Today is the day the R18 died.

Eventual sales will confirm or deny BMW's choice. BMW North America will likely pack them with all the options available which elevates the final price well above base. Reviewing online sales sources like Cycletrader reveals a glimpse of unsold earlier R-18 models and asking price. Not all of course but an example. Dealers have converted some of them to "Demos" to offer favorable and competitive pricing.

I think it looks great and I do understand those that purport it to be a 'knock off' of the real thing however. If Ferrari were perhaps the first supercar, should we say Lamborghini should not have tried to do the same? Ultimately the market will decide if it is a rival or not to the Harley. Personally I think Harley have it sown up as this is a cultural thing. To be a success, US sales are probably required. Americans are so loyal to the Harley brand regardless of where they are now actually made that with the exception of Indian, no other manufacturer has much of a chance. (I know Harley is still assembled in USA but is that about it?).
Having owned a very reliable and lovedHarley for the past eleven years, and following road tests on the 114 I have opted for the R18.

I saw my first Transcontinental at the dealership yesterday. I’m impressed with the look. A little less impressed with all the plastic, but at like #950, I can see how it’s be necessary to try and limit it’s weight. In any case, sitting on it confirmed that it’s just too big for me.

Opinions will vary, but please consider the following: I really liked the R1200RT I bought new in 2009. I really liked the K1600 GTL I bought new in 2018. They were both difficult for an old, fat guy with bum knees and a bad back to get on and off of. The RT had a high center of gravity, and even with reverse was difficult on gravel parking or uneven lots, to say the least. The GTL was difficult to get on and off of, and was heavy enough it was a handful. Both had amazing handling, ride, and storage. And the power ! ! ! I loved twisting the wick on both of them. I'm probably a lot better off without that awesome of a power to weight ratio ! All that being aid-I really love my R18 Classic, but there's not enough storage for rain gear, and all the things I like to have with me on a long(ish) weekend ride of 100-4 or 500 miles. The standard windshield sucks donkey balls compared to the Rt and the GTL, and the aftermarket isn't offering any alternatives, or larger windshields yet like the "barn doors" I had on the other two. The R18 is exceptionally easy to get on and off of, and the center of gravity is very low. This makes it handle very well and easy to manage in gravel parking lots. Power is very adequate, and I love the delivery and feel and the sound of the big boxer-especially the intentional vibrations and shakes ! Very much reminds me of the old airheads I loved so much back in the day, and still do. I have come to terms with the fact that I'm not able to put the miles on like I used to, and this bike is more fun than and WAY better looking than any bike I've had in many years. I even like the looks of it even more than the last several Harleys I have had. It has heart, and soul (like a Harley, or an old Airhead), not like the impersonal rocketships the RT and GTL were. I welcome the new version with the fairing and hard bags. It's just gonna be hard justifying trading up so quick. . . . . . . .but I'll either spend a fortune upgrading my Classic to mimic it, or feel like I'm playing second fiddle. . . . . .BMW played me well on this one ! LOL

I saw my first Transcontinental at the dealership yesterday. I’m impressed with the look. A little less impressed with all the plastic, but at like #950, I can see how it’s be necessary to try and limit it’s weight. In any case, sitting on it confirmed that it’s just too big for me.

Was actually at this performance in Kansas City in the 80s.

Hell, I alternate riding the K1600B , the R1200RT and the E18 to the dialysis center 3 days a week.
I rode the R18 263 miles home the day I bought it with my cane zip tide to the handle bars, wearing a catheter and a piss bag strapped to my leg and temporary dialysis catheters hanging out of the right side of my neck.
Me and the K1600B at the dialysis center119898874_331756907936867_4404603808655094223_n.jpg
At the dealer, note the cane and if you look close you can see the bandage for the dialysis catheter on my right shoulder.R18 with cane..jpeg

263 miles later, 130 miles of rain, sitting in the hangar warming up.121538636_679566079362043_474692319924329698_n.jpg
Cane still on the handlebars.
My plan is to ride to my own funeral.

Last edited:
Back