Exhaust Systems

Hey Gr8,
Got couple questions, if you dont mind
How did you eliminate the Cat? Replace it with a straight pipe?
How did you bypass the CO sensors? Needs anu ECU flush?
Thanks
As far as the information I gathered the BMW R18's & the S1000RR are the only motorcycles made that come with wideband O2 sensors.
Bonus for us.These bikes really will adjust much more than bikes that come with narrow band sensors,a lot more.

this is a quote from BT MOTO/Bren tuning:

Perfect fueling, all the time! The BMW R18 comes equipped with wideband oxygen sensors stock which fully target fuel at every throttle position. Once setup, the bike is running an “auto” tuner all the time! Never needing custom adjustments for aftermarket parts, etc. The bike will adjust itself for the new parts!

I have less miles on my 18 Classic due to the lingering cold weather and salt filled roads...but you are not mistaken, mufflers do break in as well affecting their respective exhaust note.
not to disagree, because i really don't know the answer. but the engineer in me shakes my head no on this one.

i reserve the right to be smarter in the future.

go here for an easy generic video.

keep the sensors. the bmw broad band loop does an excellent job. i did not test the air/fuel ratio but it seemed to run excellent with no tune, as the broad band adjusted as it was designed to do.

gl
Thanks pal,
This is awesome, so do you have any pics from surgery?
And one last thing, where is the flapper?
Thanks again

There are so many riders and customizers bent on changing the R18 exhausts system, I hope that someone will remove the stock mufflers and not want to keep them in storage. I have some ideas to modify them that will require a pair of donor mufflers. The result may end up as junk in the dumpster, if it doesn't work out. But only a pair of OEM mufflers to experiment with will tell the tale. If anyone has a pair in good condition that is just going to collect dust, please let me know.
Regards!
Hello, yes I have a pair of stock R18 Classic mufflers in a box off my bike. They have 3000 miles on. Still need?

I have over 11,000 miles on my R18C and the mufflers did do some break-in.The addition of BT Tuner really gave the stock exhaust a deeper and a little more throaty sound.I also have a K&N air filter and left off the 2 plastic tubes that run to the airbox.
I am suprised nobody has drilled out the baffles.I am not willing to experiment with the $2600 price for a pair of stock mufflers.
Yesterday I drilled out the baffles in my R18 TC using a 1-1/4" hole saw, which is right at the inner diameter of the exhaust. Definitely an improvement in sound, actually very similar to some of the aftermarket mufflers posted in this thread. But it's not obnoxious at all; just a nicer sounding exhaust. If you shine a flashlight down the muffler, if you didn't know better you would assume it came from the factory this way. If you know what you're doing, there's nothing to be afraid of doing this modification.

Yesterday I drilled out the baffles in my R18 TC using a 1-1/4" hole saw, which is right at the inner diameter of the exhaust. Definitely an improvement in sound, actually very similar to some of the aftermarket mufflers posted in this thread. But it's not obnoxious at all; just a nicer sounding exhaust. If you shine a flashlight down the muffler, if you didn't know better you would assume it came from the factory this way. If you know what you're doing, there's nothing to be afraid of doing this modification.
Are these the fish tail pipes like on the first edition r18? If so do you have any pictures of up the tail pipe where you cut? Thanks!

View attachment 3393
Closest thing to mid project:D did it on a whim. Super easy -remove a couple bolts, release clamp, slide off fish tails (just mufflers). Then I just put some exhaust tips on the end (not seen here). Started it up and let it run. Could tell the computer was sorting it out. Ridden 300 miles like this and it’s nice. When I ride through the quiet town nearby I switch to rain or roll and it mellows out the sound for folks.
Please share the sound :) if possible Thanks!

Following this thread, I went a similar route but with the intent of quieting things down. I used EMGO cans and some new baffling. The EMGOs make life easy as they can be disassembled with a single fastener. I slotted three reliefs in each outer tube for mounting with the stock clamps. I cut some drops into the inner tube to break up the sound waves and then rewrapped them with brand new thicker baffling. Sound: if stock Classics are a 1 and the stock EMGOs are a 10, I landed around a 4 —maybe even less, on the volume scale. As far as weight, I’m guessing I dropped 30#. Lots of favorable feedback from folks in the flesh. Cost was about $90USD and about two Sunday morning coffee hours.

View attachment 3569
Please share the sound :) if possible. Looks great!

Thailand Slip ons . The finish could be better . The sound is good . DB killer or not . Without DB killer it s too loud . i opened the holes of the DB killer to adjust the sound . Excellent. The bike runs with less vibrations 1600- 2200 rev/mn.
It doen t give more power for sure . Might be the opposite in fact . But excellent feeling on the bike .
View attachment 1834
Please share the sound : ) Looks nice!

The stock mufflers on the R18 TC sound just right. The note is throaty and better sounding than most stock mufflers. I confess that I have replaced many stock pipes in the past with either Vance & Hines or Cobra, but that was in younger days. Both Vance & Hines and Cobra do a good job with pipes.

The stock mufflers on the R18 TC sound just right. The note is throaty and better sounding than most stock mufflers. I confess that I have replaced many stock pipes in the past with either Vance & Hines or Cobra, but that was in younger days. Both Vance & Hines and Cobra do a good job with pipes.

Then you'll really like what they sound like with the baffle drilled out. An even nicer sound without being LOUD.

Then you'll really like what they sound like with the baffle drilled out. An even nicer sound without being LOUD.
Post a video so we can hear your mod.Probably need to do a post on youtube and transfer to here.

Thx

Back