1st Edition Gift Box

I have a good friend Hans Bhargonbasmendt who has work for and with the factory in Berlin for at least a couple decades. Hans was born in Berlin and quite enjoys to wear the 'Made in Berlin' shirts. But that is for another post. Anyway, Hans said that BMW expected to sell over 150,000 FE units. They sold way less than that and have 10's of thousands of the FE boxes avail. So they are using them for all r18 models. In fact he said it is likely to expect they will deliver them with the 1st addition of the 2nd edition bikes that come out in 2023.
That number seems way off. BMW has been selling ~170K motorcycles globally in a year in their best years. Expecting a single new model to effectively double their overall production numbers in a year seems like someone did a math mistake. Especially considering Harley is also selling ~170K motorcycles globally annually. I’d think a stretch goal of 15K units in first year might have been plausible with a realistic expectation of 1500-2000 units especially with COVID.

Funny tho. When you go to search parts on the official website is asks if the r18 is a 2020 or 2021.
Yes I find many things on their parts website that don't make sense to me. After 40 years on Harleys for which I understand their history well my first BMW Motorcycle purchase was 2021. Therefore I am not well versed in knowledge of BMW historical production. Although it is very difficult to find on the web it was my understanding the intended rollout of the 2020 R18 was delayed to 2021 . This what I found. "BMW took their time with the R18, with the company releasing 2 concepts and an engine layout throughout 2020 before actually releasing the motorcycle in Spring 2021. Was it worth the weight and the hype? We’ll keep our verdict short: yes, but it ain’t perfect." source https://www.carcitymotors.com/bmw-r18-review/

Past 2 years have been bad for all manufacturers trying to release new models (not new colors) especially with all the supply chain issues. R18 had unfortunate timing.

I do expect the 2023 model year to have something special as it is the 100 year anniversary for BMW Motorrad. At the 90th they released the R9T, which was so successful they kept the line running and added new variations.

If they keep on offering such huge deals on the r18, they might even see that huge sales figure exceeded!

I was in the market for something new, and liked the look of a cruiser (getting older!).

Equivalent spec HD Fatboy at the same approximate RRP would cost me £5k deposit & £400 a month for 3 years.

Picked up a r18 FE Classic withe every option ticked (chrome & pinstripes FE, reverse, alarm, pro lights, locking fuel cap, hill start assist, heated grips, floorboards) out the door for no deposit, no interest payments, £157 a month for 3 years.

Huge value & yes - I even got the FE giftbox.

If they keep on offering such huge deals on the r18, they might even see that huge sales figure exceeded!

I was in the market for something new, and liked the look of a cruiser (getting older!).

Equivalent spec HD Fatboy at the same approximate RRP would cost me £5k deposit & £400 a month for 3 years.

Picked up a r18 FE Classic withe every option ticked (chrome & pinstripes FE, reverse, alarm, pro lights, locking fuel cap, hill start assist, heated grips, floorboards) out the door for no deposit, no interest payments, £157 a month for 3 years.

Huge value & yes - I even got the FE giftbox.
Welcome from another UK based Classic owner. There are several of us here that I know of.

Black Dog I appreciate your sense of humor and would not expect any other type of comment from you . That being said the extremely poor dealer experience I have had will most likely have me order a 2022 Goldwing Tour DCT next week in place of the Grand America option 719. And no it wasn't just the welcome box which frankly I couldn't care about . And no I was wasn't one of those A hole customers demanding a discount, I paid over list for my 2022 Transcontinental . . And no I didn't demand more for my trade than it was worth as I had none. Yes I owned and operated 4 John Deere dealerships for 30 years so yes I know what reasonable customer expectations are. I had left one question for the dealer before I made up my mind , for which I have not received a response. " Why would I buy another motorcycle from you as opposed to another dealer?" The Honda dealer answered that question in 30 seconds speaking to both the quality of the dealership as well as quality of the product.

I put a deposit with the dealer on an R18 in Nov, 2019. Paid $1,000 under list.
Took a Cape Air Flight to St Louis Oct 15, 2020, dealers rep picked me up at St Louis airport.
Took a 15 minute test ride, wrote them a check, rode the R18 256 miles home.
2 days later the First edition box arrived at my door Fedex, was a nice surprise, was not even expecting it.
By the way what John Deere dealer do you wash tractors for, need to mark a circle on the map? Bet you will not answer.
Makes me glad I use all New Holland equipment.
You need to "Go Buy A Honda" how freaking hard can it be.
Even in anonymity you are distraction for your Brand.
"Karen"or should I say Johnny

Viva Brasil Green!

images-1.jpeg

Last edited:
Back