Exhaust Systems

theMucker

Premium Member
There are so many riders and customizers bent on changing the R18 exhausts system, I hope that someone will remove the stock mufflers and not want to keep them in storage. I have some ideas to modify them that will require a pair of donor mufflers. The result may end up as junk in the dumpster, if it doesn't work out. But only a pair of OEM mufflers to experiment with will tell the tale. If anyone has a pair in good condition that is just going to collect dust, please let me know.
Regards!

Thanks Gilles. Getting a meaty sound out of stock might mean I would keep them. But its nice to see more of the bike and that shaft with a shorter smaller exhaust.

Couple of vids on You Tube on exhaust mods. One scraps the originals the other modifies them.

WOW!
I don't speak French and, truth to tell, the shorty exhaust system does not appeal to me. Neither does the much louder note that comes with it.
I only understood the British gent a bit more, but I am very intrigued with what he did.

I’m toying with the idea of doing a strait chrome pipe with the same diameter and mounting points as the stock exhaust. If anything I am curious as to what it will sound like.

My R18 is around 400 milles now and the engine is still under break-in.
I noticed today during a ride, that the sound of the stock exhaust was getting louder, specially on Roll and Rock modes.
Does anyone have the same feeling with those exhausts after engine break-in ?

My R18 is around 400 milles now and the engine is still under break-in.
I noticed today during a ride, that the sound of the stock exhaust was getting louder, specially on Roll and Rock modes.
Does anyone have the same feeling with those exhausts after engine break-in ?
I think that got nothing to do with break in. Just if the motor is hot the sound changes a bit and I love it.
BTW, on photos the original fish tail mufflers look not too good. In reality I like them, though I agree, a bit more sound would be better.
with latest EU regulations just not possible.
Wait and see what kesstech and jekill and hyde will offer...

It's great that the aftermarket will be producing alternatives to the stock exhaust. But IMHO the common long tubular or megaphone systems are TOO COMMON and have no character. I really like the unique shape of the stock mufflers. I've looked into the possibility of grinding down and welding smooth the upper and lower seams of the mufflers, but the base copper plating under the chrome would pollute the welds, ruining them. . I wouldn't mind a few more decibels, but I have no use for a noisy motorcycle.
Essentially, IF I change out the exhaust, I'm hoping that there will be a truly unique and NOT LOUD alternative.

Last edited:
WOW!
I don't speak French and, truth to tell, the shorty exhaust system does not appeal to me. Neither does the much louder note that comes with it.
I only understood the British gent a bit more, but I am very intrigued with what he did.
They tried their prototype. He is talking about the sound with and without the DB killer. They say that they will comme up with a new Video when the final version is ready.... the rest is Blabla. Personnally I find the silencer too short... I am manufacturing a new pair of exhaust for my R18 (since the Vance & hines won't be available before the end of the year...). I am using a brand new exhaust that I have from my electraglide that I bought in 2018 (switched immediatly to screamin eagle before I take it out of the dealer). It should look perfect. Will post some pics when it's done.

It's great that the aftermarket will be producing alternatives to the stock exhaust. But IMHO the common long tubular or megaphone systems are TOO COMMON and have no character. I really like the unique shape of the stock mufflers. I've looked into the possibility of grinding down and welding smooth the upper and lower seams of the mufflers, but the base copper plating under the chrome would pollute the welds, ruining them. . I wouldn't mind a few more decibels, but I have no use for a noisy motorcycle.
Essentially, IF I change out the exhaust, I'm hoping that there will be a truly unique and NOT LOUD alternative.
Pretty good sound. Sound is perfect loudness
not the greatest look but work in progress

Attachments

• 6A014B0B-923D-49EF-AE11-BA0F51BC86B5.jpeg
    6A014B0B-923D-49EF-AE11-BA0F51BC86B5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 182
  • 925B0822-5B22-46C1-8FF9-69D8AFBCA290.jpeg
    925B0822-5B22-46C1-8FF9-69D8AFBCA290.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 166
  • B285FA2E-B183-4B48-ACF8-50E612566E13.jpeg
    B285FA2E-B183-4B48-ACF8-50E612566E13.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 149
  • 88D4B0A2-0E3F-4953-B6DC-8E9776497859.jpeg
    88D4B0A2-0E3F-4953-B6DC-8E9776497859.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 157
  • DA7017B6-30EA-41A3-9D35-4CC532F700A3.jpeg
    DA7017B6-30EA-41A3-9D35-4CC532F700A3.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 171
Can any one show me what the exhaust look like behind all the heat cover.
I'm thinking of decat the exhaust Thank you
I'm also wondering if removing the cat innerds will give the R18 a bit more OOMPH! to the exhaust note, without making it very loud.
AND, with an O2 sensor at each end of both catholic converters, how will it effect the the way the R18 runs and/or electronics?

Back