Wimpy Horn Replacement

Fiamm Dual horn installed (my friend's bike)

Attachments

• S__17465407.jpg
    S__17465407.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 92
  • S__17465409.jpg
    S__17465409.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 90
  • S__17465372.jpg
    S__17465372.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 90
  • S__17465374.jpg
    S__17465374.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 93
  • S__17465375.jpg
    S__17465375.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 94
what is the actual db from stock horn ? has anyone tested Thank you
I did a search and the OEM horn is rate at 107 dB.
I bought a pair of Hella "Strong Tone" horns and they are rated at 113 dB. I think that that's EACH, but I'm not sure. I installed a pair of them on my Indian Roadmaster and they are loud. And it doesn't matter because I see no way to mount them both on the R18 without it looking like a kludge. I refuse to uglyfy my beautiful R18.

Clarton EC9 specs: BMW replacement horn for the R18
  • Diameter // 79 mm
  • Voltage // 12V
  • Frequency // Low 420Hz / High 510Hz
  • Sound level // 107 dB (A)
  • Current consumption // 3.5 - 5A
Clarton FC9 specs: OEM R18 horn
  • Diameter // 77 mm
  • Voltage // 12V ó 24V
  • Frequency // Low 350Hz / High 420Hz
  • Sound level // 107 dB (A)
  • Current consumption // 3.5 - 5 A

Last edited:
I did a search and the OEM horn is rate at 107 dB.
I bought a pair of Hella "Strong Tone" horns and they are rated at 113 dB. I think that that's EACH, but I'm not sure. I installed a pair of them on my Indian Roadmaster and they are loud. And it doesn't matter because I see no way to mount them both on the R18 without it looking like a kludge. I refuse to uglyfy my beautiful R18.
I end up buying Fiamm single blaster + BMW connector horn, to preserve the look.

I changed the wimpy horn on my 1250GSA a while back and it turns out, it was the same OEM horn on the R18. There is a "plug & play" BMW car horn that fits perfectly and is louder and deeper. The part is: Clarton Horn P/N: CN-61338381271

Thanks Enzo5000! My R18 now has a horn that might get the attention of potentially deadly auto drivers. Needless to say, there are no guarantees, but my odds have been improved. ;)
I posted pics in "What did you do to your R18 today?"
I have entered the specifications on the replacement horn and the OEM horn in the post above. Interestingly, they both spec out at 107 dB, but I suspect that the difference in frequency, added to the "snail shell" horn shape of the replacement may may be why the replacement horn clearly sounds louder & more "commanding". I have a sound meter but have not taken the time to measure & compare the output of the two horns. Perhaps I'll take the time a later.

Last edited:
I changed the wimpy horn on my 1250GSA a while back and it turns out, it was the same OEM horn on the R18. There is a "plug & play" BMW car horn that fits perfectly and is louder and deeper. The part is: Clarton Horn P/N: CN-61338381271

See before/ after videos below:

Thanks for this Enzo! Easy 15 min install, and works like a charm. $21.50 plus shipping.

Attachments

• 2DEFB55B-F6AA-43CE-B81E-F0381EC5C9D7.jpeg
    2DEFB55B-F6AA-43CE-B81E-F0381EC5C9D7.jpeg
    1,014 KB · Views: 66
I can report that this horn is much louder than the stock horn and easy to install. Remove the nut from the back of the stock horn with a 13mm wrench and unplug the wire connector. Remove the nut from the back of the new horn. Plug the bikes wire connector into this horn and install it to existing bracket. Tie wrap the wires to the existing wiring to keep it out of the way. There is no interference with the kickstand and using the horn does not trigger any codes. In my opinion this is a must do modification and costs about $30 US delivered form AutohauseAZ.com. In Phoenix they delivered it personally the next day.
Ordered. Thanks for the heads up! Anything is better than the stock horn.

Anyone install the Denali Sound Bomb? After some Jack@ss cut me off yesterday for the millionth time I'm ready to put a louder horn on ALL my bikes. I heard a buddies Sound Bomb on his bike and it was like Semi's horn!

My only concern it running the wiring. Meaning, I like how clean the R18 looks with hidden wires. I don't want to ruin that look with some aftermarket wires....

Anyone install the Denali Sound Bomb? After some Jack@ss cut me off yesterday for the millionth time I'm ready to put a louder horn on ALL my bikes. I heard a buddies Sound Bomb on his bike and it was like Semi's horn!

My only concern it running the wiring. Meaning, I like how clean the R18 looks with hidden wires. I don't want to ruin that look with some aftermarket wires....

I agree, R18Art. But the R18 is not an easy machine to fit a bigger horn and if the new horn draws more amperage than the stocker, wiring-in a relay complicates the job. Good luck.

I installed a Denali SoundBomb Mini on mine since I use them on several other rides - Amazon.com: SoundBomb Mini Electromagnetic Low Tone Horn: Automotive. It was the first thing I did when I got the bike. It only pulls 5 amps and does not require a relay but does proper LOUD. It screws onto the same horn bracket. You will need to replace the BMW connection with two female spade connectors and a piece of shrink-sleeve, though. The wiring is long enough - I cut mine off 3/4" back from the BMW connector. Just double-check yours anyway - always better to check twice and only cut once.

I installed a Denali SoundBomb Mini on mine since I use them on several other rides - Amazon.com: SoundBomb Mini Electromagnetic Low Tone Horn: Automotive. It was the first thing I did when I got the bike. It only pulls 5 amps and does not require a relay but does proper LOUD. It screws onto the same horn bracket. You will need to replace the BMW connection with two female spade connectors and a piece of shrink-sleeve, though. The wiring is long enough - I cut mine off 3/4" back from the BMW connector. Just double-check yours anyway - always better to check twice and only cut once.
Thank you! Yeah any improvement is better than stocker. Thanks for the details!

See before/ after videos below:

Thank you so much. Exactly what I was looking for

FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster LOW Note Horn installed. Well its louder than beep beep stock horn but not as loud as Piaa Dual slender horn. I'm happy cuz the horn is not that noticeable and its loud.​

Attachments

• S__478273538.jpg
    S__478273538.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 56
  • S__478273540.jpg
    S__478273540.jpg
    503 KB · Views: 56

FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster LOW Note Horn installed. Well its louder than beep beep stock horn but not as loud as Piaa Dual slender horn. I'm happy cuz the horn is not that noticeable and its loud.​

Nice. I have the Denal® SoundBomb Mini installed on mine. I suggest that you rotate the Horn's mouth to be parallel with the paving. It will be equally as loud but will prevent it from scooping up water from the front wheel in the rain.

I also run the Denali Mini. Great little horn for the money --just be sure to buy the adapter to make life easy. I had a spare sitting on the bench after it did not get along with a 2015 R12GS. Oddly enough, I have another one on a 2016 R12GS and I have never had a problem! 🤷‍♂️

Installed the Denali SoundBomb Mini today.
With no adapter I had to cut the OEM wire, but no regret, I'll never go back with the stock horn!

FYI. BMW harness.

Back