Valve adjustment

... the 'Redneck' way! ... you have the spark plugs out I take it? roll the motor over until you see the valves changing in rapid succession .. roll it just a bit further then stick something like a thin wooden dowel in the spark plug hole, keep rolling the motor and feel it come up to TDC .. as I said .. Redneck way :)
That’s how they do it on the latest V7 Guzzi’s. Stick down the hole method.

I posted this video recently, but I'll post it again here since there's no such thing as too many times to share information ;).

It's a Russian video detailing how to adjust the valves. For the valve clearances, and torque measurements, refer to my original post at: https://www.r18forums.com/threads/if-they-end-the-r18-line.1366/post-21471

Mike
I’ve watched this video a half dozen times, for the life of me I can’t figure out how you determine TDC with the view port. I don’t see any differentiating marks for TDC.

So, an interesting take on this topic. Seems bmw bikes have so much high tech now days bmw might be worried we could screw some things up if we wrench on them ourselves.

So, an interesting take on this topic. Seems bmw bikes have so much high tech now days bmw might be worried we could screw some things up if we wrench on them ourselves.
Also an annoying one. John Deere is in the same camp with their computerized tractors. They seem to think farmers don't know how to fix their own equipment.

Translation: They don't "want" farmers/owners fixing their own equipment, because they (service centers/dealers) lose out on $$$ if the farmer/owner can DIY.

This is why this is such a sore spot for me. In the quest for never-ending profit margin increases, companies are looking at EVERYTHING, including subscriptions for heated seats (yeah, looking at you BMW!!!!) to please the shareholder base. As a shareholder of BMW, I do NOT approve!, but since I don't hold enough shares for my voice to count, it's just white noise at the top.

I was tempted to do my 600 mile service at the dealership, but decided ultimately to do it myself on principle. Also FYI: the oil filters are parts-matching with the BMW i3 cars, and likely cheaper.

Mike

Also an annoying one. John Deere is in the same camp with their computerized tractors. They seem to think farmers don't know how to fix their own equipment.

Translation: They don't "want" farmers/owners fixing their own equipment, because they (service centers/dealers) lose out on $$$ if the farmer/owner can DIY.

This is why this is such a sore spot for me. In the quest for never-ending profit margin increases, companies are looking at EVERYTHING, including subscriptions for heated seats (yeah, looking at you BMW!!!!) to please the shareholder base. As a shareholder of BMW, I do NOT approve!, but since I don't hold enough shares for my voice to count, it's just white noise at the top.

I was tempted to do my 600 mile service at the dealership, but decided ultimately to do it myself on principle. Also FYI: the oil filters are parts-matching with the BMW i3 cars, and likely cheaper.

Mike
I second that!! By the way, in case somebody needs to know, K&N oil filter is Part# KN-164 and Air filter (washable) is BM-1821 I have used the 'washable' variant in many bikes .. as long as you use that spray-on oil that comes in the wash kit they work extremely well and the oil filter has that neat hex on the bottom so you don't have to buy a special wrench ... but that's just me 😁

... that is the listing for R18 FE, Classic and plain R18 2021 .. it does list the same Air filter for the 2022 'TC' and 'B' ... but strangely enough not the oil filter for those 2 models ... maybe a subscription based filter ??? 🤪

So, more broadly might we feel some two and four wheel things we use might ‘change over’ to dealer only service due to the ‘connected nature of things…aka computer chips need a special machine to read them, maybe change settings/updates within once connected. I am an old timer, though longer still since I touched a /5 to adjust the two, yes it was only two back in the day, valves on each head. Simple screw type bolt lossen/tighten adjustments mind you. Likewise thinking the R18 uses the same just four per head. That one would think we could do ourselves.

The other things needing computers/updates I am inclined to feel we have/are moving into the computer related age for the things we ride.

So, more broadly might we feel some two and four wheel things we use might ‘change over’ to dealer only service due to the ‘connected nature of things…aka computer chips need a special machine to read them, maybe change settings/updates within once connected. I am an old timer, though longer still since I touched a /5 to adjust the two, yes it was only two back in the day, valves on each head. Simple screw type bolt lossen/tighten adjustments mind you. Likewise thinking the R18 uses the same just four per head. That one would think we could do ourselves.

The other things needing computers/updates I am inclined to feel we have/are moving into the computer related age for the things we ride.
I've been tinkering with computers since I was a kid in the 80's, so BMW's not scaring me off with their "newfangled" DME tech :ROFLMAO:. Rather, it's quite simplistic (to some of us, that is), as it's just ones and zeros. The frustration lies in the fact that code can't simply be peered at with eyeballs, a flashlight, and a modicum of common sense. If BMW flashes assembly onto its EEPROM, there's ZERO way I'd be able to reverse-engineer that in a weekend with a 12 pack of beer. Anyone who's ever dealt with compiled vs. uncompiled assembly code knows what I'm talking about.

And, this complexity with computer technology no doubt, is what gets the companies so giddy with locking down their systems so end-users can't repair their own equipment, despite our own talents.

Ulrich, sorry man, I don't use reusable filters on my machines, too much work to maintain! :p

Mike

Keehn, that is all good. There are many different preferences and to each his/her own :D ... I just figured, I point out that there are alternatives.
And I agree with your statement about computers, hell they make me a pretty decent living 😁 . I just hate the proprietary nature and the company 'secrecy' around the whole thing. I wished that I would have access to the eeprom (and the code that goes with it) that runs our bikes so I could decide what parameters I want to tweak .. rather than letting the BMW gods tell me what I want.

Keehn, that is all good. There are many different preferences and to each his/her own :D ... I just figured, I point out that there are alternatives.
And I agree with your statement about computers, hell they make me a pretty decent living 😁 . I just hate the proprietary nature and the company 'secrecy' around the whole thing. I wished that I would have access to the eeprom (and the code that goes with it) that runs our bikes so I could decide what parameters I want to tweak .. rather than letting the BMW gods tell me what I want.
Ulrich, to each their own indeed. Hell, some choose to run with NO filter at all! :oops: But, they also dance with the devil in the pale moonlight;).

Also, that's why the "right to repair" laws are so important. BMW MUST be compelled to either release a software toolkit and/or well-documented open API that allows end users like us to talk via CANbus to the various modules on the bike. While we have various open-source tools like the ones listed here https://github.com/iDoka/awesome-canbus, they still require a lot of skill and know-how (e.g. "Bob" can't pick it up and repair his bike by pressing a few buttons by following an instruction manual).

FYI, I also code for a living ;) If it wasn't apparent.

Mike

LOL .. I tried the fine brass-screen open trumpet thing back in the 70's ... looks good .. otherwise, really bad idea :LOL:
.. thanks for the github link .. that come in handy!! .. I am more the 'hardware guy' at work, but I have some real brainiac coders on my team .. I am sure something can be figured out ... down the road .. for the time being I am pretty contempt with the way she runs ... or maybe I am just getting old ... but I know, there will be a time where I want to get in there and have a look ;)

And yes, I fully and whole heartedly support 'The Right o Repair' (by owner!) society has been drifting away from that and IMO it is a real shame! ... and it is killing Indies ... yes there are some hacks .. but there are also some extremely fine independent mechanics out there that could show the factory techs a thing or 2 :giggle:

Back