Auxiliary LED Running Headlights Installation

Good wiring idea. What is the amp draw of both lights?
Less than 1A (0.9A), the BMW OEM Auxiliary Lights are an LED assembly by HELLA. I was going to use a relay, so as not to electrically over stress the latching switch; however, the switch is rated for 10A (still waiting on Amazon to deliver..). More to follow..

1662155912530.png

Last edited:
The Black/Color ON-OFF LED button was well worth the wait.. I chose the Model B FE over the TC, because I loved the look of the Black Dash, Black Shocks/Sleeves, Engine Cover and Black Wheels within the First Edition offering; plus, realistically I knew my wife isn't too keen on the idea of the motorcycle and wouldn't use the passenger accommodations that the TC offers.

I have some wiring to get done this morning and "considering" tackling the swapping out of the Model B Blinker Mounting / Shock Caps for the Transcontinental Shock Caps; which will require lifting the bike today, dropping the front shocks down 3" in order to remove the existing caps and replace with the TC caps.

1662205719864.png
1662206084454.png

I finished up the wiring today; I switch the LED color to WHITE on the Auxiliary Light Switch, which matches the Instrument Gauge backlit color a little better than Blue.

Also, I installed the TC shock sleeve caps; rather than dropping the shocks down from the triple tree (beyond my mechanical comfort level), I cut away the existing Model-B caps in order to see if they can be deformed and removed with a single cut. Once removed, I then decided to cut the new TC caps once I could see that they are nothing but a cosmetic piece and don't provide any real rigidity for the shock sleeve; the structural support is provided by the two pilot holes within the lower tree clamps.

I'm considering this project 100% complete at this point; I may take on the adding the TC lower leg wind protection, but that looks like a ground ball - the biggest headache will be getting the pieces painted at the body shop. (the painted pieces are crazy expensive vs blank colored pieces) Also, speaking of paint - I noticed two scratches on the rear swing arm (I'll post something separate, as I'm curious if other TC and B model owners have the same scratch marks):

1662235370116.png

1662235516647.png1662235584680.png
1662235208476.png

I finished up the wiring today; I switch the LED color to WHITE on the Auxiliary Light Switch, which matches the Instrument Gauge backlit color a little better than Blue.

Also, I installed the TC shock sleeve caps; rather than dropping the shocks down from the triple tree (beyond my mechanical comfort level), I cut away the existing Model-B caps in order to see if they can be deformed and removed with a single cut. Once removed, I then decided to cut the new TC caps once I could see that they are nothing but a cosmetic piece and don't provide any real rigidity for the shock sleeve; the structural support is provided by the two pilot holes within the lower tree clamps.

I'm considering this project 100% complete at this point; I may take on the adding the TC lower leg wind protection, but that looks like a ground ball - the biggest headache will be getting the pieces painted at the body shop. (the painted pieces are crazy expensive vs blank colored pieces) Also, speaking of paint - I noticed two scratches on the rear swing arm (I'll post something separate, as I'm curious if other TC and B model owners have the same scratch marks):

View attachment 6780

View attachment 6782View attachment 6783
View attachment 6779
Great Job. I love ingenuity.

Great work Scott,

I have found the auxiliary lights really light up the road at night. They flood the left and right area in front of the bike. Also with winglets you can ride highway with a minimum of wind turbulence.

Are you planning to mount the lower leg wind deflectors? Riding in shorts the other night in 68 deg weather, I noticed a drastic difference in temp on the legs by moving the knees about two inches outward. The deflectors are well designed.

I look through my TC wind screen but it doesn't bother me. It deflects wind over my head for a remarkably tranquil ride.

Great work Scott,

I have found the auxiliary lights really light up the road at night. They flood the left and right area in front of the bike. Also with winglets you can ride highway with a minimum of wind turbulence.

Are you planning to mount the lower leg wind deflectors? Riding in shorts the other night in 68 deg weather, I noticed a drastic difference in temp on the legs by moving the knees about two inches outward. The deflectors are well designed.

I look through my TC wind screen but it doesn't bother me. It deflects wind over my head for a remarkably tranquil ride.
A lower Leg Wing Protection project is certainly on the horizon... for now though, I want to try and get some end of season riding in and enjoy the winglets and auxiliary lighting... I'm extremely happy with the recent addition to my Bagger (minus the two paint gouges that I found...)

I typically ride with my HIGH-BEAM light ON during the daytime; however, I adjust it during night-time riding as a courtesy to oncoming traffic. I want to be as visible as possible during the day; I'm thinking of having my Auxiliary Lights come ON anytime the IGNITION is in the ON state - regardless of the headlight LOW or HIGH BEAM state. I'll use a BOSCH relay in order to trigger the Auxiliary Lights On as depicted below:

View attachment 6442
Hi Scott. I am ordering the OEM auxiliary lights assembly kit today w harness to come on w ignition switch as you described. Don’t need more switches!! I will diy this but may need further assistance. I was hoping for plug and play but the Bosch relay you suggested is a little overwhelming😬. Is there a wire harness from lights to relay?

Hi Scott. I am ordering the OEM auxiliary lights assembly kit today w harness to come on w ignition switch as you described. Don’t need more switches!! I will diy this but may need further assistance. I was hoping for plug and play but the Bosch relay you suggested is a little overwhelming😬. Is there a wire harness from lights to relay?
I should mention that I have the R18 719 with cruise control.

I should mention that I have the R18 719 with cruise control.
During the installation, I was able to determine that the auxiliary lights draw less than 1 amp; so I didn't need to use the Bosh relay, instead I wired in the switch directly to the fairing accessory power plug which supports up to 5 A.

Has anyone purchased and retro fitted their R18 FE with the OEM Auxiliary LED Running Headlights?

View attachment 3959
Hello. I have installed these lights in my R18-FE the bracket has to modified in order to align with the triple tree holes. Also the bolts that come with the kit doesn’t include any spacers or washers to properly align and securely attach the lights. if your bike has the steering damper which came in some later model’s it might. I wired it directly to the rear shaft light switch. It’s definitely lots of work just to do this conversion. Good luck

Attachments

• 46FAC616-01E7-4C6C-823E-BBAA94256006.jpeg
    46FAC616-01E7-4C6C-823E-BBAA94256006.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 85
  • AEDB607A-396A-4A5C-87F0-011ED86F0F13.jpeg
    AEDB607A-396A-4A5C-87F0-011ED86F0F13.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 85
  • 47A9FE1F-A6A3-496E-8197-CF1499145E6F.jpeg
    47A9FE1F-A6A3-496E-8197-CF1499145E6F.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 83
  • 9AAE4057-7172-4A3F-9289-8FE71D0F91B4.jpeg
    9AAE4057-7172-4A3F-9289-8FE71D0F91B4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 78
During the installation, I was able to determine that the auxiliary lights draw less than 1 amp; so I didn't need to use the Bosh relay, instead I wired in the switch directly to the fairing accessory power plug which supports up to 5 A.
That makes the wiring install much simpler! I don’t have the TC so I will have to figure something out. Charleston, SC BMW is trying to understand the Bosch relay diagram that you attached in the forum. They’ll order all the parts necessary parts to have the lights on with the ignition switch. Thank you for the quick response

Hello. I have installed these lights in my R18-FE the bracket has to modified in order to align with the triple tree holes. Also the bolts that come with the kit doesn’t include any spacers or washers to properly align and securely attach the lights. if your bike has the steering damper which came in some later model’s it might. I wired it directly to the rear shaft light switch. It’s definitely lots of work just to do this conversion. Good luck

This is the best looking base R18 on this site. I would love to add your bike to my garage. Gorgeous. Just love the style.

That makes the wiring install much simpler! I don’t have the TC so I will have to figure something out. Charleston, SC BMW is trying to understand the Bosch relay diagram that you attached in the forum. They’ll order all the parts necessary parts to have the lights on with the ignition switch. Thank you for the quick response
The relay is typically used when powering a device that draws high current (Amps), and you use a low current switch (physical push switch or ignition sense) and or ignition source to switch the relay in order to power the high current device via a direct battery connection; which typically, is getting power directly from the battery.

The relay is typically used when powering a device that draws high current (Amps), and you use a low current switch (physical push switch or ignition sense) and or ignition source to switch the relay in order to power the high current device via a direct battery connection; which typically, is getting power directly from the battery.
To all the electrically savvy forum friends. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Currently my 2022 R18 719 dim headlight is on at all times when the bike is running. I am hearing that the running lights takes less than an amp to run. I want them on with the dim headlight 100% of the time. Would it be ok to splice the running lights directly to dim headlight wire W/O THE USE OF A RELAY? I The dim headlight is on at all times regardless whether the bright light is on/off. Would this create an overload?

The headlight wire harness goes under the gas tank. I attempted to run the running lights harness under tank but it only goes halfway back on the tank. I considered removing the tank to trace the connections. The tank removal process is not an easy task. It would simplify the wiring process if I could just splice the running lights to the dim headlight wire up front. Would this be a safe and viable option? Please help🙏

I'm pretty sure the running lights (tail lights, license plate light, etc.) are ON when riding..?? Are adding 3rd party or aftermarket lights, or are you referring to the stock OEM lights?

I'm pretty sure the running lights (tail lights, license plate light, etc.) are ON when riding..?? Are adding 3rd party or aftermarket lights, or are you referring to the stock OEM lights?
Thanks for responding Scott! I ordered and received the stock BMW running lights (two lights beside the headlight) for improved visibility. I also have the wiring harness that goes inside the bottom windshield bar. Thanks, Tony

Thanks for responding Scott! I ordered and received the stock BMW running lights (two lights beside the headlight) for improved visibility. I also have the wiring harness that goes inside the bottom windshield bar. Thanks, Tony
Do you mean the two auxiliary lights? Which model R18?

Back