What malevolent sadist designed the Pure R18 FE seat?!?

D04011

Site Supporter
Finally got around to taking my R18 FE out for its first ride yesterday. First one was solo and I did 70 miles. Love the bike but the seat was beginning to get somewhat uncomfortable but not too bad. Got home for a bit and then went out for a 65 mile ride with my pillion. God Almighty, we were both REALLY starting to feel the pain/significant discomfort by the time we got home...

I have had a LOT of bikes during my 55 years of riding and this is the very FIRST that I have actually found painful and the first that I don't have any choice other than to get a new seat. I have gotten other seats from Russell, Laam and Corbin amongst others but that was just because I wanted to, not because I had to. My Speed Triple seat feels like a piece of plywood with a vinyl cover but I can ride that 150+ miles with only minimal discomfort... WTH were they thinking putting that POS seat on an expensive bike?!? Maybe too focused on making money on an absolutely necessary replacement seat...

I wonder if the seat designer also designs the various Sagopedic mattresses I've slept on in some low end motels?!? I wonder if the OEM seat is why it has a small gas tank so you have to stop for gas before your a$$ goes completely numb and you have an accident?!?

I really thought that folks were exaggerating how bad it is and that my seriously iron a$$ could handle it. Very sorry that I doubted some of you... Learned my lesson though and am going to have to get a new seat, probably a Weekender.

Yep, the stock seat sucks arse! I went with the Cross Country. It is great...the only downside is the passenger part is permanent. So, the Weekender is possibly better, only due to being a 2 pcs seat.

Three things that made real diff with my R18C: Corbin Solo seat, Memphis Shades fork deflectors and BT tuning. This combo makes it a really different motorcycle- i now can ride it long and fast without pain in my butt and head wobbling like crazy.

The stock seat completes a look but it is not comfortable. Why they couldn't do both... idk, I have zero expertise in that matter.

I also went with a Cross Country seat and I am very happy with it. I wish I could have kept the look of the stock seat but had to make the compromise.

Last edited:
Yeah, the R18 is tied with the Indian Scout for the worst stock seats I have experienced on a bike. I picked up an extra take off standard seat I plan to have re-foamed at some point, see if I can make it comfy.

BMW is not know for it’s seats or side stands. At least they got one right on the R18 .

BMW is not know for it’s seats or side stands. At least they got one right on the R18 .
Interesting you say that. I agree with the literal statement, but am probably 180 degrees out of phase. I find the stock seat (on the 18C at least) perfect. The side stand on the other hand, not so much. Too much lean. It always feels like I'm dropping the bike every time I get off of it.

Finally got around to taking my R18 FE out for its first ride yesterday. First one was solo and I did 70 miles. Love the bike but the seat was beginning to get somewhat uncomfortable but not too bad. Got home for a bit and then went out for a 65 mile ride with my pillion. God Almighty, we were both REALLY starting to feel the pain/significant discomfort by the time we got home...

I have had a LOT of bikes during my 55 years of riding and this is the very FIRST that I have actually found painful and the first that I don't have any choice other than to get a new seat. I have gotten other seats from Russell, Laam and Corbin amongst others but that was just because I wanted to, not because I had to. My Speed Triple seat feels like a piece of plywood with a vinyl cover but I can ride that 150+ miles with only minimal discomfort... WTH were they thinking putting that POS seat on an expensive bike?!? Maybe too focused on making money on an absolutely necessary replacement seat...

I wonder if the seat designer also designs the various Sagopedic mattresses I've slept on in some low end motels?!? I wonder if the OEM seat is why it has a small gas tank so you have to stop for gas before your a$$ goes completely numb and you have an accident?!?

I really thought that folks were exaggerating how bad it is and that my seriously iron a$$ could handle it. Very sorry that I doubted some of you... Learned my lesson though and am going to have to get a new seat, probably a Weekender.
TC with stock seat was horrible for me also. After owning 10 bikes and 1 Can Am Spyder I have always had to modify or replace the stock seats. Get yourself the cross country seat and you'll be happy IMO.

Interesting you say that. I agree with the literal statement, but am probably 180 degrees out of phase. I find the stock seat (on the 18C at least) perfect. The side stand on the other hand, not so much. Too much lean. It always feels like I'm dropping the bike every time I get off of it.

Fully concur with the acute lean angle on the R18. Just about as much as on my H-D Fat Bob but the Fat Bob is easier to jerk upright. On the other hand, my Rocket 3 GT hardly leans at all and I have to be VERY careful where I park it or it will tip over sure as Hell... :mad:

The older BMW's with the spring loaded kick stand would literally retract and allow the bike to fall over.The kick stand on the R18 is like the HD jiffy stand only better and much stronger.
Funny,I have a condo(& Rebel 300) in Vietnam.Anyway, the Vietnamese will lift their scooter with both wheels off the ground and turn them around 180 degrees using the kickstand as a prop.
One could do that with the R18 if you could get the bike off the ground.That damn kickstand is really heavy duty.
I don't use mine as the side car keep it up,LOL.

IMG_5155.JPG
BTW,this seat beats the hell out of the R18C seat.I ride all over Vietnam.No A$$ problems but city traffic is a bitch,LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm doing a gel insert on the factory seat as I like the profile. The stock seat leaves a lot to be desired for a ride lasting more than an hour. The lean on the side stand is significantly better than the "jiffy stand" on my previous Road Glide. It always felt like it was about to fall over.

Fully concur with the acute lean angle on the R18. Just about as much as on my H-D Fat Bob but the Fat Bob is easier to jerk upright. On the other hand, my Rocket 3 GT hardly leans at all and I have to be VERY careful where I park it or it will tip over sure as Hell... :mad:
Turn the bars so the throttle is closest to the tank and then throw a leg over and while standing you will barely have to straiten your legs while applying a little pressure with your left leg inner thigh pushing against the bike. She will be upright with little or no pressure even needed on the bars. it is like using the center stand on other BMW models, when done properly the bike almost lifts itself so dancing with it rather wrestling all the weight is a night and day result.

Good luck!

BMW designers may be artists and not riders. My R18TC is a beautiful machine but I have already submitted an order form to Russell for a seat. D04011 may be right that the seat designers also manufacture the Sagopedic mattress found in some motels.

Great one-liner reference to the Sagopedic mattress. LOL

Swapped out for the Day Rider which makes a big difference. Thinking of having my original seat modified with Gell pads etc. Not sure why I would bother as I do really like the Day Rider.

Swapped out for the Day Rider which makes a big difference. Thinking of having my original seat modified with Gell pads etc. Not sure why I would bother as I do really like the Day Rider.
I'm going with a gel insert first just to keep the lines of the original seat. I've looked at You Tube tutorials and I think I can manage it if I'm careful. If that fails, onto the Day Rider.

My seating situation was so dire that I purchased a cross country seat which is not designed for my TC at all. I was able to modify the seat pan to fit over all the connections for the TC. I got lucky and it all worked out. I can now take my planned trips! I have noticed that every bike I have ever owned I have had to either modify or replace the stock seat with an aftermarket. Having to spend another 700 to 1000 bucks every time the average rider spends 20000 to 30000+ for a bike is starting to feel like a racket. On my 2018 Goldwing only about 20% of that version's owners were able to tolerate the stock seat.

I'm going with a gel insert first just to keep the lines of the original seat. I've looked at You Tube tutorials and I think I can manage it if I'm careful. If that fails, onto the Day Rider.
Any link for that tutorial? Please, and thanks in advance

Back