Auxiliary LED Running Headlights Installation

I spoke with my dealer in SoCal the other day. They are available. The left side handlebar switch controller ships from Germany and is around $600. Also there are two different configs of the FE's triple tree. Make sure the bottom light bar mount bolt holes match up correctly. If not then you are out of luck. All in you're looking at around $1300. for all the bits. Two LED lights, bottom mounting bar, wiring harness and handlebar switch module. Plus labor or DIY.

I spoke with my dealer in SoCal the other day. They are available. The left side handlebar switch controller ships from Germany and is around $600. Also there are two different configs of the FE's triple tree. Make sure the bottom light bar mount bolt holes match up correctly. If not then you are out of luck. All in you're looking at around $1300. for all the bits. Two LED lights, bottom mounting bar, wiring harness and handlebar switch module. Plus labor or DIY.
Is there an SKU or anything anywhere?

Has anyone purchased and retro fitted their R18 FE with the OEM Auxiliary LED Running Headlights?

View attachment 3959
I ordered the Aux running lights along with the BMW windshield for my FE last May. Finally got all the pieces in late November. That handlebar switch was the part that held up everything. However, Enzo5000's comment about the mount holes needing to match up is valid. Mine did not match up, but the dealer made it work by redrilling the holes. (He did get my permission beforehand to make that modification.) The labor to install the windshield and light bar came to just over $1000, so plan accordingly or DIY.

I can confirm these are generally available in the US now. The most expensive part is the switch enzo mentioned. There are two types, one for bikes equipped with cruise control, and the other for those without. As mine has cruise control the BMW part number I needed is 61319467931. What I don't exactly understand is how the switch is different from the one on my bike already. But if I had to guess, the brights on/off button internals has an extra connection port for the auxiliary lights to also toggle their brightness. Can anyone with an R18 classic confirm the auxiliary lights do in fact have a bright mode and standard mode?

f1a30bdd68d1cb36b6d3095f6ce16c32.png

Brightness modes? I didn't think they did.

The button is just on / off, I can't see any difference in brightness from the aux lights.

Unless you turn them on with the button they are always off - it's completely manual.

Admittedly, my bike is not a Classic. It's an FE that I added the lightbar to. Attached is a picture of the new switch. You will note that I do not have cruise control. Where the previous switch simply said "MODE", this new one has the aux. lights icon and now serves as both "MODE" and turning on/off the aux. lights. There is no brightness selection.

Attachments

• 20220120_150205_HDR.jpg
    20220120_150205_HDR.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 78
It still makes me wonder if the existing switch would work. On my bike that button is simply doesn't have the mark identifying it as an auxiliary light switch. But there is clearly tactile feedback as if its indeed a button that doesn't do anything because its not hooked up to anything.

Stock image for reference

iu

It still makes me wonder if the existing switch would work. On my bike that button is simply doesn't have the mark identifying it as an auxiliary light switch. But there is clearly tactile feedback as if its indeed a button that doesn't do anything because its not hooked up to anything.

Stock image for reference

iu
I wondered the same thing. However, the dealership service dept. mgr. did tell me that the replacement switch includes the necessary wiring, which isn't present on the FE models.

I'm going to attempt an install of the light bar, lights, brackets and all parts for the aux lights on my stock 2021 R18 with cruise, has anyone DYI'd it as of yet, outside of their dealer? I do not have this switch yet, the only part I don't have but was curious if anyone's done their own install.

Do any of the parts have a link to BMW's website to illustrate their installation? Most all of the parts I have gotten from BMW do. Its kinda annoying imho.

I can confirm these are generally available in the US now. The most expensive part is the switch enzo mentioned. There are two types, one for bikes equipped with cruise control, and the other for those without. As mine has cruise control the BMW part number I needed is 61319467931. What I don't exactly understand is how the switch is different from the one on my bike already. But if I had to guess, the brights on/off button internals has an extra connection port for the auxiliary lights to also toggle their brightness. Can anyone with an R18 classic confirm the auxiliary lights do in fact have a bright mode and standard mode?

f1a30bdd68d1cb36b6d3095f6ce16c32.png
My Classic does not have 2 brightness positions.

I ordered the Aux running lights along with the BMW windshield for my FE last May. Finally got all the pieces in late November. That handlebar switch was the part that held up everything. However, Enzo5000's comment about the mount holes needing to match up is valid. Mine did not match up, but the dealer made it work by redrilling the holes. (He did get my permission beforehand to make that modification.) The labor to install the windshield and light bar came to just over $1000, so plan accordingly or DIY.
Do the aux running lights help you see better or be seen better?

Do the aux running lights help you see better or be seen better?
I noticed one very distinct difference when riding at night. Whenever I lean into a turn, the aux lights throw a sort of mini highbeam in the direction of the lean to illuminate the corner better. I was pleasantly surprised with that feature.

Otherwise, maybe just a bit brighter wide angle generally.

Back