Watch outs for a 2021 First Edition

In the middle of a Groundhog day snow storm, in the far north Chicago burbs...in Winter's firmest grip, I have no clue what to expect. My Classic has about two miles on it! I can't imagine handling and power wise will it stack up to my mighty 1800 Valkyrie, but I don't care...it's a kick arse looking bike. I like just looking at it! I can only imagine all the attention it will get this riding season! I luved the attention I got pulling my Valkyrie into hard core HD bars!

Attachments

• IMG_20210724_180342.jpg
    IMG_20210724_180342.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
When I was a younger man I stood 6' 3" tall but,I'm 6'1" now.I think my feet and legs are the same length,lol.That being said.My size 12 hit the frame and mad it hard to put into 1st gear.After the first time demo ride on the R18C,I went home to think about it.I then took the bike for another ride a few days later and adjusted my foot to the pegs low and behold,I cleared my toe so I could shift.
Next thing.My Indian has floorboards as with all my previous bikes the last 20 years.I was determined to buy the floor boards for the R18C till I actually put some miles on the bike.Now I am used to the pegs.I really like them.Then after getting rid of the horrible oem seat and replacing it with a Corbin there was a night & day difference on the riding position.Floor boards are great for the laid back seating on my Vtwin.I can't believe I am sayin this but,I actually think floor boards would not be as comfortable as the pegs for this bike.Last thing,I have a side car which required the use of uperbody strength to maneuver and steer.The bike is much easier to ride with the factory handlebars, pegs and riding position(& Corbin).
Hope that helps..
It does and I appreciate it.
And after 10 years of floorboards and a toe/heel shifter on my Road Glide it seemed awkward to have pegs again. A couple of years ago I rode a Versys 1000 to see if I liked an adventure style bike. Eh, no. I had the same foot placement/peg issue back then. I'm sure its a matter of what you're used to and simply adapting.

The real kicker was the addition of cruise control, the smaller front tire (seemed to ride better) and the fact that I can remove the windshield and saddle bags if I want to go the "naked cruiser" route. Its my understanding they are pretty easy to remove and instal, something I couldn't do on my Road Glide. I also prefer the straight exhaust over the quasi-fish tail, which really didn't bother me as much as some others.

In the middle of a Groundhog day snow storm, in the far north Chicago burbs...in Winter's firmest grip, I have no clue what to expect. My Classic has about two miles on it! I can't imagine handling and power wise will it stack up to my mighty 1800 Valkyrie, but I don't care...it's a kick arse looking bike. I like just looking at it! I can only imagine all the attention it will get this riding season! I luved the attention I got pulling my Valkyrie into hard core HD bars!
The engine on the Valkyrie is one of touring legends. It may be comparing apples to oranges though. I can attest that the R18 Classic rides very different from my Road Glide. The shark nose made it very cumbersome at slower speeds. The R18 felt like a track bike compared ti the RG. I looked at a few early 2000 Valkyrie models before deciding to go the new bike route.

Being in Chicago, I'm sure you're more well prepared and experienced in "snowmageddon" as we here in Texas shut down with 30 minutes of sleet and a 1/4" of snow. I drive an F150 Super Crew 2WD and every 4WD truck owner thinks they can do 75 down the highway with no issues. Usually see them in the ditch 4-5 milled own the road. We're prepared this year though as we bought a generator and have a 200gal propane tank to sustain us. Stay warm and be safe.

The engine on the Valkyrie is one of touring legends. It may be comparing apples to oranges though. I can attest that the R18 Classic rides very different from my Road Glide. The shark nose made it very cumbersome at slower speeds. The R18 felt like a track bike compared ti the RG. I looked at a few early 2000 Valkyrie models before deciding to go the new bike route.

Being in Chicago, I'm sure you're more well prepared and experienced in "snowmageddon" as we here in Texas shut down with 30 minutes of sleet and a 1/4" of snow. I drive an F150 Super Crew 2WD and every 4WD truck owner thinks they can do 75 down the highway with no issues. Usually see them in the ditch 4-5 milled own the road. We're prepared this year though as we bought a generator and have a 200gal propane tank to sustain us. Stay warm and be safe.
Let me make this clear. The 2000 Valkyrie is an entirely different bike compared to the short lived 2014/15 Valkyrie. The newer Valk is an engineering masterpiece.. Fast, ultra smooth, very powerful, crisp, sport touring handling, fantastic brakes, perfect gearing, low maintenance, 300 mi one fuel tank range...fuel gauge (lol).. but shite stock tires and a horrible seat. New tires and different seat near perfect bike. No twin comes close to that perfectly balanced, FI, boxer 6. However, the looks, like the band Rush, you either love it or hate it! But, it doesn't have the R18s character ..not even close.

Owned several Harleys over the years including Street Glide Special, a 2019 Fatboy, and my keeper, a 2017 FLSS. I bought the R18 FE as an opportunity to ride something different. I will say compared to what the R18 was targeted against, the newer Softails, it's good but not as good. The new Harley Softails handle amazingly well. They have decent ground clearance, and they are smooth at highway speeds.

Don't get me wrong I love my R18. But it has some things that need work. The suspension even when properly set can be jarring over big bumps like my 2017 Softail. Above 75 mph on the highway it can get buzzy at the bars. Ground clearance is okay. Meaning if you go the posted speed limits in the canyons you might drag a peg. Above that it will drag pegs. No biggie. Just be aware.

I do love the styling of the R18 and it's a nice addition to my garage. Boy I thought I got a deal but these leftovers are going for next to nothing. Sucks for us that paid way more IF we want to sell or trade-in....
I have to agree on the stiff suspension even when the back is set correctly. I wish the front end was also adjustable as the back. I do a lot of expressway to and from work and the one I travel has a lot of raised seams that can be harsh.

@

I just bought a 21 First Edition after 33 years of riding Harleys. I traded my 2006 Road king, took the same demo deal that you did, and got the bike out the door for almost nothing with great financing. I haven't gotten mine yet. Definitely not sure of any negatives as all of the reviews say the bike rides great, Anti lock brakes, stability control and multi ride functions are all stuff Harley should have done years ago. I personally think the Road King handled like shit, braking was a nightmare and it was all style and no substance. Good luck!

I personally think the Road King handled like shit, braking was a nightmare and it was all style and no substance. Good luck!
I share the same thoughts based on riding one for five years. Road King my arse...

I can say, on my test ride the suspension was harsh. HOWEVER, the sales guy took ten minutes to adjust the rear suspension before I left the lot; and WOW, what a difference. between that and my Cross country seat, I really enjoy the ride now. Had it now for 700 miles - still loving it. Had my first PANIC breaking today and it came through like a champ. Better than any other bike I've had. As for ease of riding, only bike easier was my Yamaha Raider. Low torque and low COG - Beemer is excellent too!!

did you go to Gateway for your bike. They were the only ones doing that deal when I got mine. Did you make any adjustments with the rear suspension?

Just a thought….if your R18 FE is fitted with a OEM Stealth tracker, keep a close eye on the battery charge! The battery will struggle to hold charge for longer than two weeks, unless its put on a can-bus acceptable charger. I have had mine recently removed. Enjoy.

Im a former Road Glide owner who just got tired of the clunkiness of an 800 lb bagger. Given the weight (771lbs?) of the R18 FE, does anyone have any insight as to how this 1.8L monster handles around town? Im heading to the dealership tomorrow. Price is 13999.00. Im assuming that's a good price and along with the .9% financing and 6 months worth of payments it a no brainer. Any "watch outs" i need to be aware of? Thanks in advance.

Yeah, and this is the first bike Ive looked at in a long time and fell in love with the esthetics. Rolling BMW artwork. Love the look.
It’s a BMW, so it handles pretty well for an 800 pound bike. I had a raft of issues with my FE; I had problems getting them resolved as well. But it is a truly beautiful bike. And it’s got serious performance chops. Once it’s rolling it doesn’t feel like an 800 pound bike

Back