Cost of first service

How many miles before the warning comes on and how long after it comes on before we need the service ??? jp

I’ve had the warning on my dash since collection, there’s no light though. The manual says if the light comes on if the service is overdue. If you scroll through your dash you’ll have a screen which says warn! With a spanner next to it and mileage remaining before it’s due. In Km it should be 1000 so around 620 miles although the manual says between 300 and 750 is fine.

Attachments

• DA5F74C1-4469-4427-9111-C88DC7CEE47D.jpeg
    DA5F74C1-4469-4427-9111-C88DC7CEE47D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
if you see the wrench and no alert light, you may be able to dismiss the message when viewing it by holding the menu rocker in down position to clear the message. i experienced similar after a first service, unsure exact circumstance. hope this is helpful.

I solely rode the R18 this spring to get the 600 miles needed to perform the first service. Now my local dealer is booked up until July 20th. If I had known that I would have booked an appointment two months ago.
I may just forgo having the dealer do it and just do it myself. I don't know what they could refresh on a base model and I want to get the Bren tune installed before then.

I solely rode the R18 this spring to get the 600 miles needed to perform the first service. Now my local dealer is booked up until July 20th. If I had known that I would have booked an appointment two months ago.
I may just forgo having the dealer do it and just do it myself. I don't know what they could refresh on a base model and I want to get the Bren tune installed before then.
Random thoughts.....

Absent specific problems the first service is primarily engine oil, filter and final drive fluids, fondle her bits and let the mother ship's computer enjoy a secret handshake..

That said, some owners have the transmission fluid replaced as well, but it's pricey and not called for. There are any number of computer upgrades that may be downloaded depending on when your bike was built and they reset the next service warning. When considering all this and just my opinion, but I certainly wouldn't leave her parked for that length of time especially in prime riding weather. The break in service mileage isn't etched in stone so if you are only going to ride her a few hundred miles until the shop will see you you could continue to check the oil level is OK and just ride her. I personally would pick up a BMW oil change kit from the dealer and take the few minutes to change filter and fluids in the engine and final drive and snap a few photos of your work and keep the receipt if any future question arrises that a change wasn't made. I would not jump the gun on loading a tune. Bren recommended doing things after the first service for good reason and I would just enjoy stretching her legs more and getting to know her rather than possibly throwing away an early tune and paying more for such a short period of time (but I am a cheap, I mean frugal individual). Check her over like you should be doing already and just enjoy her. The Bren is great, but mine started and ran very well from the get go and was noticeably happier after the miles were added in reduced vibes, better sound and I used more and more of her RPM range too. The Bren will add to that, but you will also see noticeable "good stuff " as is.

Good luck and for the record, your shop is screwing the pooch as this is a very quick and easy service and regardless being their busy time of year they should be able to squeeze you in before that long a time. I guess a rider with a tire puncture or bad battery that gets towed in would have to wait months as well? I've had BMW, Harley and Honda dealers offer to help me on "off brands" while traveling so I would expect my own shop to give me the time of day and reasonable service after spending thousands of $$$ with them.

Random thoughts.....

Absent specific problems the first service is primarily engine oil, filter and final drive fluids, fondle her bits and let the mother ship's computer enjoy a secret handshake..

That said, some owners have the transmission fluid replaced as well, but it's pricey and not called for. There are any number of computer upgrades that may be downloaded depending on when your bike was built and they reset the next service warning. When considering all this and just my opinion, but I certainly wouldn't leave her parked for that length of time especially in prime riding weather. The break in service mileage isn't etched in stone so if you are only going to ride her a few hundred miles until the shop will see you you could continue to check the oil level is OK and just ride her. I personally would pick up a BMW oil change kit from the dealer and take the few minutes to change filter and fluids in the engine and final drive and snap a few photos of your work and keep the receipt if any future question arrises that a change wasn't made. I would not jump the gun on loading a tune. Bren recommended doing things after the first service for good reason and I would just enjoy stretching her legs more and getting to know her rather than possibly throwing away an early tune and paying more for such a short period of time (but I am a cheap, I mean frugal individual). Check her over like you should be doing already and just enjoy her. The Bren is great, but mine started and ran very well from the get go and was noticeably happier after the miles were added in reduced vibes, better sound and I used more and more of her RPM range too. The Bren will add to that, but you will also see noticeable "good stuff " as is.

Good luck and for the record, your shop is screwing the pooch as this is a very quick and easy service and regardless being their busy time of year they should be able to squeeze you in before that long a time. I guess a rider with a tire puncture or bad battery that gets towed in would have to wait months as well? I've had BMW, Harley and Honda dealers offer to help me on "off brands" while traveling so I would expect my own shop to give me the time of day and reasonable service after spending thousands of $$$ with them.
This is a local BMW dealership, I purchased the bike in St Louis. But I agree a two month wait for a simple service doesn’t really win me over either.
I have all the fluids and filter already out in my shop. I do all my own work on all of my bikes. The flash update is the only concern I have in this case.
Maybe I’ll take a ride to a dealership in another area to get the service done.

This is a local BMW dealership, I purchased the bike in St Louis. But I agree a two month wait for a simple service doesn’t really win me over either.
I have all the fluids and filter already out in my shop. I do all my own work on all of my bikes. The flash update is the only concern I have in this case.
Their attitude ought to reflect why one would want to do future business with them rather push a customer away especially as in general the profit from service(s) is the gift that keeps on giving. Anyway, I am much the same about doing my own work, but I'm fortunate to have a great dealer for the times I want them to do some work and/or get any available computer updates.

Good luck!

I've found it isn't unusual for the beginning of the season to be quite busy in most service areas. Several people are bringing in their bikes to reawaken from a winter slumber, or people have bought new bikes for the season.

My dealer offers pick up & delivery of bikes during the winter since it is less busy. I tend to try to get any service done in the winter to avoid the busy season as well. I tend to buy bikes in winter as well, which minimizes this first service friction. I scheduled the first service for 1 week after the bike was delivered since I knew I'd get thru 600 miles in that first week easily. They were able to do the first service while I waited, but this was also mid December.

If you are doing your own service, getting a GS911 is fairly worth it to allow you to reset the reminders yourself as well as to see any codes that have been thrown since the last reset.

I've found it isn't unusual for the beginning of the season to be quite busy in most service areas. Several people are bringing in their bikes to reawaken from a winter slumber, or people have bought new bikes for the season.

My dealer offers pick up & delivery of bikes during the winter since it is less busy. I tend to try to get any service done in the winter to avoid the busy season as well. I tend to buy bikes in winter as well, which minimizes this first service friction. I scheduled the first service for 1 week after the bike was delivered since I knew I'd get thru 600 miles in that first week easily. They were able to do the first service while I waited, but this was also mid December.

If you are doing your own service, getting a GS911 is fairly worth it to allow you to reset the reminders yourself as well as to see any codes that have been thrown since the last reset.
Thanks, I already picked up the GS911 and have that along with the Bren Tuner waiting out in the garage.

Don't know if it's true in your area, but around these parts, dealers (of many brands...but the local BMW place in particular) reserve Saturdays for "walk-ins" for simple service. It's first come first serve, and usually turns into a bit of a gathering each Saturday. Most folks get there before the dealer opens and they usually get through the bikes by the early afternoon. It's actually kind of fun.

Not sure how Cali is cheaper than most prices listed here, but first service check up at 600 miles (really 1000km) was $240 at a Temecula, CA dealer.
Probably because there's more than one BMW dealer within reasonable distance in SoCal. Out here in flyover country BMW motorcycle dealers are few and far between. Competition is good.

Back