Tubeless Tires

While cleaning my bike yesterday I actually read the tire tag for the first time.

View attachment 6771

The tag says the tires on my US 21 R18 Base are tubeless?! Has anyone with an early US bike pulled the tires and checked? (For whatever reason) Anyone with tubed tires checked the tire tag to see what it says?
Yep the tires are tubeless. However the rims are not.

Had a pinhole in rear tire tube. Cost an arm and a leg to have it diagnosed and replaced.
Hmmm, got flat tire replace the tube.

The diagnosis is usually pretty easy, the bottom of the tire is flat... Cost of a tire swap and a tube is far less than a finger. Not sure where you arm and leg came from. Maybe my limbs are just more costly.

My front Michelin OEM reads the same as yours and was made in Italy. My rear OEM was made in Thailand and states "Tubeless - On a tube type rim, fit a tube"...

My front Michelin OEM reads the same as yours and was made in Italy. My rear OEM was made in Thailand and states "Tubeless - On a tube type rim, fit a tube"...
Yes they can be used as tubeless, that is not unusual ... just not on these rims ... tubeless doesn't mean that you can't stuff tubes into them ... but that's just me ;)

Had a puncture on highway, got home with 50% air by morning flat, tried putting air in but not holding. BMW came and took bike.

Just had a call, inner tube un repairable valve buggered. Two week wait for inner tubes wtf.......

btw,I purchased a set of tires from J&P cycles here in Phoenix because the dealer was gonna take 2-3weeks.Took the bike in and dealer replaced the tires F & R.Sidecar was still good.
The bike had 15,000 and the car had 7,500 miles.
The tires were replaced because I was going on a trip and did not want to take any chances.

I would recommend 3 bottles for 2 tires.Maybe a bit over kill but it works.

https://www.ride-on.com

I usually have the dealer mount and balance the tires then put the sealent in myself when I get home.
I get 2 cycles out of the tubes.
In other words a new tube every other tire change & yes the dealer lets the air out and saves the sealent.
Good Luck Bro.

Yeah I should have gone to an indie tyre place rather than BMW lesson learnt. They also are going to update the s/w and have ordered a programming pack as the clock and calendar won't set, they've flashed it o/n still doesn't work i.e. hold the settings entered.. annoying bug...
So how much of this gack does one squirt into each tube? Do the tubes have to be fully inflated whilst doing so? I'm guessing instructions come on the tin but nice to hear from experience..thanks again

One more thing that I probably should have added is that nobody necessarily needs to worry about experiencing a rapid blow-out as the result of the bike being fitted with tubes.

The rims are pukka tubeless rims, so to the tires, and the rims have tire-flaps installed that thoroughly seal off all the spokes as well as the tube's protruding valve. BMW could have gone the extra mile to make the flaps OUTEX-good to avoid the tubes entirely, but they did not, unfortunately. Intentionally perhaps, to sell accessory wheels as well.

This is a photo taken of the damaged rim, just after I removed the tire from it. The rim and tire-flap are still dirty and has tire-removal paste residue all over - also bits of cement from BMW originally glueing on the flap. Note how well the flap has depressed at the spokes and the impression of the tube's valve rim on it. Those are not cracks there - it is all grime.

View attachment 886
Can you tell me which wheel this is and which model it is from - front/rear 16"/19", Classic/Base. Thanks

Can you tell me which wheel this is and which model it is from - front/rear 16"/19", Classic/Base. Thanks
R18 (base) Front, 19". Also, see my other recent posts here and here .

Back