Windshield / Windscreen options?

Luis

In some post someone has already installed a Puig Custom 2 windshield. I notice it is low for me and I have read reviews about it, that point out that the airflow hits the helmet a lot as it is very low. Does anyone here have a slightly higher windshield installed? I would like one that is "removable and easy" and the “genuine” or “oficial one” is not an option yet.
Thanks

I installed a cheap Amazon windscreen as a place holder until the BMW ones become available. They come in 18" and 19" tall versions.

R18_windscreen.jpg

I installed the same cheap windshield Enzo did.
In dark grey shade.
I find the EOM shield design too "heavy", and too expensive too ....:rolleyes:
And I don't fell the need of the additional head lights which come along.
But I quickly had a broken handlebar bracket. They are plastic stuff, and the vibrations killed them.
So I found on the net metal mirrors brackets fitting exactly the need.
And added two lower supports, made from SS rods I machined.
Easy process, just flattening/drilling one end and threading the other one.
I used the bolt at the brake wire junction.
No more vibration, looks very strong now, and the protection is effective.

Attachments

• c656e707-bf4f-4f6e-923a-d955133b9eb5.jpg
    c656e707-bf4f-4f6e-923a-d955133b9eb5.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 662e84f0-644c-41d8-8047-6e25319f59d9.jpg
    662e84f0-644c-41d8-8047-6e25319f59d9.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 92
  • ebca37f6-6eb7-4167-a216-b664f8ca9012.jpg
    ebca37f6-6eb7-4167-a216-b664f8ca9012.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I went to my local dealer today to order for an additional key and could see a "Classic".
I have to reconsider my opinion about the EOM windshield and reckon this thing looks gorgeous ... :sneaky:
Those pics on the configurator don't show the reality.
This will be a post seat-changing project.

Last edited:
I LIKE the way the OEM came up with such a well engineered mount for the windshield. Attaching supports to the tops of the forks is smart. I'm also a big proponent of driving lights each side of the headlight. I like the look and the added night time visibility is great.
Unfortunately I don't want a windshield, but I DO want to add driving lights to my R18 and the OEM hasn't yet decided to design the mount that I need.

I LIKE the way the OEM came up with such a well engineered mount for the windshield. Attaching supports to the tops of the forks is smart. I'm also a big proponent of driving lights each side of the headlight. I like the look and the added night time visibility is great.
Unfortunately I don't want a windshield, but I DO want to add driving lights to my R18 and the OEM hasn't yet decided to design the mount that I need.
The BMW OEM windscreen/running light combo is a quick release system. You can remove the windscreen leaving the running lights intact on the mount bar.

R18_running_light_mount.jpg

The BMW OEM windscreen/running light combo is a quick release system. You can remove the windscreen leaving the running lights intact on the mount bar.
SUNUVAGUN! I was unaware of that. So it must be in the works at BMW to eventually just sell the lower stuff, without the windscreen. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed.

Or the Windscreen, Without the lights ... :rolleyes:
With the adaptative headlight, you get side light when cornering. Way enough to my eyes.

""
The adaptive headlight allows for significantly improved illumination of the roadway when cornering. The system works by switching on separate LED elements with their own reflectors in the main headlight depending on the lean angle. The bend lighting switches on automatically at a lean angle of 7° and a speed of more than 7 mph. The additional lighting effect illuminates the inside of curves and is optimized for lean angles of up to 25°. This feature offers enhanced safety benefits when riding at night or in other situations with poor lighting conditions. "

Last edited:
I ve taken the touring Puig Windscreen . Impossible to adjust in order to get no helmet vibration and acceptable helmet noise. It s always noisy whatever the position. i can get rig of the vibs by flattening the position but the noise is still there. and it becomes ugly when to flat . Ok till 80km/hr but terrible at 110 km/hr. Even with ear plugs:(. Had a good look yesterday at the Classic screen version. It s nice but not enough inclination and slightly too low to protect ie 1.8m tall guy like me. I tried the Motoguzzi calif 1400 touring , it s screen was perfect for me . Might be able to install a similar . Could you share your feed back with the sreens you have ie at 110km/hr (70mph) regarding head noise and vibrations ?
1620381296274.png 1620381317506.png
P1050679.JPGP1050678.JPGP1050680.JPG

I toll you guys... the turbulence with the Puig is impossible. Let’s wait for the (biggest) OEM, the smaller one has the same issue as the Puigs.

Hmmm, I wasn't going to go for the OEM windshield system for my FE. But seeing it's removable I may do it. But I do like the simple solutions shown in this thread. And considering even for my other cruisers, I rarely mount the windshield, the less expensive option may be the way I go...

The factory shield caused buffeting and unbelievable noise in my helmet. The faster I went, the louder. I had to wear ear plugs at highway speeds.

I tried a Laminar Lip for universal cruiser. It did not work. I sent it back.

I bought a small deflector from Revzilla. It works MUCH better. I can ride with a full face on, shield up. Its quiet and comfortable.

I have a bigger deflector (lip) on but have not tried it yet.

David
21 SE Classic

Out of curiosity, how tall are you guys? I'm 6', and the factory shield on my classic is great at removing wind from the chest, and to me at least, it's really not much worse than a naked bike with regards to noise. There isn't any appreciable buffeting at the helmet in any case. I've stood on the pegs at 80, and while the noise does go down slightly, it's really not that much. I'm wondering if it's more a question of rider height and head position???

5'7". My head is right in the turbulence. Yours might be above it.

I also come from an R1100RT, an R120R with a Parabellum fairing and I have a gold wing. SO, I might be used to more protection.
David

Back