Several neglected to set the preload correctly on the stock suspension resulting in a very harsh feeling bike. My issue with the stock seat wasn’t harshness of the suspension, but rather the narrow seat creates pressure points due to lack of support. I’m 6’4”, so my frame is larger. A smaller rider may find the stock seat perfectly fine. My other bikes have wider seats stock, so I hadn’t felt the need to replace them.

Before I even rode my bike for the first miles I set the preload to my riding weight. I’d encourage everyone to do this before any replacement suspension or seat change. It’s very possible that what some may interpret as a “hard” seat is actually incorrectly set preload. Another bonus of setting the preload correctly is the bike can handle very well without scraping pegs… easily 20-30MPH over limit in the twisty roads.

But I wouldn’t expect miracles. It’s still only 3.5” of rear travel. While replacement shock could have softer damping (stock is quite firm), it won’t compete with the 8.7” of rear travel on my GSA. I have the ESA on that bike & moving it to a softer damping is noticeable, so a Wilburs with softer damping can benefit the R18, but physics will still limit how 250 pounds more weight has to be damped with 5.2” less travel than a GSA.

Hi all,

I recently got my R18 and love it so far but,... :)

The standard seat isn't that comfy after 1-1,5 hours of drive and to be honest, I do not like the look of it.

What are the options for new seats? I have been looking around and really like the Wunderlich Rockbob saddle but is it comfy?

I like a one-seater with the option to put the second seat in case my wife wants to join.

Any ideas? and if you have a great seat, feel free to post with a pîc :)
OK... no motorcycle comes with a comfy stock seat, so for once BMW put a cool looking seat on their heritage bike and said "just buy another seat." :)

The stock seat caused me some genuine discomofort. So I bought the weekender. It softened the ride and didnt muck with the aesthetics too bad (and I bought the bike for the aesthetics.) I only ride solo so I added the wunderlich solo luggage rack to complete a true retro BMW look.

OK... no motorcycle comes with a comfy stock seat, so for once BMW put a cool looking seat on their heritage bike and said "just buy another seat." :)

The stock seat caused me some genuine discomofort. So I bought the weekender. It softened the ride and didnt muck with the aesthetics too bad (and I bought the bike for the aesthetics.) I only ride solo so I added the wunderlich solo luggage rack to complete a true retro BMW look.
How about a picture of your bike equipped as you describe. Does it look like the picture on the Wunderlich website?
12E800A7-C351-4A00-8FB6-8C92DB43D44B.jpeg

Several neglected to set the preload correctly on the stock suspension resulting in a very harsh feeling bike. My issue with the stock seat wasn’t harshness of the suspension, but rather the narrow seat creates pressure points due to lack of support. I’m 6’4”, so my frame is larger. A smaller rider may find the stock seat perfectly fine. My other bikes have wider seats stock, so I hadn’t felt the need to replace them.

Before I even rode my bike for the first miles I set the preload to my riding weight. I’d encourage everyone to do this before any replacement suspension or seat change. It’s very possible that what some may interpret as a “hard” seat is actually incorrectly set preload. Another bonus of setting the preload correctly is the bike can handle very well without scraping pegs… easily 20-30MPH over limit in the twisty roads.

But I wouldn’t expect miracles. It’s still only 3.5” of rear travel. While replacement shock could have softer damping (stock is quite firm), it won’t compete with the 8.7” of rear travel on my GSA. I have the ESA on that bike & moving it to a softer damping is noticeable, so a Wilburs with softer damping can benefit the R18, but physics will still limit how 250 pounds more weight has to be damped with 5.2” less travel than a GSA.
You made some valuable points. In the end, it’s all subjective anyway. I am “only” 5’8” and for me the stock seats works well in combination with the new Wilbers shock, which btw, I ordered 2cm higher. That brings a bit more suspension travel and in consequence also a bit more felt ground clearance. The first few months of ownership, I rode the bike with the original shock and the correct preload according to my weight (80kg). The scraping of the footpegs comes also now a bit later with the Wilbers 640.

You made some valuable points. In the end, it’s all subjective anyway. I am “only” 5’8” and for me the stock seats works well in combination with the new Wilbers shock, which btw, I ordered 2cm higher. That brings a bit more suspension travel and in consequence also a bit more felt ground clearance. The first few months of ownership, I rode the bike with the original shock and the correct preload according to my weight (80kg). The scraping of the footpegs comes also now a bit later with the Wilbers 640.
Did you install the Wilber’s Shock yourself or had it professionally install. If you did it was it difficult?

Did you install the Wilber’s Shock yourself or had it professionally install. If you did it was it difficult?
It can be done in 30min with the right tools. It’s an easy job. However, my dealer did it for me almost for free. I ordered the shock with the 20mm higher option and I was a bit concerned to exchange myself. It worked out very well. It’s really day and night. For a bit lighter people like me, the stock spring was too hard. Wilbers offers customized solutions according to your riding habits and your exact weight.

It can be done in 30min with the right tools. It’s an easy job. However, my dealer did it for me almost for free. I ordered the shock with the 20mm higher option and I was a bit concerned to exchange myself. It worked out very well. It’s really day and night. For a bit lighter people like me, the stock spring was too hard. Wilbers offers customized solutions according to your riding habits and your exact weight.
I called and placed my order, looks like it will take the better part of a month for it to be delivered

I saw a post here about the wunderlich bobber saddle with springs looks old school yet far more comfortable looking than the hommage but I can’t find any on line reviews yet!

Fwiw.... I'm researching seats right now for my FE "pure"..... and .... boy.... it is near impossible!

1. No one defines comfort.... for me it is hip/knee angle.... not bum support/comfort (as an example)
2. Time to issue is 't defined.... for me with low stock seat it is mostly immediate to 15 minutes
3. Look of the seat on the bike.... models with panniers seem to work better with whale seats
4. Seat height rarely mentioned... and ... it's more about seat to pegs for me.... only little people need to care on such a low bike about seat to ground....
5. No one seems to state their size and weight.... nothing can be reasoned without that....
6. We need a photo from the side of people on their bikes....
7. Few report back after a month on how it is going.....

Ok.... I'll stop my whinge there.....

Fwiw.... I'm researching seats right now for my FE "pure"..... and .... boy.... it is near impossible!

1. No one defines comfort.... for me it is hip/knee angle.... not bum support/comfort (as an example)
2. Time to issue is 't defined.... for me with low stock seat it is mostly immediate to 15 minutes
3. Look of the seat on the bike.... models with panniers seem to work better with whale seats
4. Seat height rarely mentioned... and ... it's more about seat to pegs for me.... only little people need to care on such a low bike about seat to ground....
5. No one seems to state their size and weight.... nothing can be reasoned without that....
6. We need a photo from the side of people on their bikes....
7. Few report back after a month on how it is going.....

Ok.... I'll stop my whinge there.....
You nailed the issues on most any bike.

1) For me hip angle is worst. Although stock seat on my Classic was not wide enough support also.

2) Stock seat was 45 minutes for me. The Classic stock seat is a “high” seat compared to the Pure, so my hip angle was slightly better on the Classic. The first thing to bug me on stock seat was literal butt pain as it isn’t wide enough to support you and creates pressure points on the outside edges of the seat

3) I like the look of the stock seat, but I’d rather ride than look st a seat. The Weekender was to my eye the best compromise. More support than the stock seat, still can use solo and loose pillion. The Cross Country is slightly wider and an even taller pillion. Similar for Corbin or Russell. I never ride with a pillion and those seats look like they are sitting on the bike vs being part of the bike.

4) The R18 is basically on the ground compared to my other bikes. Seat height only really matters for when you are stopped and need your feet down. My GSA with the seat in high position is 36” seat height but still flat foot st lights. It’s the arch angle that affects this more. The wider you need to spread around the bike, the lower seat height you need given your own height.

5) I’m 6’4” 250lbs, so cruisers haven’t typically been the bike I gravitate toward. I’ve had 3 GSs and still own one.

6) sorry no photos on bike

7) I’ve had the Weekender on my Classic since December 2021. I feel it is a dramatic improvement over the stock arrangement. Much better seat comfort and support. The height is similar to the stock Classic seat, so hip angle is slightly off from what I’d prefer. My knees are slightly taller than my hips when riding, so after a couple hours there is some tightness in my hip. But I generally like to stop and stretch after 2 hours anyway, so it’s not a killer. With an Airhawk added, I get another inch of height which improves it further. I can ride all day with my normal break every couple hours with the Weekender. The stock seat I needed to stop every 30-45 minutes and couldn’t do more than 2 hours a day.

I upgraded to wunderlich saddle on my classic. I love the look only 200 km on new saddle definitely more comfortable than stock.

I wouldn’t say it is a 5 minute switch over per the wunderlich youtube video but the springs certainly give it alot of compliance on bumps but no noticeable sag on acceleration. Weird i bought the black springs too which measure 4 inch vs 3 inch on the chrome. The 3 inch sits flat with the black 4 inch small tip forward.

The seat is 13 inches wide across the back before the seat tips up and is 12 inches front to back of flat part of seat.

I am 5’7 with a 31 inseam and my feet are flat to ground even with low shoes. The riding position is upright and comfortable with my knees at maybe 95 to 105 degrees just beyond right angle.

In this picture the flat part if seat is approximately 29 inches high.

You can move forward and aft on seat but for me with butt just touching the raised part of seat is most comfortable.

One note of caution or weird feeling is when stopped the width of the seat is a bit annoying. When you standup with bith feet planted the inside of thighs press fairly firmly against the seat.F30D4648-D478-4F28-B4EA-FEE219D9217C.jpegD7483ECB-4F88-4350-B2DE-28BB3112A7C0.jpeg

I am 5’7 with a 31 inseam and my feet are flat to ground even with low shoes. The riding position is upright and comfortable with my knees at maybe 95 to 105 degrees just beyond right angle.
Which direction are you measuring the knee angle from? Do you mean your feet are slightly closer to your thigh than a 90 degree bend (95-105degrees from straight) or your legs are slightly more straight? You should be able to adjust this a bit based on placement of your feet on the floorboards.

What is the angle of your upper thighs to the ground, are they parallel, knees slightly higher than hips or knees slightly lower than hips?

I find it more comfortable if my knees are even or below my hips. With my Weekender seat, my knees are slightly higher than my hips, though with an Airhawk, they are even. I'm 6'4", so flat foot isn't an issue for me on the R18 or even on my GS in the high seat position (36" seat height), so a higher seat height actually is more comfortable for me. If this seat is a bit higher than my Weekender, I'd consider swapping it.

Which direction are you measuring the knee angle from? Do you mean your feet are slightly closer to your thigh than a 90 degree bend (95-105degrees from straight) or your legs are slightly more straight? You should be able to adjust this a bit based on placement of your feet on the floorboards.

What is the angle of your upper thighs to the ground, are they parallel, knees slightly higher than hips or knees slightly lower than hips?

I find it more comfortable if my knees are even or below my hips. With my Weekender seat, my knees are slightly higher than my hips, though with an Airhawk, they are even. I'm 6'4", so flat foot isn't an issue for me on the R18 or even on my GS in the high seat position (36" seat height), so a higher seat height actually is more comfortable for me. If this seat is a bit higher than my Weekender, I'd consider swapping it.
Sorry yeah i’m 5’7 and 175lbs and my thighs are approximately parallel to the ground maybe just under so knees and hips essentially even.

My BMW rep is 6’1 when he is sitting on bike his legs are approximately 95 degrees with his hips higher than knees. He didn’t ride it but found it more comfortable than the stock seat on his fwiw.

Ive now ridden it around 500 km and really like it.

Back