Exhaust Systems

I wanted the OEM fishtails, but I wanted the 16" front more. That, and all the other adders for the Classic made it an easy decision. Now, the first thing that I did was change out the panniers --and now the exhaust. The EMGO project was just to have a little fun as I do have a set of the Freedom Performance fishtails on order. That said, I would still consider trading my Classic cans and hangers for the OEM fishtails and hangers. Then I'd probably just sell off the original panniers.

Following this thread, I went a similar route but with the intent of quieting things down. I used EMGO cans and some new baffling. The EMGOs make life easy as they can be disassembled with a single fastener. I slotted three reliefs in each outer tube for mounting with the stock clamps. I cut some drops into the inner tube to break up the sound waves and then rewrapped them with brand new thicker baffling. Sound: if stock Classics are a 1 and the stock EMGOs are a 10, I landed around a 4 —maybe even less, on the volume scale. As far as weight, I’m guessing I dropped 30#. Lots of favorable feedback from folks in the flesh. Cost was about $90USD and about two Sunday morning coffee hours.

View attachment 3569

I went with this...
Push the button, change the sound...the version I got looks similar to stock.
That exhaust is a beauty. Has it enhanced the sound as much as you hoped?

I wanted the OEM fishtails, but I wanted the 16" front more. That, and all the other adders for the Classic made it an easy decision. Now, the first thing that I did was change out the panniers --and now the exhaust. The EMGO project was just to have a little fun as I do have a set of the Freedom Performance fishtails on order. That said, I would still consider trading my Classic cans and hangers for the OEM fishtails and hangers. Then I'd probably just sell off the original panniers.
I take it that the hangers on the bike differ from classic to FE?

I take it that the hangers on the bike differ from classic to FE?
That is correct. The hangers on the Classic have a second boss where the lower pannier support fastens. To do a proper swap, you'd swap the cans and hangers --and then likely offer the panniers and supports in the deal for a little extra funding as they would not fly with the OEM fishtails. One could convert a true FE to a Classic rear in about 1/2 hour with a little wrenching.

Like or hate, I think the fishtails are iconic. I wonder if we will see them again in the future. Can you buy them from bmw? How much for the pair? Any idea of hanger cost?
Agreed. I love them, but they (like the Classic arrangement) are prohibitively expensive at about $2500 per side from BMW. I know of at least one fellow that actually traded his new Classic in for a true FE just for the fishtails --the hit ended up being less than sourcing the set after the fact! One could wait for a used set to come up for sale for a reasonable price, but the only real alternative right now is to do a swap. Otherwise, as I have done, buy a pair of the Freedom Performance fishtails. They are not as beautiful as the OEM units, but the price was excellent and I really liked that they had a swappable baffle. I am anxiously awaiting their delivery.

Agreed. I love them, but they (like the Classic arrangement) are prohibitively expensive at about $2500 per side from BMW. I know of at least one fellow that actually traded his new Classic in for a true FE just for the fishtails --the hit ended up being less than sourcing the set after the fact! One could wait for a used set to come up for sale for a reasonable price, but the only real alternative right now is to do a swap. Otherwise, as I have done, buy a pair of the Freedom Performance fishtails. They are not as beautiful as the OEM units, but the price was excellent and I really liked that they had a swappable baffle. I am anxiously awaiting their delivery.
Looking fwd to a report. Did you get the 2.5 or 4?

Howzit? How do you like the sound of the freedom performance fishtails? Did you pay extra for the sound dampers? 33”? I’m wondering if they’ll work with the Corbin saddlebags.

Howzit? How do you like the sound of the freedom performance fishtails? Did you pay extra for the sound dampers? 33”? I’m wondering if they’ll work with the Corbin saddlebags.
I have not received them yet. I bought the 33" and I did add the optional quiet baffles. My guess is that they would work fine as the saddlebags already clear the taller, shorter OEM fishtails.

How did I miss this, they have multiple lengths?
Yeah I’m curious about that because in the pictures on the site one can’t see a difference when you toggle between sizes. These do jut out a little more than the oem which ‘looks’ like a turning clearance consideration. Then of course there’s the sound. Be silly to get and have them the same sound as the ones on the shelf.

Good info all around on this thread. I have a 2021 FE and genuinely believe the factory exhaust is simply too quiet and subdued.

I just ordered the slip-on system from Freedom Exhaust. Went to their factory location in Corona, CA, and spoke with Martin who was very helpful. What may be interesting to some is that Freedom offers a carbon-fiber tip for an additional charge. Its not real carbon fiber but the tips are coated in a carbon fiber looking finish. Near as I can tell this option isn't shown on the website. I went with that option for the additional charge.

I also went with the chrome finish on the pipes themselves because I personally do not like the matte black finish. I would much prefer a gloss black to match the rest of the bike (like the frame and fenders). To me the matte finish looks a bit off. Martin told me they only offer the matte because its the only finish they offer besides chrome that can withstand the heat. They also outsource all of the finishing of the pipes to another company. Said company does offer a shiner black, but Martin told me its still not a true gloss black. What's more, you would have to have it finished through the other company directly as opposed to Freedom.

I am told lead time right now is about 4 weeks. I'll take some pictures once I have them and get them installed.

I have a new R18 with the fishtails, looking to trade for the classic pipes and hangers and purchase a set of Classic panniers. Classic windshield for sale would be a bonus...

Although I am pretty happy with the fishtails and removed baffle concept, I am still messing around while waiting for a painter.

I don't not like this. Customizable baffles make it fun as well.

Attachments

• 077E9835-607A-4C95-AE35-758F3B114B3F.jpeg
    077E9835-607A-4C95-AE35-758F3B114B3F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 100
  • AA1C6CD6-F456-447C-BA69-7CFAC87C3679.jpeg
    AA1C6CD6-F456-447C-BA69-7CFAC87C3679.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 101
Back