Customs R18

A couple of things out of sync again. Those slip-on exhausts and bar-end mirrors belong on a cafe racer. So too, the low-profile rear (only) tire. The handlebars too far forward and the seat hard on the frame - you will need the physical attributes of a primate, e.g. orangutang (as with an earlier example), to be comfortable on it. Kind of nice-from-far-but-far-from-nice cliché fodder. Just nobody seems able to better the BMW version of an R18 Bobber, as had been the case with the R18 Concept.

bmw-r18-cruiser-motorcycle-9a.jpg
bmw-r18-cruiser-motorcycle-15.jpg
(photos courtesy BIKE-EXIF)

Last edited:
Aint got no turn signals. where is the key fob antenna? Too close the metal paths and it will not work.
Agreed. Seemingly only bar-end turn indicators, but it is nevertheless a comedy of aesthetic errors aside from that;
  • The exhausts are megaphones (again) and way too long;
  • Said same (universal?) megaphones have no indents to clear the rear shaft-ends - so their ends stand out too wide;
  • The rear shock is intended not to be seen, to attribute the concept of a hardtail stance;
  • Drag bars on a bobber is just plain wrong, and that seat too narrow;
  • Footpegs and hand controls straight out the R9T catalogue;
  • 18" wheel at the back and 21" in front - these out of the R18 catalogue - are too large. It needs to be16" on both ends and no more than a 19" front on a bobber - not to be confused with a bagger;
  • The 21" front wheel geometry is out of kilter. It will steer a lot quicker, and it looks 'wrong' - too close to the engine. The regular R18 already steers quicker than the Classic does. The R18 needs a raked triple-tree for anything larger than a 19" front wheel, IMHO. I had the same issue with my Victory Cross Country which started out with an 18" front wheel, but I could fit an Arlen Ness® 6.5° tree to compensate for installing a 21" front wheel. No such thing planned for Wave (add your own number) on the R18;
  • Too much black. Everyone does it now - blacker-than-black, black-on-black, blacked-out. Black OTT;
  • That open cavity between the side covers and the lacking rearview mirrors indicate a dealer attempting to be a modder.

Last edited:
A case of don't knock 'em till you tried 'em. I said the same thing for many years. I am installing a set of 14" Paul Yaffe apes on my Victory Cross Country at present. I would not install it on the R18, though.

Monkeying around: The straight dope on ape hanger handlebars - RevZilla

As a wrench who's worked on too many motorcycle to count, I have ridden motorcycles with them and always came away shaking my head in wonder that some folks like them.
I certainly don't intend to change anyone's mind about ape hangers. If you like 'em, that's OK with me. ;)

Back