Tool Box Project-Midway

TodkaVonic

Site Supporter
Elite Member
Hey everyone, even the Hare Krishna guy o_O,

There's a beautifully modified R18 with cream paint and a slick little toolbox tucked amid the left side of the swing arm. This one:

BAD83101-1E6A-4AE4-B9A7-9A33C53FE87E.jpeg

Now that's an attractive build.

Anyway, I've been pondering some sort of similar tool box set up for a few weeks now.

The rules, as with all my modifications are
1) must be reversible. No burning of any bridges. So no welding as was done with the alabaster beauty above.
2) must be clean and as simple as possible. So no clunky attachments or superfluous stuff.
3) must be beautiful. This is largely redundant because of #2 and due to the nature of the subject herself.

Part 1: The Box. The first hurdle was finding an appropriately shaped and sized box. I hunted around and found several options:

Harley
66BF03FA-0C75-4904-BD94-C56ECEA437AC.png

Norton
AF4C6D22-9BE7-4448-92CE-8DE9322828E1.png

Or, from my very own garage, Moto Guzzi
DD1792CA-22C8-4174-AC47-A9BD18F83F23.jpeg

Well, you go with the devil you know, right? I sourced a Guzzi box from a guy named Mark in California.

0EC4641C-FC7A-4347-867A-9D64A60809EA.jpeg

Needs to be painted, but no dents and only a little surface rust. Not bad for $40.

Part 2: Attachment. My initial inclination was to use bar clamps (intended for off-road lighting) to anchor the box to the swing arm itself. I got a couple and tinkered but the bars are weird sizes and it looked less than ideal. The next idea was to utilize the bolts for the rear brake. Yeah, no. The box would stick out too far and it wasn't long enough to not look weird. Hmmm.

I'll cut to the chase, the answer ended up being several pieces of cut and drilled anodized aluminum angle. Yeah. Lowly aluminum angle. I had some extra in the garage and realized that I could place a piece parallel with the bottom of the battery tray extending towards the swing arm. Practiced with some scrap then went to Menards and picked up a proper anodized 4'x 1"x1" piece. Cut to size, trimmed a bit to mirror the space, and drill two holes for the anchor points...

D4D2E4CB-A2B9-499D-B7D1-E82328DAED0A.jpeg

I'm making it sound easier than it was. On the 8th attempt, I got all the cuts and holes just right. :p

To keep the box from colliding with the brake line as the swing arm pivoted required raising it about an inch and shortening the aluminum angle so that it only extended back to the midpoint of the toolbox. At that point another piece of angle extends upward. Not super elegant, BUT it's all hidden behind the box.

100A3390-39E6-4880-904E-295BFF9F359D.jpeg
97C0BBAA-26A5-4BD7-9C07-5A74F6D0988C.jpeg

And with the box...

F9E7E575-81C0-4036-8F40-1F0BC551FF8C.jpeg

Since the box is attached to the frame, there's no forward movement with shock compression so I could snug it up nicely. The various bits of the swing arm aren't hitting any part of any of it with repeated, and repeated, shock compression. It's actually not as close as it looks. And one really needs to hunt around to see any of my ramshackle erector set bracket, so thoughts of buying a piece of black anodized aluminum and redoing it seem unnecessary.

The only "issue" is that the door doesn't open all the way, but there's plenty of room for my tool roll.

[more coming]

Last edited:
Well, I didn't like how close the bottom of the bracket came to the brake line, so modifying.

I decided on an angled approach to the upper tool box mounting hole. The bar would originate forward from the other mounting location and involved some trial and error with cuts. In the end it looked like this

5F3F3704-4CA0-4107-ABCB-8034725EDA5B.jpeg

Installed
E0246F6C-20E4-40B4-8CF4-F26796A8968D.jpeg
4D33E589-CF14-4306-B591-0908BFB477D3.jpeg
22E11116-CBDF-47DD-83F4-7553ADDBB7A7.jpeg

and the box

7E6197F3-B075-404D-9089-1B9DC3D25959.jpeg
F943FF0C-21C1-42E4-A34D-C7E98A734AEE.jpeg
6B78FAFE-88FC-427D-81EC-B40003C373B7.jpeg

Muffler back on...done? I mean aside from having it painted.

48700731-4B7B-4780-AD1E-140F3131C0DD.jpeg

What do ya'll think? Waste of time? It is/was a fun project. Entirely reversible. Clean. I don't know if I'd call it beautiful, but useful, definitely.

Last edited:
Another approach would be to wedge out a side of a stainless (I'm not welding on aluminum and raw steel with the rust, etc...no thank you) angle bar, bend it to close the gap, and weld it back together. one could do that just on the other side of the rear mounting bolt. Something like this

34AB1B29-9E0D-4F7A-8566-20E3C29747D9.png
Then you'd essentially start further from the swing arm.

Well, there's a plan C anyway.

Last edited:
Looks like a fun project. Funny but my eyes went right to the toolbox when I first saw that pic. Gl!

For my use of the r18 my tool box of choice fits in my wallet. That said I am drawn to the idea of a leather fork bag.

Your fab skills are far better than mine. Thanks for posting this. Keep us posted.

Looks like a fun project. Funny but my eyes went right to the toolbox when I first saw that pic. Gl!

For my use of the r18 my tool box of choice fits in my wallet. That said I am drawn to the idea of a leather fork bag.

Your fab skills are far better than mine. Thanks for posting this. Keep us posted.
Hey yeah. A leather fork bag is a great solution. I bought one awhile back for my Guzzi but it turned out to be better suited for the R18. Here are a couple photos:

D0A29A28-BEF5-410C-869D-80F8A9DB8FF5.jpeg
97AA64C4-A84B-42CB-A758-A1151D785884.jpeg

I bought it on Etsy and paid about $100. The seller is "Bad Guy Leather." I upgraded the straps with thicker black leather ones from my saddle bags. The originals were these thin tan straps with gold hardware. Ugh. Since I've worked out another way to carry my tools, I'd be happy to part with it for $60 shipped

/I should probably check that you live in the continental US
//correction, after tax and with the discount it was $118

Last edited:
Hey that's cool. And worth a try thanks. I am in Seattle. What's your PayPal address?

Fwiw I do have my stock wheels. You could pull the hubs and Walzwerk will build you a spoked set.

Btw, the rear fender is 'sick' with the large rear wheel and tire.

Hey that's cool. And worth a try thanks. I am in Seattle. What's your PayPal address?

Fwiw I do have my stock wheels. You could pull the hubs and Walzwerk will build you a spoked set.

Btw, the rear fender is 'sick' with the large rear wheel and tire.
My god, I bet it's amazing! Where are the photos, man?

I am intrigued by the hubs offer, and it's super generous, really. Were it not for the crazy price of WalzWerks rebuilt wheels, I'd take you up on it. And their turnaround isn't exactly ideal either. I mean, when did we order the fender? September? I think I'm content to wait until a less expensive option presents itself.

I'll PM you my PayPal and can ship the bag tomorrow or Tuesday.

Too much ardded to the swing rear swing arm. Adding to the unsprung weight, luggage rack added to the rear swing arm? How do you find a rear shock system designed to handle the addition unsprung weight. Not to mention the constant cocktail shaker, not a good idea, better have solid mount tools.

Well, I didn't like how close the bottom of the bracket came to the brake line, so modifying.

I decided on an angled approach to the upper tool box mounting hole. The bar would originate forward from the other mounting location and involved some trial and error with cuts. In the end it looked like this

View attachment 3615

Installed
View attachment 3616
View attachment 3617
View attachment 3618

and the box

View attachment 3620
View attachment 3621
View attachment 3622

View attachment 3623

What do ya'll think? Waste of time? It is/was a fun project. Entirely reversible. Clean. I don't know if I'd call it beautiful, but useful, definitely.

Too much ardded to the swing rear swing arm. Adding to the unsprung weight, luggage rack added to the rear swing arm? How do you find a rear shock system designed to handle the addition unsprung weight. Not to mention the constant cocktail shaker, not a good idea, better have solid mount tools.

It's not attached to the swing arm. It's attached to one bolt from the underside of the battery compartment and one from the frame. And regardless, we're talking about a couple pounds. Regarding the shaking, again, not attached to the swingarm. In this regard it's actually better that the custom build in the first post.

/regard

Last edited:
It's essentially an extension of the frame sitting amidst the tubes and lines of the swingarm. Among the many design considerations was keeping anything from colliding. That part can be argued because it's unknown. I think I've offset things enough though.

/glad you're chiming in BD. It got a little quiet here lately.

View attachment 3615

Installed
View attachment 3616
View attachment 3617
View attachment 3618

and the box

View attachment 3620
View attachment 3621
View attachment 3622IMG_1248.JPGIMG_1263.JPG

View attachment 3623

You might have problem. The little box will impact the frame upon suspension compression, see photos fully compressed and fully extended, if you have not replaced the shock with a sold bar. Attaching anything to the rear swingers is not a good idea, a Hardtail is a different story. The gray bike you have pictured will self destruct.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, even the Hare Krishna guy o_O,

There's a beautifully modified R18 with cream paint and a slick little toolbox tucked amid the left side of the swing arm. This one:

View attachment 3604

Now that's an attractive build.

Anyway, I've been pondering some sort of similar tool box set up for a few weeks now.

The rules, as with all my modifications are
1) must be reversible. No burning of any bridges. So no welding as was done with the alabaster beauty above.
2) must be clean and as simple as possible. So no clunky attachments or superfluous stuff.
3) must be beautiful. This is largely redundant because of #2 and due to the nature of the subject herself.

Part 1: The Box. The first hurdle was finding an appropriately shaped and sized box. I hunted around and found several options:

Harley
View attachment 3605

Norton
View attachment 3606

Or, from my very own garage, Moto Guzzi
View attachment 3607

Well, you go with the devil you know, right? I sourced a Guzzi box from a guy named Mark in California.

View attachment 3608

Needs to be painted, but no dents and only a little surface rust. Not bad for $40.

Part 2: Attachment. My initial inclination was to use bar clamps (intended for off-road lighting) to anchor the box to the swing arm itself. I got a couple and tinkered but the bars are weird sizes and it looked less than ideal. The next idea was to utilize the bolts for the rear brake. Yeah, no. The box would stick out too far and it wasn't long enough to not look weird. Hmmm.

I'll cut to the chase, the answer ended up being several pieces of cut and drilled anodized aluminum angle. Yeah. Lowly aluminum angle. I had some extra in the garage and realized that I could place a piece parallel with the bottom of the battery tray extending towards the swing arm. Practiced with some scrap then went to Menards and picked up a proper anodized 4'x 1"x1" piece. Cut to size, trimmed a bit to mirror the space, and drill two holes for the anchor points...

View attachment 3611

I'm making it sound easier than it was. On the 8th attempt, I got all the cuts and holes just right. :p

To keep the box from colliding with the brake line as the swing arm pivoted required raising it about an inch and shortening the aluminum angle so that it only extended back to the midpoint of the toolbox. At that point another piece of angle extends upward. Not super elegant, BUT it's all hidden behind the box.

View attachment 3612
View attachment 3614

And with the box...

View attachment 3613

Since the box is attached to the frame, there's no forward movement with shock compression so I could snug it up nicely. The various bits of the swing arm aren't hitting any part of any of it with repeated, and repeated, shock compression. It's actually not as close as it looks. And one really needs to hunt around to see any of my ramshackle erector set bracket, so thoughts of buying a piece of black anodized aluminum and redoing it seem unnecessary.

The only "issue" is that the door doesn't open all the way, but there's plenty of room for my tool roll.

[more coming]
Th swing arm will impact the bottom of your box before you make it around the block.

You might have problem. The little box will impact the fram upon suspension compression, see photos fully compressed and fully extended, if you have not replaced the shock with a sold bar.
Agreed

the question I have is, at maximum compression, what's the angle for the triangle with the blue line?
C00888EC-0216-4512-B828-8B5996A5813B.png
I extended the red line towards the rear. Will the red hit the black? What are the tolerances built in to the design?

It's essentially an extension of the frame sitting amidst the tubes and lines of the swingarm. Among the many design considerations was keeping anything from colliding. That part can be argued because it's unknown. I think I've offset things enough though.

/glad you're chiming in BD. It got a little quiet here lately.
Have you tried removing the rear shock and moved the swing arm through its movement?
I may be wrong but looks like some serious interference to me.

Back