Transmission and Read Axle Differential Oil

Hello everyone! I think we can all agree that the recommended oil for the transmission and rear differential is crazy expensive at $51 for 500ml. Not sure if it's made with unicorn tears, or whatever, but that is highway robbery.

My dealer said they use 75w-90 hypoid gear oil for all BMWs, including the R18s. What is everyone using?

Well the manual wants you to use 70-80w full synthetic gear oil. There is a few other specs that is listed, but you would have to read the manual to be sure. I am still using the BMW oil in the trans that it came with...as the bike has 7k. But at 12k I will change it per the manual. You can buy from any Dodge/Chrysler dealer the same exact oil but under the Mopar name...for like a 3rd of what BMW wants...basically about $40 to do the whole bike..lol... If your dealer says you can use 75w-90 I would use Amsoil's severe duty oil. Not too expensive...I use it on my Valkyrie and it is excellent.

I just replaced the Transmission and Rear-Wheel Gear Fluid last weekend, as it calls to be replaced within the first year;.I'll use BMW recommended oil until the warranty expires.

A search will show quite a bit of information on this that has been discussed. @Adrian R and @Scott Semone summed up the bottom line nicely.

My dealer buys in bulk and confirmed it is the "right spec" after I double checked seeing I was charged less than $8.00 on my first final drive refresh, within pennies of what I pay for the "regular" 75-90 weight. Keep in mind "G3" is just a name and it is a GL5 spec lubricant, 70-80 weight.

Thank you for the replies. I am about to do the 600 mile fluid changes and I was going to replace all 3, engine, transmission and rear differential and wanted to see if there are some good alternatives to the BMW transmission oil.

I have seen other users speak positively on the use of the Mobil 1 Synthetic 15W-50 Engine Oil; I've decided, at least while my bike is still under the warranty, to use the BMW branded Transmission and Rear Wheel Diff oil. I've seen eBay sellers selling the Transmission gear oil at a reasonable price; perhaps go that route cost wise. Someone mentioned that the Transmission/Rear-Wheel gear oil is the same oil used in the BMW all wheel differential vehicles, and is available at the service shop at a cheaper price.

I have seen other users speak positively on the use of the Mobil 1 Synthetic 15W-50 Engine Oil; I've decided, at least while my bike is still under the warranty, to use the BMW branded Transmission and Rear Wheel Diff oil. I've seen eBay sellers selling the Transmission gear oil at a reasonable price; perhaps go that route cost wise. Someone mentioned that the Transmission/Rear-Wheel gear oil is the same oil used in the BMW all wheel differential vehicles, and is available at the service shop at a cheaper price.
I am definitely switching to Mobil 1 Synthetic 15W-50 Engine Oil. I wanted to find out if there is an alternative for the transmission and rear differential and it seems that the options are not as clear set. $150 for oil to change the fluids in the transmission and rear differential might be OK for a Peterbuilt truck, but for 1.5 liters to perform the work on a motorcycle is highway robbery. In end is not about affording it, it's the principle.

If you are thinking of replacing the crush washer for the Transmission Fill Plug; the entire Fill Plug is replaced as a single part and not just the washer, it also has a magnetic collector on it.

1/23007683375 |SCREW PLUG - M14X1,5 as is approximately $30.48

Screenshot 2023-07-13 at 7.27.14 PM.png

Ahh, I was not aware that BMW recommended to replace the plug each time, then again, I have not read the entire manual yet 😂😂😂
Thank you for the advice

Ahh, I was not aware that BMW recommended to replace the plug each time, then again, I have not read the entire manual yet 😂😂😂
Thank you for the advice
Are you talking about the Owner's Manual, or Repair Manual? Maintenance instructions are not listed in the Owner's Manual and BMW does not sell the Repair Manual to owners.

Are you talking about the Owner's Manual, or Repair Manual? Maintenance instructions are not listed in the Owner's Manual and BMW does not sell the Repair Manual to owners.
I have not read the Owners Manual entirely hence I did not know whether under some sore of basic maintenance BMW mentioned the replacement of the plug every time the differential oil was changed. I am aware that they have not published a proper maintenance manual which I think is wrong as we all have the right to choose if we perform some maintenance or not. I think to certain extent it is aimed to force you to go back to the dealership every time to do this and therefore guarantee a steady after sale income. Sales only won’t keep the dealership afloat tbh.

68227765AB. THIS is the Mopar part number for the 70W-80 API GL-5 Gear oil we need for our r18s. Why is this number important? My local Mopar dealer swore up and down that Mopar does not carry any gear oil of this spec, period full stop. I just ordered 4 quarts from CariD at $17 per quart, plus a bit more for shipping. Can't wait to go show it him what it looks like.....It looks like this:

68227765ab_1.jpg

While under warranty, I think I’d have a hard time justifying 75/90 when the book says 70/80. As soon as I used 75/90, Murphy’s law would bite me in the a$$.
I can see that ... the trouble for me is that the local dealership is no longer a BMW dealer ... my closest dealer is now 180 miles (one way) away ... I am on my own in that regard, so I am not banking on getting a lot of dealer/warranty support anyway.

This one works like a charm on my truck towing 25000 pounds. Technically, truck diff have a few more gears and few more bearings but principle is the same. I have 7 bikes in the garage and no issues for years.IMG_6396.png

Back