1st Edition Gift Box

"Just as it was with the R 18, the new R 18 B and R 18 Transcontinental will be available in exclusive First Edition versions in addition to the standard models at the time of launch. The packages include special paint and surface finishes such as Blackstorm metallic paint with elaborate double-pinstripes in Light white, with handlebar fittings and cylinder head covers outfitted in chrome. First Edition inscriptions are found on the side cases and embroidered on the seat. Customers also get a “First Edition” Welcome Box." taken from https://canadamotoguide.com/2021/07/29/2022-bmw-r-18-b-and-r-18-transcontinental-unveiled/
I hate to break it to you, but that is not accurate. 🤷🏽

I hate to break it to you, but that is not accurate. 🤷🏽
Not sure why you would keep saying this ? The dealer told me it did, others who bought them did, BWW press release said they did????? So please tell me why you keep saying something that isn't true?
Seriously I would like to know. First you tell me I am not being respectful to the dealer for not delivering what I paid for then you tell me I'm not entitled to it?

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/...18-b-and-r-18-transcontinental?language=en_US

he R 18 B and R 18 Transcontinental First Editions.
At market launch, the new R 18 B and R 18 Transcontinental will be available in exclusive First Edition versions in addition to the standard models. These combine the classic R 18 look with equipment in exclusive paint and chrome.

Additional equipment extras include chrome components, Blackstorm metallic paint with elaborate double-pinstripes in Lightwhite echoes the bikes’ historical roots. Other highlights include special surface finishes, an embroidered seat and the inscription “First Edition” on the side cases.

First Edition features include:

• Wheels in black, contrast milled (R 18 B).
  • Wheels in silver grey, contrast milled (R 18 Transcontinental).
  • Chrome clasps on cases with "First Edition" lettering.
  • Chrome-plated handlebar fittings.
  • Chrome-plated cylinder head covers and hero chest.
  • Chrome-plated intake trim.
  • White double pinstriping on fuel tank, fairing and trunks and cases.
  • Chrome-plated brake calipers at the front (R 18 Transcontinental only).

Another component is the "First Edition" Welcome Box which is exclusively reserved for buyers of the "First Edition" and contains:

• Box with picture of the engine on the lid.
  • Historic fuel tank emblems (copper-colored lettering).
  • Historic slotted screws (copper-colored).
  • Working gloves.
  • Assembly screwdriver (can also be used as a key ring).
  • “R 18 First Edition” cap.
  • Leather belt with exclusive “R 18 First Edition” belt buckle.
  • Book about the almost 100-year history of BMW Motorrad.

Yeah BMW is getting pretty loose with the first edition nomenclature. There was a day when first edition meant the first edition. Now it’s first edition version 1.0 1.2 1.3 2.0 2.1 2.2……..

Yeah BMW is getting pretty loose with the first edition nomenclature. There was a day when first edition meant the first edition. Now it’s first edition version 1.0 1.2 1.3 2.0 2.1 2.2……..
I think something is being lost in the translation here. This is the First Edition Transcontinental . There were no previous Transcontinentals. This is and was a paid for option from BMW . The previously attached BMW press release made it very clear this is a first Edition and the components included within that paid for option. I'm not sure why anonymous members like burangs would tell me I am not entitled to something I paid for. I can only guess he may have purchased a first edition from the same dealer and didn't get his box either so assumes nobody should.

I think something is being lost in the translation here. This is the First Edition Transcontinental . There were no previous Transcontinentals. This is and was a paid for option from BMW . The previously attached BMW press release made it very clear this is a first Edition and the components included within that paid for option. I'm not sure why anonymous members like burangs would tell me I am not entitled to something I paid for. I can only guess he may have purchased a first edition from the same dealer and didn't get his box either so assumes nobody should.
It is what it is man. I hope you get the box. It’s just hard to to think of the transcontinental being the first edition of the r18. Some got the first edition of the r18 and it’s a wee bit confusing. The transcontinental seems like the 3rd edition of the r18. I’m certainly not going to loose any sleep over it but kinda screws the folks who actually got the first edition of the r18.

I have a 2021 R18C that is a 1st edition and I got the welcome/box.
I thought the 1st edition was in 2020,LOL!

I have a 2021 R18C that is a 1st edition and I got the welcome/box.
I thought the 1st edition was in 2020,LOL!
The first model year for the R18 was 2021. There are no First Edition option for the R18 or R18 Classic in 2022. 2022 is the first year and have the first edition option for the Transcontinental and the the R18 B which are very different bikes from the original R18 hence " First Edition"

The first model year for the R18 was 2021. There are no First Edition option for the R18 or R18 Classic in 2022. 2022 is the first year and have the first edition option for the Transcontinental and the the R18 B which are very different bikes from the original R18 hence " First Edition"
The term ‘original r18’ kinda encapsulates what I was saying. Those Bs and TCs are sweet though. I might have gotten the B if I had the option then. Just couldn’t wait.

I have a good friend Hans Bhargonbasmendt who has work for and with the factory in Berlin for at least a couple decades. Hans was born in Berlin and quite enjoys to wear the 'Made in Berlin' shirts. But that is for another post. Anyway, Hans said that BMW expected to sell over 150,000 FE units. They sold way less than that and have 10's of thousands of the FE boxes avail. So they are using them for all r18 models. In fact he said it is likely to expect they will deliver them with the 1st addition of the 2nd edition bikes that come out in 2023.

I have a good friend Hans Bhargonbasmendt who has work for and with the factory in Berlin for at least a couple decades. Hans was born in Berlin and quite enjoys to wear the 'Made in Berlin' shirts. But that is for another post. Anyway, Hans said that BMW expected to sell over 150,000 FE units. They sold way less than that and have 10's of thousands of the FE boxes avail. So they are using them for all r18 models. In fact he said it is likely to expect they will deliver them with the 1st addition of the 2nd edition bikes that come out in 2023.
That makes sense of my recent experience when in for first service on my R18 C. He asked did I receive my welcome box. Got the impression that if I was dishonest, they may have sent me another one anyway.

Sorry to hear sales did not meet projections . As a lifelong Harley rider and now R18 owner I do not know why they aren't setting the cruiser world on fire. But maybe if buying a BMW is like pulling teeth as my experience was it will keep the Harley rider at Harley dealerships

Last edited:
Back