Cost of first service

I plan on buying a classic with a cross country seat. I have an R1200R that has only been to the dealer for fuel strips.

I do all the maintenance. I could not afford to have it serviced. I do own a repair shop.
The "Service" reminder has been on since 6,000 miles. I changed the oil and filter every 3,000 miles.
I adjusted the valves once. It still does not need it again. 75,000 miles, I am trading it in.

David
When u adjust valve,do you need adjust it or when you check it is still under spec?

Wait! In canada they told me use this saf xo!!!
I created a case according user menu mentioned BMW G3 HYPOID 70w80 or SAE 70W80 BUT NOT MENTION GL4 OR GL5.
now canada bmw report turn in 70w80 bmw g3 HYPOID AXLE. Not 75w90.
Its just not that important to worry about. Its a gear box. It needs gear oil.
David

BMW R 18 ( K34 ) Обслуживание мотоцикла​

check this out! it is a 10000km service! very detail a best youtuber! all torque and spec he set to lower left of the monitor!

Its just not that important to worry about. Its a gear box. It needs gear oil.
David
You right,the reason I mention it is because when shake the two different gear oil 70w80 vs 75w90,they are water vs thick oil...u should try shake it your self,than you might question like me:woo...need 70w80!
When u adjust valve,do you need adjust it or when you check it is still under spec?
R18 no shim,very old school engine,but man..it is powerful!

My dealer quoted $400 for the first service at 600 miles. Normally I do all my own service except mounting tires, but I've seen a few bikes where the dealers discovered problems at first service and got them sorted, so I'm probably going to do it.

My GS I've only had to the dealer once, when the two manifolds needed synced (or something like that, it was running rough and something like that was the fix). It takes a special tool that costs twice as much as the service, so I figure I'm willing to pay them every 20k miles rather than have a tool I only use every few years. I figure I'll do the rest of the services on the R18 as well.

Here in Italy, the first Service at 1000 km (600 mi), is for free for the R18 Transcontinental I just purchased: can be done by any BMW official dealer on the territory. I don't know if it's only for the B and TC models or for all the R18 range.

Back