Watch outs for a 2021 First Edition

WaydeG

Im a former Road Glide owner who just got tired of the clunkiness of an 800 lb bagger. Given the weight (771lbs?) of the R18 FE, does anyone have any insight as to how this 1.8L monster handles around town? Im heading to the dealership tomorrow. Price is 13999.00. Im assuming that's a good price and along with the .9% financing and 6 months worth of payments it a no brainer. Any "watch outs" i need to be aware of? Thanks in advance.

Yeah, and this is the first bike Ive looked at in a long time and fell in love with the esthetics. Rolling BMW artwork. Love the look.

The R18 is possibly the easiest bike I've ever riden.It is, just in plan english:Fun as Hell and the cool factor is out of pocket!
Talk about low center of gravity,WOW! Love my R18C with Hannigan sidecar.
I also have a 2 wheel Vtwin Bagger(Indian) at about 900 pounds.Love it too.I had HDs for years.My 1st new in 1980,TourGlide last new one 2011 CVO Ultra.
IMG_9935.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
@
Im a former Road Glide owner who just got tired of the clunkiness of an 800 lb bagger. Given the weight (771lbs?) of the R18 FE, does anyone have any insight as to how this 1.8L monster handles around town? Im heading to the dealership tomorrow. Price is 13999.00. Im assuming that's a good price and along with the .9% financing and 6 months worth of payments it a no brainer. Any "watch outs" i need to be aware of? Thanks in advance.

Yeah, and this is the first bike Ive looked at in a long time and fell in love with the esthetics. Rolling BMW artwork. Love the look.
I just bought a 21 First Edition after 33 years of riding Harleys. I traded my 2006 Road king, took the same demo deal that you did, and got the bike out the door for almost nothing with great financing. I haven't gotten mine yet. Definitely not sure of any negatives as all of the reviews say the bike rides great, Anti lock brakes, stability control and multi ride functions are all stuff Harley should have done years ago. I personally think the Road King handled like shit, braking was a nightmare and it was all style and no substance. Good luck!

#1 “watch out” off of the showroom floor is to ensure that the rear suspension preload is addressed by the dealer. It needs be moved from the shipping setting to one in your weight range. Takes 2 minutes!

Having spent many hours in the saddle of a variety of bikes, including a handful of Harleys over the years, the best way to describe the handling of the R18 is "deliberate". It's not hard to handle, but you have to put some weight into it. I am perfectly comfortable with it, but the couple times my sweetie rode it, who is shorter, weighs less and has less experience, she was surprised by the amount of effort it took to navigate at parking lot speeds. The only two bikes she has ridden though are the Vulcan S 650, which I consider neutral handling and an Indian Scout, which I feel borders on twitchy- it changes direction too easily, I have to focus on keeping it straight. The R18 does what you tell it to, but you have to actual engage in steering, not just think about it like something like a Scout or a crotch rocket.

Think Fat Boy if you have ridden one and you'll be in the ballpark.

Owned several Harleys over the years including Street Glide Special, a 2019 Fatboy, and my keeper, a 2017 FLSS. I bought the R18 FE as an opportunity to ride something different. I will say compared to what the R18 was targeted against, the newer Softails, it's good but not as good. The new Harley Softails handle amazingly well. They have decent ground clearance, and they are smooth at highway speeds.

Don't get me wrong I love my R18. But it has some things that need work. The suspension even when properly set can be jarring over big bumps like my 2017 Softail. Above 75 mph on the highway it can get buzzy at the bars. Ground clearance is okay. Meaning if you go the posted speed limits in the canyons you might drag a peg. Above that it will drag pegs. No biggie. Just be aware.

I do love the styling of the R18 and it's a nice addition to my garage. Boy I thought I got a deal but these leftovers are going for next to nothing. Sucks for us that paid way more IF we want to sell or trade-in....

Owned several Harleys over the years including Street Glide Special, a 2019 Fatboy, and my keeper, a 2017 FLSS. I bought the R18 FE as an opportunity to ride something different. I will say compared to what the R18 was targeted against, the newer Softails, it's good but not as good. The new Harley Softails handle amazingly well. They have decent ground clearance, and they are smooth at highway speeds.

Don't get me wrong I love my R18. But it has some things that need work. The suspension even when properly set can be jarring over big bumps like my 2017 Softail. Above 75 mph on the highway it can get buzzy at the bars. Ground clearance is okay. Meaning if you go the posted speed limits in the canyons you might drag a peg. Above that it will drag pegs. No biggie. Just be aware.

I do love the styling of the R18 and it's a nice addition to my garage. Boy I thought I got a deal but these leftovers are going for next to nothing. Sucks for us that paid way more IF we want to sell or trade-in....
The suspension is a bit harsh. I was gonna do a aftermarket rear shock till I got the Hannigan sidecar.With the SC the bikes suspension is pretty darn near perfect.Kinda lika a 1ton pick up with a half a load to calm her down.

The best mod I did to smooth out the R18 was the BT Moto tune.MY R18C is smooth, real smooth now.It changed the entire character from start up to idle & cruising 75mph+.
Glad to see there are folks getting in on the group buy here so they can expierence the full potential of the R18's

Traded my 2005 Road King in on a Classic FE. Handles very well at low speed. I did do some practice in a parking lot trying to get my turning radius's down to do a U-turn on a narrow road. It is still a bit of a hassle but getting better all the time. I'm now in Key Largo and miss the Pennsylvania hills and mountains but at least I am still riding in January. The price is a no-brainer so good luck, pull the trigger.

Thanks for the insight. Visited the dealership today and Im 90% sold. The toe area (not the riding position) seems a little cramped especially for a riding boot/shoe and wondered if anyone was able to adjust the brake lever and the shift lever down for more room. The BMW website shows floorboards for about $275(?) but the dealer said more like $800 as an add on.Would prefer the small windscreen like the concept vs the clear windshield. Overall. very impressed with the stance, the sound and surprised to find it is more nimble than anticipated. Any input?

Thanks for the insight. Visited the dealership today and Im 90% sold. The toe area (not the riding position) seems a little cramped especially for a riding boot/shoe and wondered if anyone was able to adjust the brake lever and the shift lever down for more room. The BMW website shows floorboards for about $275(?) but the dealer said more like $800 as an add on.Would prefer the small windscreen like the concept vs the clear windshield. Overall. very impressed with the stance, the sound and surprised to find it is more nimble than anticipated. Any input?
When I was a younger man I stood 6' 3" tall but,I'm 6'1" now.I think my feet and legs are the same length,lol.That being said.My size 12 hit the frame and mad it hard to put into 1st gear.After the first time demo ride on the R18C,I went home to think about it.I then took the bike for another ride a few days later and adjusted my foot to the pegs low and behold,I cleared my toe so I could shift.
Next thing.My Indian has floorboards as with all my previous bikes the last 20 years.I was determined to buy the floor boards for the R18C till I actually put some miles on the bike.Now I am used to the pegs.I really like them.Then after getting rid of the horrible oem seat and replacing it with a Corbin there was a night & day difference on the riding position.Floor boards are great for the laid back seating on my Vtwin.I can't believe I am sayin this but,I actually think floor boards would not be as comfortable as the pegs for this bike.Last thing,I have a side car which required the use of uperbody strength to maneuver and steer.The bike is much easier to ride with the factory handlebars, pegs and riding position(& Corbin).
Hope that helps..

Alpare
Considering most motorcycles I've ridden in the past 15 years have been parallel or V Twins, going to an 1800cc boxer isn't exactly a lateral move.

But thanks for contributing....
Apparently you haven't compared ford and chevys to BMW's. Sorry to confuse.

The difference in quality (parts, ride, feel and maintenance expense) between top European vehicles vs their American counterparts is distinct. I thought the reference may be useful to you. Apparently not. Japanese bikes are like Japanese cars as well. If you have driven a Lexus, a Cadillac and a bmw or Porsche you might relate.

Again sorry to not provide you with any value.

Last edited:
Considering most motorcycles I've ridden in the past 15 years have been parallel or V Twins, going to an 1800cc boxer isn't exactly a lateral move.

Nice Pun on the BMW Lateral move compared to parallel vertical and Vtwin inline,LOL!

I signed the paperwork today on a 2021 First Edition Classic with just under 250 miles. I just think the added features like cruise control, foot boards, etc are well worth the additional cost. Taking delivery sometime after the winter storm warning passes in N Texas. Thanks to all for the input. Looking forward to many, many years and miles on this unit.

Proof that we don't need to fight

/just ignore the fact that it was made during WWII
//like raaaaaain on your wedding day!
///irony has three slashies

Back