Customs R18

According to the licence plates ,this one is is close to my place .
They re-used the bag holders from a R1200C with some transformation.
The saddles make it.

Last edited:
Better seating position - higher, but further back from the fuel tank than some others. The overall execution seems almost too 'agricultural', though, with the seat screaming 'tractor', almost leaning towards this https://www.r18forums.com/threads/new-seat.9/post-77 but (only just) more elegantly executed. It nevertheless more closely follows the R5 theme; La BMW R18 de Taverne Motorcycles - Cafe Racer (cafe-racer.fr)

I love it! Personally, I always called those types of seats "tractor seats". My old R50/2 had rider & passenger tractor seats and they were GREAT!
That's the best execution of tractor seats that I've seen yet on the R18. If only it could be made for a quick & easy swap between "solo tractor" and two-up "Weekender" seats, I'd be ready to grab the credit card and place an order now.

I do like the retro look compared to bobber one
The tractor saddle is nice, may be a little too high for me, and the fenders are really beautifully designed to remind the R5

Headlamp visor looks like this one:

IMO, the video was kinda painful to watch. Too many fast cuts. Saddle looked well done but, again, I would have preferred a longer, closer view. I feel like these custom bikes are just the tip of the iceberg. If our R18 garners 1/10th of the aftermarket hoopla that the RNineT does, we're gonna be awash in options. Must. Be. Pay. Shunt.

View attachment 1328
San Jose BMW Motorcycles. Pre release of “California Special R18”

I think that it's mostly very cool looking. The retro-levers for the front brake and clutch are VERY cool. Black and gold trim is always sexy, but I think that the black should still be gloss black. The front engine cover is gorgeous, but I wonder if the front fender will come very close to it at full bump. The exhaust system is interesting and probably obnoxiously loud. They should have done something harkening back to the "pee shooter" mufflers of the 60s and back. They should have just gold plated the pushrod tubes, rather than cover them with a custom cover. I don't think that the rear fender would foul the seat at all. If it came close, the lower-back of the seat can be made a little concave in shape.

I WANT BOTH the front and rear fenders, in black OEM paint and matching white pin striping for my R18!!!!!!

This exercise makes me wonder... how long will it be until a smart customizer puts a proper Earles front suspension and fender on the R18?

I think that it's mostly very cool looking. The retro-levers for the front brake and clutch are VERY cool. Black and gold trim is always sexy, but I think that the black should still be gloss black. The front engine cover is gorgeous, but I wonder if the front fender will come very close to it at full bump. The exhaust system is interesting and probably obnoxiously loud. They should have done something harkening back to the "pee shooter" mufflers of the 60s and back. They should have just gold plated the pushrod tubes, rather than cover them with a custom cover. I don't think that the rear fender would foul the seat at all. If it came close, the lower-back of the seat can be made a little concave in shape.

I WANT BOTH the front and rear fenders, in black OEM paint and matching white pin striping for my R18!!!!!!

This exercise makes me wonder... how long will it be until a smart customizer puts a proper Earles front suspension and fender on the R18?
I have actually done the physical tests and measurements. Have you? Or just making with more Yada Yada.

Don't know if this has been posted but I would totally do this if it was offered in a kit at a price I could afford, which it wouldn't be lol

The fender-with-an-engine - known as the Spirit of Passion. Another BMW-commissioned brain-f4rt, like the Bird Cage (below). Precious little cornering clearance on that build, and it hides some of the most appealing aspects of the R18. Nice, but probably best so at motor shows and an art deco museum. It seems well-executed, but Kingston Custom took many of the earlier closeup photos at low-light levels, often to hide de-emphasize Built details.

revival-bmw-boxer-engine-12.jpg (photo courtesy Bike Exif)

Last edited:
Back