What's the jacket of choice for your R18?

A few months ago I stumbled onto an amazing jacket from Japan made by an outfit called The Flat Head. Beautiful, beautiful hand-made horsehide black leather jacket. I paid about 15% of retail and have been smiling ever since. It's literally the nicest jacket I can conjure up in my minds-eye and then there it is! I'm gonna put that on, ahhhhhh. The point of this thread isn't to brag about my find, no, it's to stress that I hadn't even KNOWN about it prior to finding it online and then doing some research. There's others out there I'm sure.

So, R18 owners...we have folks here from around the globe: France, Thailand, California, South Africa, Poland, Pennsylvania, etc. What are you wearing? What niché leather boutique can you shine a light on and maybe inspire someone else to make an investment? Or if jackets is too narrow a topic, what gloves or pants or boots are you wearing? Any specific do's or don'ts?

Here's the jacket

View attachment 1059

it smells so good. holy freakin' shit.
Japanese are said to be the worlds best with regard to horse hide jackets. I bought the BMW Pure Boxer which is also made from Horse. Was disappointed to see it had been made in Indonesia and not Austria, US, Japan or some other area famous for the use of horse leather.

Sorry to resurrect a thread. Langlitz Leathers has a different manager but the owners are still the Langlitz family. The current president is Judy the grand daughter of Ross, the daughter of Jackie and Dave Hansen. Jackie being Ross's daughter. This is clearly outlined on their web page and is verifiable through the Oregon Secretary of State Business look up which lists Judy as president.
I have a 19 year old Columbia jacket in goat skin, 20 year old westerns in goat skin and a Cascade in goat skin made this year for their 75th anniversary. The quality is the same on mine. Both jackets fit to a T. I have received nothing but high quality service and goods from them for the past 20 years. My uncle has a jacket made in the late 70s. If he didn't blow up his waist line in the past 40 years he'd still be wearing it. I fully expect to continue to wear my Langlitz until I die. Then I expect my family will be faced with the choice of burying me with them or passing them on to my progeny.
I also have Vanson and Schott jackets. They sit in my closet mostly gathering dust. Though both are high quality, they do not match either of my Langlitz jackets for quality or material and fit.
For inclement weather, which is a good portion of the winter here in the PNW, I wear Aerostich gear.
I am amazed they can be so greedy to sell the crap they make today, I would love nothing more than to order a new Langlitz but the last one I got is so poor I would never go there again, you can look at mine and compare with my older jacket and see the difference, the cut fit and leather are all CRAP!! Ross would not approve....

I am unashamedly a Belstaff groupe.
I have a Mojave in Burnt Cuerco, a supreme in black brown, a turner in black, a wax cotton Brooklands,in light brown but my favourite is my Ivy in the original and best horsehide. All the Belstaff jackets are really comfortable straight away.
For hot weather I have a Rokker rockertech jacket which keeps you cool.
Also a big shoot out to Aerolesther from Scotland. I have a horsehide highwayman which after 22 years is starting to break in.

I've gone full cruiser. 🤙

Reax Fairmount Riding Shirt. Feels like a jacket (maybe it needs more breaking in) Coated denim (I haven't poured water over it, but it has that Barbour waxed cotton jacket feel). CE 2 armor in shoulders and elbows. Back armor pocket (nice!). Lined. Now that it's fall, wearing it more.

For warmer weather, as I live in the Atlanta area (hot and humid), I have the Skull Riderz Mesh Shirt. As well as having an ultra abrasion resistant Tuff Mesh™ outer shell, they reinforce the entire back, shoulder and elbow areas with 250GSM Kevlar®. CE1 in the elbows and shoulders. Back armor pocket. Looks cool.
A19DE256-2E4E-49C7-8A4C-2C2320CF79C0.jpeg990D01A3-65AB-43C8-952F-CA4B0BCF2B60.png

Last edited:
Since selling my KLIM gear.. Still wearing an older DUCATI leather jacket and I've been adding Roland Sands to my wardrobe; I have a couple of flannel shirts by RSD, which are really high quality

I am unashamedly a Belstaff groupe.
I have a Mojave in Burnt Cuerco, a supreme in black brown, a turner in black, a wax cotton Brooklands,in light brown but my favourite is my Ivy in the original and best horsehide. All the Belstaff jackets are really comfortable straight away.
For hot weather I have a Rokker rockertech jacket which keeps you cool.
Also a big shoot out to Aerolesther from Scotland. I have a horsehide highwayman which after 22 years is starting to break in.
You mean "Holy Horse"!
Virtual copy of the original Belstaff Ivy

Aerostich R3 but zipper broken so I need to get it fixed. Usually R3 for winter and klim goretex pants with motoport kevlar mesh for summer. Now its motoport with warm n safe inner heated liner with mosko moto outer rainshell until I get R3 fixed. I live in Atlanta, GA USA area.

Right now with the cold, the Rev'it Trench is my go to. I feel like I'm weird for having certain jackets for certain temperature ranges.

> 80+
Icon Upstate Mesh
70-80
Rev'it Spark Air
60-70
Icon Upstate Flannel
< 60
Rev'it Trench

Back