Tool Box Project-Midway

It's more algebra than I'm prepared to tackle
Removing the shock and moving the swing arm through its full movement is the best way to check, 2 bolts and the rear tire, easy when you have the proper setup. Closer look reveals you are mounting it to the frame. Better mount but the same interferences apply, worse is the brake caliper is now a battering ram.

My R18 is parked with a front wheel chock keeping it vertical. I used a ratcheting strap to simulate rear wheel shock compression. At about 2 inches the box hit the solid bend in the brake line and the bracket was touching the lower part of the swing arm.

So it's a no go in it's current configuration. Once my WalzWerks tail gets here (went through customs a week ago...) I'll install that and play around with toolbox options.

My R18 is parked with a front wheel chock keeping it vertical. I used a ratcheting strap to simulate rear wheel shock compression. At about 2 inches the box hit the solid bend in the brake line and the bracket was touching the lower part of the swing arm.

So it's a no go in it's current configuration. Once my WalzWerks tail gets here (went through customs a week ago...) I'll install that and play around with toolbox options.
You are welcome.

Putting the suspension through its range was helpful because I really underestimated how far things moved. But I have some ideas...

Last edited:
At it again.

Ok, it's clear to me that this box cannot fit within the swing arm unless it's attached to the swing arm. The only attachment points are the bolts to the rear caliper and/or using a tube clamp. The box hinges at the bottom (key at top), so directing the top towards the back (best-looking orientation) means I can't even open the box because the muffler is in the way. And it really sticks out there. Attaching it upright to the tubes with at least two clamps (one of my original ideas) is possible, but I can't make it look clean and intended. Not ideal.

So why not put the box outside the swing arm? Hmmmmm. That takes all the issues with the suspension out of the equation. Can I have the hinge on the bottom? Yes. Can I secure the box to the frame. You betcha.

I fashioned a support bracket from a couple pieces of aluminum. Much simpler set up this time. The attachment points are the M12 bolt for the passenger foot peg and the battery tray support. I used a couple threaded spacers to bump the box out past the swing arm. In the end it's about as protuberant as the license plate frame. Here's how it looks:

F0DDE5D8-2324-45B8-B8EF-8117970453DB.jpeg
4C681896-30CF-4620-87F8-D307C54D5225.jpeg
17B15191-01CF-4278-AE40-F5C416FFB5D6.jpeg
CB6643E9-E0BF-4A5C-81CD-774823AE3D06.jpeg
F8A9FA80-3DDB-4992-88E1-D9F9A828303C.jpeg

I'm still waiting for the bobber kit. I'm bit concerned that the relative closeness of the rear fender and smaller saddle will make my box installation a bit too conspicuous.

5953B64A-A856-4DEA-AEF2-87DA5FABBE73.jpeg
B15D7F1D-C422-4343-9497-38887EB1E6FA.jpeg

I want it to blend. 😂 We'll see

/maybe having my painter put pinstripes at the level of the chrome from the battery cover?
//yeah, liking that

Last edited:
From what I have seen, the rear fender is close to the rear tire.
From actual experience, thereunder needs to be far enough from the tire to facilitate changing the tire.
The room box, from my perspective will, even now be too close.
The only way to know for sure is to wait until you have the fender.
But then I gave up on the Bobber Kit over a year ago.
Custom fender mounts are visible in the photo, if you know what to look for.
Fender custom shrunk, with a rubber mallet, strap hoist and K1600B rear tire, to fit the R18 tire.
IMG_1418.JPGIMG_1420.JPG
Fender FormingJPG.JPG

Last edited:
BD I admire the your wrenching, but I'm not changing either tires on any of my motorcycles. If I have a blow out, she's sitting exactly where I stopped until the flatbed arrives. I'll leave figuring out how to get the wheel/tire off up to the tech and feign ignorance if he suggests I altered the bike.

Last edited:
Back